Kevin Lowe Appreciation Thread

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Peter Pocklington got a standing ovation here just a few months ago.

Time heals all wounds.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Chiarelli or whats his face isnt emotional??!! He traded away a bonafide bluechip Potential Franchise center for partying a few nights (or maybe Neely was his Lowe) either way his replacement aint no Prince.

Not trying to defend Lowe at all costs..just being Real. Chiarelli will do fine but aint no geneous.

Yes, and he also fleeced the Leafs into giving up Bonafide Potential Franchise Center in Seguin /D. Hamilton and 2nd for P. Kessel.

I'd say thats pretty Genius.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Peter Pocklington got a standing ovation here just a few months ago.

Time heals all wounds.

That's still ridiculous to me

The only reason there is even an Edmonton Oiler franchise in existence is because he got outsmarted by a rather bad mayor in the 90s when he was extorting the city for renovations.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Anybody who follows me on twitter knows that nobody will be happier than I will if/when he and MacT are no longer calling the shots.

That being said, I'm disappointed to come to this thread (I intended to start one after something was announced - I agree this is premature) and see people still spout vitriol about the man. I don't think anybody could make a convincing argument that there is a person in this world who is as passionate about and loyal to the Oilers as Kevin Lowe. We all know alla about his performance post-Pronger; however, that won't stop me from appreciating one of the greatest players to ever wear the copper and blue, one of the most passionate coaches and GMs, a guy who could have followed Slats to the bright lights of New York, but didn't. That doesn't even touch on all the good that he did in the community (which, alone, should earn him the due respect of every Edmontonian, even if they don't like him as a GM as I don't).

Quite frankly, it took balls to launch the team on the total rebuild path that he did. Had McDavid (should he turn out to be a generational talent) been available first overall in the Hall draft, maybe everything would seem so different. As much as the GMs he's hired failed to improve the team (and the issues with both professional and amateur scouting), a person should never forget the degree to which luck plays a part in these things. We should particularly be mindful of that after winning the lotto.

If I ever come across Kevin Lowe, I'll thank him for his passion and loyalty to the Oilers, and for being a true leader in the community to an extent which is surpassed by precious few (and I'm not limiting that statement to hockey people).

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Anybody who follows me on twitter knows that nobody will be happier than I will if/when he and MacT are no longer calling the shots.

That being said, I'm disappointed to come to this thread (I intended to start one after something was announced - I agree this is premature) and see people still spout vitriol about the man. I don't think anybody could make a convincing argument that there is a person in this world who is as passionate about and loyal to the Oilers as Kevin Lowe. We all know alla about his performance post-Pronger; however, that won't stop me from appreciating one of the greatest players to ever wear the copper and blue, one of the most passionate coaches and GMs, a guy who could have followed Slats to the bright lights of New York, but didn't. That doesn't even touch on all the good that he did in the community (which, alone, should earn him the due respect of every Edmontonian, even if they don't like him as a GM as I don't).

Quite frankly, it took balls to launch the team on the total rebuild path that he did. Had McDavid (should he turn out to be a generational talent) been available first overall in the Hall draft, maybe everything would seem so different. As much as the GMs he's hired failed to improve the team (and the issues with both professional and amateur scouting), a person should never forget the degree to which luck plays a part in these things. We should particularly be mindful of that after winning the lotto.

If I ever come across Kevin Lowe, I'll thank him for his passion and loyalty to the Oilers, and for being a true leader in the community to an extent which is surpassed by precious few (and I'm not limiting that statement to hockey people).

Yeah. No. Kevin Lowe is a pos cancer that's been the root of all the problems this club has had in the 21st century. Him, his stupid buddies, and his huge ego can **** right off.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, and he also fleeced the Leafs into giving up Bonafide Potential Franchise Center in Seguin /D. Hamilton and 2nd for P. Kessel.

No, he didn't. On September 2009, Chiarelli traded Kessel in exchange for two 1sts an a 2nd. One year before Seguin was even drafted. I doubt that he knew that Toronto's pick would be in the top2 on draft day. Heck, if Florida/Columbus/Isles had won the lottery that year, Bruins might have been stuck with Erik Gudbranson... IIRC, he was the consensus #3 prospect that year.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I agree with this..but "loyalty" was also one of the words used to describe the Oilers the other day, and how can you not be loyal to the one who had Gretzkys back at all times in the 80's?
Yes I agree he wasnt a good GM or President of hockey operations..but he did more than bleed copper and blue..I'm all for giving him some glorified front office position..I want him to be there when the Oilers win again..maybe not as one of the top 5 guys in management but in some less significant role more than just "advisory, or Scout of Hockey in the Middle East"

If he actually loved this team and this town he would have A. Brought in competent managers to create success or B. Quit so somebody could do A.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
An overrated player who rode the coattails of better players to those 6 Stanley Cups he's so ****ing proud of and a terrible GM, POHO and overall hockey individual.

I hope Lowe is fired and never shows his face in this city again.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
**** Kevin Lowe, that jerk off that ****ing spewed ******** at that press conference in 2013 told me all i need to know about him. Egotistical, stubborn, selfish, tier 1 and tier 2 fans? Are you kidding? He destroyed the passion of us oiler fans for 9 years. For 9 years we got kicked around by the flames and canucks.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I appreciate that if Klowe played in an alumni game that seeing him wear the jersey would allow me to remember a time when I didn't dislike him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I appreciate that if Klowe played in an alumni game that seeing him wear the jersey would allow me to remember a time when I didn't dislike him.

I wonder if they will have an alumni game to close out Rexall? Though I've heard that Wayne doesn't like those games.

Oct 15, 2008
79th all time in defensive scoring. Real ****ing impressive.

He was a good player. Scoring wasnt what his role was. But he was a very good defensive dman nonetheless. People who are conflating his playing career with his management career are way off base. He was a good coach and a good player and a horrid gm. He also appears to be arrogant and vindictive.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Your sanctimonious raving doesn't rebut their point.

Their point? They came into an appreciation thread (it is right in the title) and unloaded on the subject of the appreciation thread. The first poster's ultimate point was that Kevin Lowe could go **** off.

The second made the assertion that Kevin Lowe was an overrated hockey player (which I did actually rebut, thank you) and that he hopes a person with countless efforts for charities and community endeavours was no longer welcome in the city. I expressed my opinion of what that said about the poster and those who think like him.

Also, it isn't sanctimonious to reject the assertion that a person who has lived in Edmonton so long and has been so committed to the community is no longer welcome because of the job they've done as a hockey executive. Showing contempt for something that is contemptible is not sanctimonious.

Oct 15, 2008
CBzUbdKWIAA0IfK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah, we need to learn our place, bow down and kiss the 6 Rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
**** off and keep ****ing off Lowe. And take that brain dead **** Mact with you.

He was a good player. Scoring wasnt what his role was. But he was a very good defensive dman nonetheless. People who are conflating his playing career with his management career are way off base. He was a good coach and a good player and a horrid gm. He also appears to be arrogant and vindictive.

:laugh:

Apparently you aren't one of those.

Agree, btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad