Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can 100% see AV putting him with Staal.

McD-Smith
Staal-Shatty
Skjei-Holden

Could easily be the pairs for a stretch.

Assuming Holden is still here, I have it stuck in my head that AV goes:
McD-Holden
Staal-Shatty
Skjei-Smith

If Holden is moved:
McD-Smith
Staal-Shatty
Skjei-DeAngelo

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He produce a lot so he is def. worth that contract and he took a discount to get here, and he said in the interview he always had an interest to play here and that`s great! He will probably play with Ryan Mc. since he can cover him in some situations since Kevin main weakness is defense.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The "worse case scenario" pairings of

McD - Holden
Staal - Shatty
Skjei - Smith

or

McD - Smith
Staal - Holden
Skjei - Shatt

are still miles better than what we had last year. Doesn't mean I condone these atrocities, but we really made some great improvements to our D

bootscraper

Jul 22, 2012
New Jersey
I figured I should mention this but my cousin works with Shattenkirk's brother in the city. He said that part of the deal of him coming to NY was pairing with McDonagh. So I would be shocked if he wasn't on the top line.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The "worse case scenario" pairings of

McD - Holden
Staal - Shatty
Skjei - Smith

or

McD - Smith
Staal - Holden
Skjei - Shatt

are still miles better than what we had last year. Doesn't mean I condone these atrocities, but we really made some great improvements to our D

A team that's built to win as a team like the Rangers can't afford to make these "little" personnel missteps, is the problem.

Giving Staal top 4 minutes can very well be the difference between a playoff series win and loss.

Just a thought.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
A team that's built to win as a team like the Rangers can't afford to make these "little" personnel missteps, is the problem.

Giving Staal top 4 minutes can very well be the difference between a playoff series win and loss.

Just a thought.

And not giving Skjei(or Shatty) top 4 minutes would be a catastrophically stupid move.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And not giving Skjei(or Shatty) top 4 minutes would be a catastrophically stupid move.

Our coach "lost" our best defensive pair in a game.

Our coach put Tanner Glass out there to protect a lead.

Our coach consistently put marc staal out there to close out close games...we blew how many late game leads? 3?

What on earth makes you think that something other than the catastrophically stupid decision will be made?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I figured I should mention this but my cousin works with Shattenkirk's brother in the city. He said that part of the deal of him coming to NY was pairing with McDonagh. So I would be shocked if he wasn't on the top line.

I mean you can't really guarantee something like that in a contract but judging from what we heard of Shattenkirk in St Louis (wanting a chance at a bigger role) and what we heard Gorton say about signing him, I'm pretty sure he's going to get that chance.

I also think if the coaches play Staal over Skjei or push Shattenkirk down the depth chart there's going to be some rebuke from the front office. I can see Staal getting a lot of PK minutes but otherwise I think the mindset is to move away from him as a guy the team leans on for even strength minutes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Our coach "lost" our best defensive pair in a game.

Our coach put Tanner Glass out there to protect a lead.

Our coach consistently put marc staal out there to close out close games...we blew how many late game leads? 3?

What on earth makes you think that something other than the catastrophically stupid decision will be made?

The fact that it was discussed after the season was over and it was said they would rely on those guys less, and that Gorton explicitly said that Shattenkirk is here to play top 4 minutes.

I mean I"m purely speculating but reading between the lines it feels like the team and AV knows that he ****ed up in the playoffs with the defensive deployment and it feels like there's a bit of an implied threat looming in the air when it comes to running the defense this year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think Gorton has taken off the kiddie gloves, lit them on fire, and thrown them in the trash.

Shattenkirk won't be treated like Yandle. Big difference between their situations.

He'll be in the Top 4.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Gorton has taken off the kiddie gloves, lit them on fire, and thrown them in the trash.

Shattenkirk won't be treated like Yandle. Big difference between their situations.

He'll be in the Top 4.

Yandle wasn't even treated that badly, it's just that he should have probably been relied upon more heavily than he was. He still had more ES minutes than Staal and got a significant chunk of PP time, you could just argue that the difference in ES minutes between him and Staal should have been bigger.

But Shattenkirk is far and away the best RD the Rangers have now and is literally one of the best if not the best PP QB in the league. It's a bit harder to bury the guy and make up excuses for it with that staring you in the face.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I would not expect GM to tell Shatty that he will be McD's partner as part of his deal but he is our best RH dman so he will be given every chance to play on our #1 pairing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The fact that it was discussed after the season was over and it was said they would rely on those guys less, and that Gorton explicitly said that Shattenkirk is here to play top 4 minutes.

I mean I"m purely speculating but reading between the lines it feels like the team and AV knows that he ****ed up in the playoffs with the defensive deployment and it feels like there's a bit of an implied threat looming in the air when it comes to running the defense this year.

Yes I recall AV talking about limiting Dan Boyles minutes/games played, and trying to keep Dan Girardi fresh....

Remind me how that one worked out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad