Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is pretty superficial but I went back and watched the highlights of the Caps playoffs, since Shattenkirk is said to have been terrible in the playoffs for them.

Orlov and Niskanen were on the ice for far far more goals against than Shattenkirk. Carlson and Alzner had their share as well. Shattenkirk showed up a few times with some iffy plays no more than Niskanen for example (less IMO). Orpik and Schmidtt also made their share of mistakes.

Obviously does not take into account every shift and all of the chances that might have happened but didn't make it into the highlights, but it was definitely interesting to me to see Orlov and Niskanen abused fairly often on goals against (not all were their fault but they had their share of bad plays with the puck leading to chances against, and plays that are probably just crap that happens but stuff that Shattenkirk got blasted for).

If I have time I'd like to go back and actually watch the full games but I'm not sure if I do

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Shattenkirk was one of my favorite non-Ranger players in the NHL. Now that he is on the team, it just makes me happy

I wish they would do more of these mic'd up videos, I always enjoy them

Reactions: haveandare

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This is pretty superficial but I went back and watched the highlights of the Caps playoffs, since Shattenkirk is said to have been terrible in the playoffs for them.

Orlov and Niskanen were on the ice for far far more goals against than Shattenkirk. Carlson and Alzner had their share as well. Shattenkirk showed up a few times with some iffy plays no more than Niskanen for example (less IMO). Orpik and Schmidtt also made their share of mistakes.

Obviously does not take into account every shift and all of the chances that might have happened but didn't make it into the highlights, but it was definitely interesting to me to see Orlov and Niskanen abused fairly often on goals against (not all were their fault but they had their share of bad plays with the puck leading to chances against, and plays that are probably just crap that happens but stuff that Shattenkirk got blasted for).

If I have time I'd like to go back and actually watch the full games but I'm not sure if I do

Nuh uh bro. Shatty wuz bad fur 13 games with the Caps. Good enuff 4 me 2 say that he is a BAD player. Sad!

Reactions: Holocene

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Also feel like he didn't want to be on the caps--his heart has obviously been on playing for the Rangers. That mental affect has physical effects on your game

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I suspect a lot of the criticism of his game in Washington is due to some perception bias people have toward top UFA rentals. They're watched with an extremely close eye and given very short leashes because many expect them to be the piece that puts a team over the top, and fans of the team in particular don't like parting with the assets necessary to get rentals unless that rental absolutely tears it up for them in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't his strongest streak of play form what I saw, but I think playing with a new and unfamiliar team plus the perception bias people had toward him explains more than most of it.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I suspect a lot of the criticism of his game in Washington is due to some perception bias people have toward top UFA rentals. They're watched with an extremely close eye and given very short leashes because many expect them to be the piece that puts a team over the top, and fans of the team in particular don't like parting with the assets necessary to get rentals unless that rental absolutely tears it up for them in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't his strongest streak of play form what I saw, but I think playing with a new and unfamiliar team plus the perception bias people had toward him explains more than most of it.

I think it boils down to a simpler perception bias than that. It's the classic "I Think Kevin Shattenkirk is going to sign with the Rangers as a UFA in the summer and give them a hometown discount so let's preemptively trash him so we can make jokes for days and mitigate the salt that is sure to flow" bias.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean my feeling was that the Caps as a team weren't really playing up to the level they should have been or had been in the regular season, but Shattenkirk got extra attention because he was the trade deadline acquisition. Lotta guys didn't get it done there, and while it's certainly fair to criticize his play I think it should be in the context of how the team played as well

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I mean my feeling was that the Caps as a team weren't really playing up to the level they should have been or had been in the regular season, but Shattenkirk got extra attention because he was the trade deadline acquisition. Lotta guys didn't get it done there, and while it's certainly fair to criticize his play I think it should be in the context of how the team played as well

They had no real need for Shattenkirk especially regarding how he was used.

They got him just so Pitts couldn't. Using his time in WSH to make any judgment is pointless imo.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just to throw it out there, but Shattenkirk is tied for 1st in points among all defensemen in the league. 2nd in points on the team. On pace for over 75 points on the season.

So while he doesn't provide stellar defense all the time, he is MORE than making up for it on the other end of the ice.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He certainly shows his finishing last night - and it`s very promising next game against Bruins.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Just to throw it out there, but Shattenkirk is tied in points among all defensemen in the league. 2nd in points on the team. On pace for over 75 points on the season.

So while he doesn't provide stellar defense all the time, he is MORE than making up for it on the other end of the ice.

Exactly as advertised. I can dig it.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

He's definitely using the Phil Housley handbook on how to be an offensive defenseman right now. I'll take it for now but he needs to tighten up his d at some point because we need him to do more than be a 4th forward when the playoffs roll around.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Exactly as advertised. I can dig it.
As I said in the post game thread, you are right. He has been exactly as advertised. Great in the other team's zone. Awful in his own. That usually works in the regular season, but takes a very big bite out of your tukhus in the playoffs. You simply could not have him on the ice with a Crosby if he is going to play defense this way. And that hurts you becuase that limits the amount of ice time he is out there and cannot help offensively.

Reactions: Trxjw and Thordic

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Shatty makes our power play much more dangerous. His puck distribution is top notch and he can make passes with a flick of the wrist off the forehand or back hand.....and his shot from the point is dangerous as well. He's easily the best power play point player for us since Brian Leetch.

His defense is a bit leaky but IMO he's better than Yandle was in that area and pretty much every other area and Yandle is no slouch as an offensive defenseman--he's pretty good. Shattenkirk is a better player and a much better contract than Keith.

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm fine with Shattenkirk getting sheltered minutes in the playoffs so long as he's helping the powerplay convert on their chances. Goals are so hard to come by in the playoffs--I can't think of a team that went deep without a productive powerplay aside from the Bruins that one year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm fine with Shattenkirk getting sheltered minutes in the playoffs so long as he's helping the powerplay convert on their chances. Goals are so hard to come by in the playoffs--I can't think of a team that went deep without a productive powerplay aside from the Bruins that one year.

Rangers in 2014 and the Ducks in 2007.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
His wrister from the blue line, just deadly. I see 15+ goals from him this year easily, and a lot of assists just from tips in front.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just to throw it out there, but Shattenkirk is tied for 1st in points among all defensemen in the league. 2nd in points on the team. On pace for over 75 points on the season.

We have some people here who don’t think any amount of offense makes up for anything less than stellar defense. They even seem to hold defensive lapses against puck movers more than they do against guys without offensive skills. They’ll literally never be happy with any d man who puts up points because of perceived defensive problems. They’d complain about Karlsson if he were on this team.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
shatty finally bringing the game as advertised.

have zero problem with him. he's a driver of the offense from the blue line and exactly what we need to make teams respect us up top on the pp.

please AV im begging you though, let 27 take the pp's off. please.

Reactions: haveandare

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Anyone who expected him to be some stellar defensive player had not seen him play extensively in the past. He's a top-4 guy who provides A TON of offense. There are literally very few defensemen in the league who put up points like Shattenkirk can. That's something this team has lacked for a VERY long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad