Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I guess we have to determine what being "good" at his job would look like.

During his tenure as GM the team lost three times to the Stars in the quarter finals, failed to qualify for post season three times and made one run all the way to the SC Finals. Given the budget constraints he was operating under at the time, and the mathematical realities of a thirty team league, I think that's a more than decent record for an eight year period. Is it "good"? Maybe not, but many teams around the league would have had a worse performance over those eight years.

We're not just talking about his tenure as GM though. He became president of hockey operations 5 years ago and what exactly has happened since then that gives us hope for the future? A lot of failure on the ice, failure to hire the right people to get this team moving in the right direction, a lot of old buddies being given jobs coaching or scouting for the organization without question of merit. If Tambellini was as bad a GM as everyone says, and it's hard to argue that, why did it take 5 years to get rid of him? Why havent they worked on changing the make up of this team beyond the occasional fourth line thug they've managed to pick up or their first overall draft picks?

Maybe we just need to be patient but the act is wearing thin. The old boys club looks they should be a thing of the past. I'd rather remember them for their playing days than deal with them in management.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
I 100% agree with the sentiments in this thread, but I just see it as a waste of our time and breath (keyboard strokes?) to keep beating this dead horse.

Lowe is a personal and close friend of the second wealthiest person in the entire province, the one who happens to own this organization. He will just keep getting promotions/new titles because Katz won't ever ask him to get his hands off the on ice product.

Simple as that.

Does Lowe deserve to go? Yes about 7 years ago. Will he? Never, so save your arguments.

Billybaroo*

The moves that got us to the Cup final WERE the moves that put us in the jackpot we are currently in.

That's what happens when you trade for a bunch of rentals.

Youre left with lint in your pockets once the party's over.

I cant make it any more plain than that.

Oh my: Again suggesting that the moves that got us into the SCF were the reasons that we have had 7 years of futility shows a profound lack of logic and understanding.
No surprise here.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Oh my: Again suggesting that the moves that got us into the SCF were the reasons that we have had 7 years of futility shows a profound lack of logic and understanding.
No surprise here.

They did mortgage the future somewhat but I think it was the moves afterwards that really scuttled things. Chasing Nylander, signing Souray, trading for Pitkanen then dumping him, signing the offer sheets for Vanek and Penner, trading away Greene and Stoll, chasing Heatley, signing Khabibulin (even if some of those came under Tambo's watch at the time it was pretty clear he was involved, just like he was involved in the good things like signing Schultz)

OfferSheet

Oct 11, 2008
I 100% agree with the sentiments in this thread, but I just see it as a waste of our time and breath (keyboard strokes?) to keep beating this dead horse.

Lowe is a personal and close friend of the second wealthiest person in the entire province, the one who happens to own this organization. He will just keep getting promotions/new titles because Katz won't ever ask him to get his hands off the on ice product.

Simple as that.

Does Lowe deserve to go? Yes about 7 years ago. Will he? Never, so save your arguments.

It's is absolutely mind-boggling to me that a business man of Katz's nature does this. If someone was running the Rexall operations the way that Lowe has run the Oilers, they would have been fired a long time ago. It is incredible that Katz has let his personal friendships influence his decisions on this organization.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
It's is absolutely mind-boggling to me that a business man of Katz's nature does this. If someone was running the Rexall operations the way that Lowe has run the Oilers, they would have been fired a long time ago. It is incredible that Katz has let his personal friendships influence his decisions on this organization.

If Rexall was run by someone like Lowe, Katz would be a lot more concerned because that's where he makes his money.

The hockey team is peanuts in comparison.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You ever heard of the Buffalo Bills ?

Cleveland Browns, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Blue Jays, Minnesota Timberwolves, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals...

And I'm not just talking about recently, I mean going back over a decade these franchises have done zippo.

It's one thing to say the Oilers recent stretch in the NHL is one of the worst, and it is.

But there are teams out there in every sport that have had more futile records than we have. Take this excerpt about the Pirates for instance:

After a run of regular-season success in the early 1990s (winning three straight East Division titles), the Pirates struggled in subsequent decades, with 20 consecutive losing seasons—the longest such streak in North American professional sports history—before posting a winning record in 2013.

That's pretty damn bad.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I avoided this thread for a bit because I new the OP would have his typical OP rant about how the OP feels about the OPerations of Lowe. I think the OP is a little bit lOPsided with the constant lOPping off of Lowes credentials.

I believe Lowe is getting heat for what he did in the past, and not so much in his current role...exept for a few posters.....like the OP. :D

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I think it's funny how the Oilers ended up drafting so well for so many years because of how horrible KLo and MacT were as GM and coach and through it all they've ended up being promoted. I don't mean "funny haha" or "funny ironic", more like "funny projectile vomit".

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it's funny how the Oilers ended up drafting so well for so many years because of how horrible KLo and MacT were as GM and coach and through it all they've ended up being promoted. I don't mean "funny haha" or "funny ironic", more like "funny projectile vomit".

the oilers have drafted well? What am I missing here

achcht

May 24, 2011
I started a new thread, not realizing this thread existed. Here is what it says:

I know I am in the majority when I say that Kevin Lowe's time is up with the Oilers. Rather than a Lowe bashing thread, I would like to take a subjective view of what moves have been made as both GM and President of the Oilers in order to give a fair results based evaluation. Here are a couple of examples just off the top of my head:

Good - The Pronger and Peca moves
Good - Trading for Roloson at the trade deadline

Bad - drafting Jacques and Pouliot instead of Parise
Bad - Horcoff contract

There have a few good examples in this thread. Please feel free to add to this list. I am not really interested in comments like "he's an idiot" or "he said such and such". I am more interested in the facts. Specifically, the trades, draft picks, moves, etc. that have been made in has tenure. Opinions don't really matter. What really matters are facts and results.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I started a new thread, not realizing this thread existed. Here is what it says:

I know I am in the majority when I say that Kevin Lowe's time is up with the Oilers. Rather than a Lowe bashing thread, I would like to take a subjective view of what moves have been made as both GM and President of the Oilers in order to give a fair results based evaluation. Here are a couple of examples just off the top of my head:

Good - The Pronger and Peca moves
Good - Trading for Roloson at the trade deadline

Bad - drafting Jacques and Pouliot instead of Parise
Bad - Horcoff contract

There have a few good examples in this thread. Please feel free to add to this list. I am not really interested in comments like "he's an idiot" or "he said such and such". I am more interested in the facts. Specifically, the trades, draft picks, moves, etc. that have been made in has tenure. Opinions don't really matter. What really matters are facts and results.

good- Samsonov, Spacek and Gilbert trades

bad- Pronger trade to ANA, letting Glencross go, chasing Hossa and Heatley (with Tambo of course)

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
yah Lowe has made some stupid decisions - hiring Tambellini was his biggest, but the man traded us into the Stanley Cup final with some absolute robberies. Not since Sather have I seen that around here or anywhere else, except maybe in Pittsburgh, but they keep choking in the playoffs.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Last I looked Kevin Lowe wasnt skating on the blue line when all this suck went down.

cyril*

Last I looked Kevin Lowe wasnt skating on the blue line when all this suck went down.

He's in charge of "Hockey Operations". If he's not responsible for the record of the Oil, then who the **** is?

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
yah Lowe has made some stupid decisions - hiring Tambellini was his biggest, but the man traded us into the Stanley Cup final with some absolute robberies. Not since Sather have I seen that around here or anywhere else, except maybe in Pittsburgh, but they keep choking in the playoffs.

2006 was a long time ago. How many other executives in pro sports would get a free pass because of a playoff run 7 years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad