Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
KLowe_the_emperors_new_clothes.jpg

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
it's probably already been said, but I guess the hockey world can thank Klowe for giving us a textbook example of how not to conduct a rebuild.

shizan

May 1, 2010
Agreed. Until any of us wins 6 rings, it's unfair of us to comment.

Yeah sure he has won 6 cups as a PLAYER. What relevance does that have in talking about his career in management? I'm a teacher so I'm going to relate it to school. If a kid is on the honor roll for six years does that mean he can be the Principal? What baffles me about the "rebuild" is that through all the changes and firings, how did Lowe manage to get a promotion? New GM, new coaching staff, new training staff, new farm system, new scouting system, so basically everything has been changed by this organization except... Kevin Lowe!

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Yeah sure he has won 6 cups as a PLAYER. What relevance does that have in talking about his career in management? I'm a teacher so I'm going to relate it to school. If a kid is on the honor roll for six years does that mean he can be the Principal? What baffles me about the "rebuild" is that through all the changes and firings, how did Lowe manage to get a promotion? New GM, new coaching staff, new training staff, new farm system, new scouting system, so basically everything has been changed by this organization except... Kevin Lowe!

No kidding. By that guy's logic Wayne Gretzky should have been the greatest head coach of all time.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
And yet another reminder of how poorly sarcasm translates into text. Though interestingly some people always seem to get it better than others.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I certainly wouldn't be sad if Lowe was replaced, but lol if you think that's somehow going to magically fix the team.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Kevin Lowe isn't the one organizing the on ice product of the Edmonton Oilers. HE is organizing the sports business of Katz.

What don't people understand about this. Lowe said he wanted out and Katz gave him the out by pushing him up.

Stop blaming Lowe for the Oilers, it just makes you look ignorant.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Its funny how many people think that Kevin Lowe is the problem here..everybody here wanted Oilers to tank for the past 4-5 yrs..when u do that u dont magically become a top team overnight..no matter how talented the kids are its to early for them to be leaders on this team.
And its not easy for edmonton to attract high quality free agents like its in Detroit, new york, etc.

Takes time people..quit ur *****ing u asked for a complete rebuild u got one.

shizan

May 1, 2010
Kevin Lowe isn't the one organizing the on ice product of the Edmonton Oilers. HE is organizing the sports business of Katz.

What don't people understand about this. Lowe said he wanted out and Katz gave him the out by pushing him up.

I wasn't blaming Lowe at all I'm just confused how through all the change he still has a job with the oil but if you are saying that Kevin Lowe has no input to the "product on ice of the Edmonton Oilers". You are the one who looks ignorant and how in the world would you know what Lowe said to Katz?

Billybaroo*

Give me a break.
What does "Head of Hockey Operations" mean.Unbelievable
Anybody who thinks that that fool isn't heavily involved in the hockey decesions is delusional & an apologist of the highest order

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Give me a break.
What does "Head of Hockey Operations" mean.Unbelievable
Anybody who thinks that that fool isn't heavily involved in the hockey decesions is delusional & an apologist of the highest order

Agree.

Weird how KLowe is around in 99% of the hockey meetings on Oil Change.

Weird how Steve Smith said it was KEVIN LOWE who first talked to him about being an assistant coach on the same series. Why is the President of Hockey Ops and not the actual head coach hiring his own assistants. More disfunction.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm not sure if it means anything, but I found it interesting...and in the end, that's all that really matters. ;)

Since our last Stanley Cup win over 23 years ago, the Oilers have had 9 head coach tenures (not counting Eakins as he just got here):

Muckler
Green
Burnett
Low
Lowe
MacTavish
Quinn
Renney
Krueger

Of these guys, the only one that went on to be an NHL head coach anywhere else after leaving the Oilers, was Muckler. Yes Low did do 2 forgettable years with the Rangers, but I've always thought of that as a pity hire by Low's old benefactor Sather because nobody else would hire him, and even Slats could only stomach Low's incompetence for 2 years before sending him on his way.

Goes to show how 'in the family' this org has been for a very long time for the most part...and the few times they went outside the fold so to speak, it's generally ended in swift failure.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

QbUjD.gif

And I'm pretty sure "organizing the sports business of Katz" is Patrick LaForge's job.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
I honestly don't even know what Kevin Lowe's role is with the oilers, what does he do? And is there any reason to believe that his departure from the organization would improve the oilers' on-ice situation?

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Ahhh, time for a look back at not-so-recent history...

The Oilers were placed into receivership. Cal Nichols (future head of the Edmonton Investors Group) lead a season ticket drive to keep the team in town. He appealed to fans to help save the team because it was a very real possibility the team would move if the dismal attendance continued. No one would invest in keeping the team in Edmonton (or loan money for a purchase of the team) with such dismal attendance figures.

The ticket drive was hugely successful. Yet, the team still almost moved. A sale had been arranged to relocate the team to Houston.

ATB had taken the team over from Peter Pocklington as part of bankruptcy proceedings. They received a $120 Million offer to move the team to Houston from the owner of the Rockets. ATB agreed to sell the team to the EIG for $100 Million. Nichols had arranged for loans of $40 Million so needed $60 Million in cash to keep the team in town. At the time of the Houston offer the EIG had $50 Million in cash.

Getting that last $50 Million in a weak economy was tough. Probably wouldn't have happened if a lot of fans who bought tickets as a means of helping save the team simply stayed at home and watched on tv.

It wasn't a matter of ego or entitlement. It was the reality of the situation.

Fairly accurate but not quite.

The City had agreed to renovate the Coliseum while Pocklington was still in charge and with the assistance of the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) a Relocation Agreement was put in place as one of the conditions of the renovation and the lease with the blessing of the NHL. This is when the lower level Executive Suites were installed.

One item in the Relocation Agreement was that if an offer were made to sell the Oilers, Pocklington (and ATB as a result of the insolvency proceedings) would be obligated to sell the team/franchise to a 'local' owner for a fixed price of $70 million US within 30 days of the initiating offer. A similar Relocation Agreement accompanied the EIG purchase but it expired before the Katz sale.

The Alexander Offer was made and in 30 days the EIG led by Nichols, Jim Hole, Bruce Saville and Gary Gregg (amongst many others) raised sufficient funds coupled with a loan from Scotiabank to meet the 30-day deadline and buy the Oiler franchise with NHL approval. The actual deal closed at about 9:30. p.m. on the 30th day in the offices of the former firm of Cruikshank Karvellas (with dozens of people in attendance) so it was that tight to meet the deadline. Jim Hole (then head of the EIG) handed a bank draft to Paul Haggis of ATB to close the sale.

The conversion rate on the date of closing for the Canadian Dollar equivalent of $70 million US was slightly over $100 million Canadian.

Laser photo-copies of the $100+CDN draft are in several downtown offices to this day.:)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Of those 4 years we went to the playoffs, 3 of those years were because of Sather. That 4th year had a lot to do with Sather as well.

Almost every move he's made has been a lame attempt at saving Edmonton from finishing in last place.

Vannek - Get a 1st line winger so that we can have a big guy to put up big goals. We give up four first rounders and probably fail to attract the free agents we need to stay competitive while we fail to keep the cupboard stocked with prospects.

Visnovsky - We traded away two rugged integral parts of our penalty kill who were happy to be in Edmonton for a PMD who eventually demanded to be traded for someone who was made of glass.

Heater - Again Lowe is trying and willing to pay a high price for someone who's got a record for changing his workplace as almost as often as me.

Redden - There were so many rumours about Edmonton's interest in this guy to the extent that you'd actually see a the odd Oil fan with a Redden jersey. Great thing we didn't deal for him, because Chara did for him what Markov did for Komi.

Smyth - Brought him back for cheap as a PR stunt to make the fans happy. It was too late, though. He was burned out.

The only difference between Lowe and Milbury is that Lowe was always shooting for guys with a good track record, while Milbury was usually dealing for potential.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

stop blaming him? so, this mess is just a strange thing that evolved by accident, like a weird looking rock formation? he is that guy at the top throughout the whole thing. under his tenure, the team has been the worst or near the worst in the league. every decision has backfired; every single move hasn't worked.

his is, more than any other single person (well, Tambo is close), the most to blame. denying this make you look ignorant.

why did Lowe go with MacT to Toronto to interview Eakins? he needed to be there? he doesn't trust his manager to hire his own guy? what about the Yakupov pick? Tambo wanted to take Murray. who over-ruled? we will never know.

we will never know how involved Lowe actually is, but there are many indications that he is more than just on the periphery. I have it on inside authority from a 30 year, important Oiler's employee (who we all know) that KLowe is calling the shots. and even if he isn't, his record as President of hockey operations is deplorable.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
QbUjD.gif

And I'm pretty sure "organizing the sports business of Katz" is Patrick LaForge's job.

He has over all control of hockey operations for the various teams. He hires people to run the Oilers. Have no fear, I'm sure Mact and Eakins can be fired.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
So the scapegoat is the guys who had been around the longest?
Or is it because he is the most passionate of the bunch?
First of all he is not the GM, this is a fact, he is one voice among many and not the GM.
He likely cares the most, know hockey well and he is a winner, 6 cups does matter to me. I'm tired of people blaming him because they think he runs all the operations, he doesn't. He is now just a scapegoat cause he's been around the longest. Maybe the fact he has drifted to the background is the problem?

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
The rebuild was actually looking pretty good about a month ago, everyone seemed to agree that sooner or later this team would be good. The one thing that has changed since that time is Dallas Eakins. Just as he envisioned getting all the credit, he now takes the blame. My wish is 5 points in next 5 games or he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad