Proposal: Kevin Shattenkirk for Valtteri Filppula

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would Yzerman send Drouin with Flip to get Shattenkirk with an extension?

Drouin's just off limits. The only way I could see this happening is with our main outgoing piece being Bishop (our Team MVP), so there would have to be a third party involved.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yzerman would do it in a heartbeat (I'm a TB fan). Can't see STL doing it though. Not sure if STL would be at all interested in Filppula, but if they are, he could easily be added to anything. He does seem like a Hitchcock player.

I keep thinking about a 3-way deal between STL, Dallas, and TB.

To Dallas: Bishop

To Tampa Bay: Shattenkirk, Niemi

To St. Louis: Nichushkin, Peca/Namestnikov/Filppula/Garrison + Picks

Or something based around the framework that TB gets Shattenkirk, Dallas gets Bishop, and STL gets pieces from both sides.

A STL-DAL-TB 3-way seems like a good idea.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So do the blues get to pick from those people in the slashes or do we get them all. If we get to pick then I would do namestnikov. Would think one of garrison or vippula would have to go to Dallas for cap reasons. But blues would do it.

If we were to acquire Shattenkirk, Garrison would likely have to move. It hurts me right in the soul to say that. That said, it wouldn't have to be in this deal. Garrison should still have a fair bit of value. He's the unquestioned #3 on a ECF team. (I guess it would make sense for him to go to Dallas then?)

The main piece TB would be moving is Bishop, who'd be going to Dallas. So the main piece(s) going to STL would be coming from Dallas. I think (emphasis on "think") they'd be willing to part with Nichushkin in order to get Bishop, but I'm not sure if STL would be interested in him. I don't think TB would have an issue sending Namestnikov to STL to sweeten the pot, since we have a couple of minor league centers who might be capable of playing 3C in the event that we move Filppula.

I really think between these three teams, we have the pieces to get something done. I hate the idea of moving Ben Bishop, but it seems like that's the direction the team is going.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If we were to acquire Shattenkirk, Garrison would likely have to move. It hurts me right in the soul to say that. That said, it wouldn't have to be in this deal. Garrison should still have a fair bit of value. He's the unquestioned #3 on a ECF team. (I guess it would make sense for him to go to Dallas then?)

The main piece TB would be moving is Bishop, who'd be going to Dallas. So the main piece(s) going to STL would be coming from Dallas. I think (emphasis on "think") they'd be willing to part with Nichushkin in order to get Bishop, but I'm not sure if STL would be interested in him. I don't think TB would have an issue sending Namestnikov to STL to sweeten the pot, since we have a couple of minor league centers who might be capable of playing 3C in the event that we move Filppula.

I really think between these three teams, we have the pieces to get something done. I hate the idea of moving Ben Bishop, but it seems like that's the direction the team is going.

Do we then expose Koekkoek and hope Vegas doesn't notice? Seems risky, but worth it if Shattenkirk is extended.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yzerman would do it in a heartbeat (I'm a TB fan). Can't see STL doing it though. Not sure if STL would be at all interested in Filppula, but if they are, he could easily be added to anything. He does seem like a Hitchcock player.

Or something based around the framework that TB gets Shattenkirk, Dallas gets Bishop, and STL gets pieces from both sides.

As a Blues fan, if trading Shattenkirk returns Nichushkin, Namestnikov and picks I would be very happy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do we then expose Koekkoek and hope Vegas doesn't notice? Seems risky, but worth it if Shattenkirk is extended.

I was under the impression Koekkoek wouldn't require protecting? My expansion draft IQ is low though, so you might be right. If that's the case though, it's not like we couldn't move KK for assets if need be, and expose somebody else.

Again, we're gonna lose somebody either way. I think it's a mistake to try to make sure your team isn't "too good" just so you don't lose a piece of it.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
As a Blues fan, if trading Shattenkirk returns Nichushkin, Namestnikov and picks I would be very happy.

Blues get a project winger, a middle 6 center, and likely mid-round picks, seems like a lot of meh in return for Shattenkirk.

The Blues already have a struggling big body winger in Jaskin, though Nichushkin has a bit more potential than him.

I think that dealing directly with Tampa would benefit the Blues more as they have more intriguing pieces than Dallas does.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I was under the impression Koekkoek wouldn't require protecting? My expansion draft IQ is low though, so you might be right. If that's the case though, it's not like we couldn't move KK for assets if need be, and expose somebody else.

Again, we're gonna lose somebody either way. I think it's a mistake to try to make sure your team isn't "too good" just so you don't lose a piece of it.

Agreed. I can't remember the protection rules now, either.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Drouin alone is not worth a signed Shattenkirk. Drouin with a big fat minus in Filppula is nowhere near Shattenkirk-value unless you're including some first round pick(s) with him. Drouin, while great, is another LW - and we have too many already. If we're going down this path, I'd rather just get Svechnikov+ from DET and not have to take on Filppula.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
[STL/TBL] Kevin Shattenkirk&2017 5th round (BUF) for Valtteri Filppula&2017 2nd round pick

Could this be IRL trade for with these teams? This would easily help both teams in short term.

I think TBL can fill Filppula's hole easily and maybe are relief about somebody could take his salary pointing next year there will be couple big raises for TBL players.

Blues gets some addition to their center spot, I know Filppula isn't the greatest one, another 3rd liner who could take some relief from Stastny (harderst opponent etc.)

That said Blues could compensate even more and throw to TBL roster Sobotka's rights and he could fill FIlppula's hole and then TBL could add 2nd round pick (BOS)/unproven forward prospect.

I didn't view about could TBL resign Shattery next year or Filppula in 2-years, but in short term deal could this be potential one? Apple to Apple like Doug Armstrong speaks and maybe is looking for this point.

PS. I already know I'll get bashed down from my Blues members, but

andy-kaufman-reporters.jpg

edit. Changed right year for picks.

holy crap... sorry proposal isnt worth a more wordy response

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
At the very best Filppula+Ariz 2nd have slightly negative value. I don't see how you get Shattenkirk coming back the other way unless you add a lot of value. I dont see Tampa giving up that much value for him since they don't have the cap to lock him up. Maybe Ariz 2nd+ at deadline to rent him.
At the deadline, dude isn't gonna have a huge amount of value if he makes it clear he's not sticking around.

But if you wanna give up a first round pick and a really good prospect, be my guest.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Drouin alone is not worth a signed Shattenkirk. Drouin with a big fat minus in Filppula is nowhere near Shattenkirk-value unless you're including some first round pick(s) with him. Drouin, while great, is another LW - and we have too many already. If we're going down this path, I'd rather just get Svechnikov+ from DET and not have to take on Filppula.
:laugh:

They're not trading for a signed Shattenkirk, are they? They're trading for a UFA Shattenkirk. So your little theory is silly. It's also wrong. I'll take Drouin over Shatty.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Don't see Yzerman doing Filppula for 1 year of Shattenkirk, Because the odds that Tampa can resign Shattenkirk are pretty Nil especially if Shatty is seeking around 7x7 and this doesn't make to much sense for St Louis they can get far better then Filppula for Shattenkirk.

If Shatty is worth way more than Filppula, why wouldn't Yzerman do it?

he could flip Shatty for a boatload of futures and rid himself of Filppula's contract.

Bang bang.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Cap Room Blues can't afford to trade one player and take 4 or 5 guys?? Filppula is 5 million alone

Have to remember cap space and Blues only have 2 to 3 m available.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Why do people think Shatty will be so cheap? Teams are always desperate for defense at the deadline. He will return better than a 2+ then let alone if he's traded before the season starts. I doubt he gets traded anyways. They will probably keep him for another run then let him walk.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Shatty is worth way more than Filppula, why wouldn't Yzerman do it?

he could flip Shatty for a boatload of futures and rid himself of Filppula's contract.

Bang bang.

Yzerman would easily do a Shattenkirk for Filppula swap.

But i seriously doubt that Armstrong would, He can get a much better deal then just adding Filppula for Shattenkirk. Pretty sure that Boston will be a major contender for Shattenkirk around Training Camp time.

Even if Yzerman could move 2 years of Filppula for 1 year of Shattenkirk Tampa is in win now mode then Yzerman would be a genius.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
:laugh:

They're not trading for a signed Shattenkirk, are they? They're trading for a UFA Shattenkirk. So your little theory is silly. It's also wrong. I'll take Drouin over Shatty.

Shattenkirk has one full season left on his contract, they wouldn't be trading for an UFA. Players with one full year on their contracts usually get a pretty decent return, BUT, it is almost always futures whether picks, prospects or a combination of the two, or with bottom half of the lineup players thrown in. Trade after trade that is the way it has been for quite a while and I can't think of any trades off hand that a player with one year left on his deal returned a top half of the lineup player who was a top half player at the time. There may have been some of those recently, I just can't think of any.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Would Yzerman send Drouin with Flip to get Shattenkirk with an extension?

No way Yzerman can't afford to give Shattenkirk 7x7 that he will be seeking, Even if Yzerman can move Bishop and Filppula Kucherov will get big money Johnson, Palat, Drouin all will be getting hefty raises here. No way can Tampa afford Shattenkirk. Drouin just isn't available.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

So St Louis pretty much gets the pick of the litter between, Nichushkin, Peca/Namestnikov/Filppula/Garrison+Picks why do i have a feeling that St Louis gets the royal shaft here. Doubt St Louis needs to add any more Blueliners. Filppula isn't much of an upgrade for St Louis. Doubt Army has any interest in Nichushkin.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
St Louis may get a bit more for Shatty at TDL. Not too far off though. Values will be down as teams try to position for the expansion draft and the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad