Kevin Lowe Appreciation Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is he fired yet? What's taking so long? I can hardly contain my appreciation.
Just a visitor passing by... man this post is funny.

My two cents: I feel bad for Lowe. He obviously is passionate about winning and did what he could to put the franchise forward. Unfortunately effort only takes you so far. The Oilers are in great shape with Chiarelli. And while this is probably long overdue, I guess it all happens for a reason because if McDavid is the real deal and you've now added Chiarelli, the Oilers will proabably be in contention in a hurry.

Terrifyer

Oct 9, 2013
I have no appreciation for Lowe whatsoever. I don't think his love for the franchise should be questioned, but the utter arrogance he has while doing his "job" is astounding. Obviously the idiotic tier statement did him no favors, but for someone who, as a manager, everything he did turned to garbage, he was arrogant enough to stay with it and try and right the ship instead of gracefully backing away. Backing away and giving the keys to someone else would have left him a favorable spot in the eyes of the fans. He will forever be known as the most incompetent executive this franchise has ever known. Good riddance, from a Tier 2 fan.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Lowe put in "effort" for one year. After that him, Dumbo and Mac T sat on their hands and watched the train go by. The reason why they are being replaced is because in the last 9 years they have not proven they have the least amount of ability to improve a hockey team. Also telling the world you are going to suck next year after years of top picks before the previous season is even over is the worst display of failure I have ever seen. That statement alone is worth the canning as far as I am concerned.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I have no appreciation for Lowe whatsoever. I don't think his love for the franchise should be questioned, but the utter arrogance he has while doing his "job" is astounding. Obviously the idiotic tier statement did him no favors, but for someone who, as a manager, everything he did turned to garbage, he was arrogant enough to stay with it and try and right the ship instead of gracefully backing away. Backing away and giving the keys to someone else would have left him a favorable spot in the eyes of the fans. He will forever be known as the most incompetent executive this franchise has ever known. Good riddance, from a Tier 2 fan.

Well maybe stay away from this thread then and start another i hate Lowe one.

Excuse him for trying to turn the ship around.. Not giving the key away turned into Draisaitl and McDavid... And his intentions were good.

Where was the interview process for hiring of Chiarellii... And what makes you think Chiarelli will have an interview process to get the next coach... Its the same old ****... Chiarelli's cup ring seems to be the main focus of hiring... We got a guy who knows a thing or 2 about winning.. Whoop d doo..

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
A lot of the little things that everyone criticized Lowe for will probably happen during the new reign as well, but people will accept it in their giddiness over the regime change and the belief that it will all work out in the end. I hope it does, else everyone will be saying awful things about Nicholson and Chiarelli on here when that time comes.

If people cannot have any appreciation for what Kevin Lowe has done for the Oilers and Edmonton over the decades, I suppose they find it hard to appreciate anything. It is not particularly difficult to see what he has done, what he has tried to do, and what he wanted to have happen.

feff

Feb 17, 2003
Tokyo
Visit site
CBzUbdKWIAA0IfK.jpg

Reactions: Burnoutboi

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
A lot of the little things that everyone criticized Lowe for will probably happen during the new reign as well, but people will accept it in their giddiness over the regime change and the belief that it will all work out in the end. I hope it does, else everyone will be saying awful things about Nicholson and Chiarelli on here when that time comes.

If people cannot have any appreciation for what Kevin Lowe has done for the Oilers and Edmonton over the decades, I suppose they find it hard to appreciate anything. It is not particularly difficult to see what he has done, what he has tried to do, and what he wanted to have happen.

IDK about that. I'm confident Bobby Nick and PC won't treat the organization as a retirement home for their buddies. I'm confident they won't tolerate poor performance from anyone for near as long as Lowe did (which was forever). I doubt they'll have press conference meltdowns or drunken callins to Talk radio.

But, this is an appreciation thread so: aside from the above, he really only made 2 massive errors: Tambo and Mact. (Well, you could throw playing hardball with Smyttie in there, too) If he had gotten one GM hire right, who knows.

He does bleed Oiler blue and orange. He does love Edmonton. I suppose he does deserve a job with the organization, just not in hockey ops (well, he could be a scout, I suppose). He did suggest to Bob to go after Chia, or at least, was completely on board. He was ready to do the right thing and step away, so he deserves kudos for that.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
IDK about that. I'm confident Bobby Nick and PC won't treat the organization as a retirement home for their buddies. I'm confident they won't tolerate poor performance from anyone for near as long as Lowe did (which was forever). I doubt they'll have press conference meltdowns or drunken callins to Talk radio.

I'm referring to hiring of "their guys", which most definitely will happen. I wouldn't bet against Chiarelli putting his brother on the scout payroll, for instance. They will make several hires without scouring the market as well, perhaps including who the next head coach is. Things that Lowe/MacT would've been attacked for. Time will tell what they do when failure comes (and it will, as it almost always does eventually) during their tenure and how they react to it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm referring to hiring of "their guys", which most definitely will happen. I wouldn't bet against Chiarelli putting his brother on the scout payroll, for instance. They will make several hires without scouring the market as well, perhaps including who the next head coach is. Things that Lowe/MacT would've been attacked for. Time will tell what they do when failure comes (and it will, as it almost always does eventually) during their tenure and how they react to it.

fair enough.
I wonder if he'll hire Keith Gretzky? that would be... weird.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lets face it, from being the first ever Oilers draft pick to coaching, becoming GM and keeping the Oilers competitive before the Pronger curse..Lowe has always bled copper and blue.
Hopefully he gets a job as a head scout or something..
Dont think he's as terrible as some make him out to be..

Not sure if serious or not...:shakehead

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Not sure if serious or not...:shakehead

His time as GM was not train wreck material until the summer of '06. Those last couple of seasons were a disaster and it only really got worse. Something happened, after what Pronger did, and there was no going back.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
His time as GM was not train wreck material until the summer of '06. Those last couple of seasons were a disaster and it only really got worse. Something happened, after what Pronger did, and there was no going back.

I have a healthy dislike of KLowe... but I hope time will heal the wounds. He needs to just go away and stay away for awhile, and stay out of view. The damage has been done.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I appreciate Kevin Lowe for stepping aside to let somebody else take the reins. It must have been an extremely difficult thing to do.

As we know he has a massive ego, and for him to accept this move must have been extremely painful. Admitting failure is difficult for all of us, admitting failure in such a public venue must be that much harder.

There's no doubt that Lowe loves this team with all of his heart, and there's no doubt that he desperately wanted to fix things. It must have really hurt to concede that the best thing for the team would be if he stepped away.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think, and hope, that the perception of Lowe changes as the team gets better.

I appreciate him for what he's done as an Oiler. As a manager...not so much.

It was a job he didn't excel at.

And perception of the fans through the guise of losing. I'm as guilty as anyone for getting a hate on, but I don't want to hate him because he failed at a specific job.

It's kind of hard to let it slide so much though. Too many years of losing makes the slide a bit bumpy at times.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I don't harbour any ill will towards Kevin Lowe. I've been an Oiler fan since the WHA. After the early success of the franchise, I've watched a very painful striping away of the team's greatness. We've watched a lot of lackluster Oiler teams since the Stanley Cup days, and for the past nine seasons, the team has been abysmal on the ice. It's been painful to endure as a fan, but the question is how else do you assemble a team with

Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Leon Draisaitl
and Connor McDavid on it?

It's unheard of to have players with that kind of pedigree on one team and so young in today's NHL. We are on the verge of seeing a team with the potential to be the best Oiler team since the 1980s Oilers. With McDavid on board a window has opened up to have a highly successful franchise. I am probably alone, but I would be very happy to see Kevin Lowe sip champagne from the Stanley Cup again. He has been criticized heavily throughout this rebuild, the focal point of fan anger and dissatisfaction. The man has enormously broad shoulders.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
I don't harbour any ill will towards Kevin Lowe. I've been an Oiler fan since the WHA. After the early success of the franchise, I've watched a very painful striping away of the team's greatness. We've watched a lot of lackluster Oiler teams since the Stanley Cup days, and for the past nine seasons, the team has been abysmal on the ice. It's been painful to endure as a fan, but the question is how else do you assemble a team with

Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Leon Draisaitl

It's unheard of to have players with that kind of pedigree on one team and so young in today's NHL. We are on the verge of seeing a team with the potential to be the best Oiler team since the 1980s Oilers. With McDavid on board a window has opened up to have a highly successful franchise. I am probably alone, but I would be very happy to see Kevin Lowe sip champagne from the Stanley Cup again. He has been criticized heavily throughout this rebuild, the focal point of fan anger and dissatisfaction. The man has enormously broad shoulders.
Don't forget Darnell Nurse :D

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

But, this is an appreciation thread so: aside from the above, he really only made 2 massive errors: Tambo and Mact. (Well, you could throw playing hardball with Smyttie in there, too) If he had gotten one GM hire right, who knows.

He does bleed Oiler blue and orange. He does love Edmonton. I suppose he does deserve a job with the organization, just not in hockey ops (well, he could be a scout, I suppose). He did suggest to Bob to go after Chia, or at least, was completely on board. He was ready to do the right thing and step away, so he deserves kudos for that.

I am glad you said it it will be about accountability, performance, and bring respectability back to the organization.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Everybody hires there guys, and yea Chia had his brother working for him, but at the end of the day are the guys he choosing qualified how many OBC can you say were qualified for their jobs or did a good job.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Leon Draisaitl

I don't think he should of stuck with Tambellini for as long as he did or hired MacTavish but i think you make a good point as for many of those years we were all behind the idea of tanking for good picks, we just didn't want to get next to no assets for our veterans. Nurse-Draisaitl-McDavid has been overkill, the Oilers were supposed to compete after the Yakupov draft, Kevin Lowe himself suggested it would be 5 years after the Hall draft untill we made the playoffs again so it's not like he wasn't honest this whole time.

Basically i hear what you are getting at, this is what we wanted, it's just gone on too long. MacTavish was supposed to kick the rebuild into a competitive stage and instead things got worse, but *****ing about Lowe's "incompetence" for the first 5 or so years of the rebuild is revisionist history and not honest about the predicament and wants of the fanbase at the time. We all saw what a true star like Pronger did for us and after he left we all felt we needed those kinds of players to have high level success, so we all embraced the draft as the way to get those players.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Kev's made some mistakes but he's a proven winner. He's got enough rings to fill one hand and an extra. I think with all the crap he gets from our own fans he should be fed up and go Manage another NHL team but he won't because he's just that loyal to the copper and blue.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Kev's made some mistakes but he's a proven winner. He's got enough rings to fill one hand and an extra. I think with all the crap he gets from our own fans he should be fed up and go Manage another NHL team but he won't because he's just that loyal to the copper and blue.

The Bonnyville Pontiacs might hire him. They've been getting pretty desperate.

Reactions: Summary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad