Kevin Lowe Appreciation Thread

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
I agree with you, OP. I want him gone so bad I can taste it, but I also understand that he wanted to win as much as any fan. He just doesn't have the tools to make it happen, and he was allowed to stay in the job far longer than he should have. I hate the job he did, I don't hate the person he is.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
You stayed at least 3 years too long and did some very bad things. Your loyalty to the Orange and Blue and the city of Edmonton is unquestionable IMO. Good luck in retirement.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for landing us Pronger and the supporting cast in 2006 (spacek, vis, samsonov, peca). He was a good coach too for the year he coached before moving up. As a player he was before my time but looks like he knew a thing or two about winning back then as well.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Thank you for the 2006 Cup run.

No thanks for trading Smytty. Not trading Comrie for Corey Perry. Getting jack sh** for Pronger. Although we did end up with Ebs and Brossoit. And hiring MacT as GM.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Disagree...he was a great Oiler as a player. Is Doug Wilson a lesser player because of the shatfest in San Jose? Is Gretzky a hack because of his debacle in Phoenix?
Did the fans in Chicago have to sit through Doug Wilson's mismanagement? If they had they may very well have a different opinion of him. Those years in Phoenix are exactly why I wouldn't want Gretzky in an important front office role here.

I've never downplayed Lowe's role as a player. I just said that stuff happened a long, long time ago. I thought I made that clear in my last post. What I did say is that when I think of Lowe now it isn't the player that comes to my mind. It's the terrible executive. It's going to take a long time for that to change for me. Not saying it isn't possible, I really don't know. It won't happen right away though.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
I hate you Lowe. You ran this team into the gutter for 9 straight years. I'll never forgive you for ruining hockey for me. The only thing I appreciate is when you are gone from hockey.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Kevin Lowe is a brilliant man, with lots of well thought out, practical ideas. He has ensured the success of this team for years to come.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kevin Lowe might have been a horrible member of management, but he's still a human being. There are millions of people in the world that are worse than him. I hope he just retires and goes off into the night quietly.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It's hard to forgive him for holding the city hostage for nearly a decade with his management team.

Oh well. Eventually people will forgive him.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Like who?

Gretzky? Who would only coach for 6 million a year, and got involved with franchises down near where he lived?

Messier? Who saw himself as a NYR until his falling out?

Kurri/Anderson/Coffey? None of whom have showed any interest in being in management? Hell, Sather brought Anderson back during his final games as a player, and he was pissed as all hell about it.

I get the Lowe hate, I'm not saying it's undeserved, I'm just saying I hope time heals the wounds and people can remember him in a positive light someday.

I don't hate Lowe, infact I have heard many stories whether apocryphal not as Lowe in a positive light. Frankly I have mixed feelings on a lot of ex Oilers I think they just became to big for this city. I have thought many times of forgetting these guys all together. Gretzky, Messier, all of them i think are great ambassadors and in the same light a guy like Gretzky I don't have a very high opinion of the guy as a human being. Yea, he says the right things, but i think he's a A class phony.

Lowe on the other hand you can tell he is passionate, and was a great player, and i truly think he cared about the team, but he also has a ego and you could see early on with guys like Comrie, even a guy like Rich Winter will point to earlier when he had negotiations with Todd Marchant.

I'm not going to applaud anyone for taking a job that pays them very well to do what they love doing.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
It's hard to forgive him for holding the city hostage for nearly a decade with his management team.

Oh well. Eventually people will forgive him.

If the Oilers get a dynasty 2.0 will history write him as a strategist who picked the right years to lose? In this scenario do we see his movie role portrayed by a Colin Firth or a John C Reilly?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
You're seriously making these comparisons?

Gretzky shouldn't be judged on his coaching in Phoenix, his reputation should be judged on the fact he couldn't take a coaches salary (6 million), his wife and Tocchet, Rechi others caught in a gambling ring. I am old enough to remember the dynasty and at the same time can differentiate/separate what they are off the ice most of these guys are low life's.

I mean listen i was a season ticket holder, and i seen how these guys conducted themselves (Lowe, Mact) They get more of an excuse cause there celebrities which doesn't impress me. The old saying you can't by class. Calling fans in tiers, alot of that really did affect his legacy on the younger generation.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I have a certain disdain for him. His ego got in the way and drove this team into he ground. He couldn't admit that he was an awful executive and probably felt a victim of other factors. Screw Lowe, Oiler fans will not send him off with a friendly farewell.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Nope. I have no appreciation for this man whatsoever.

Buh-bye.

Kevin Lowe might have been a horrible member of management, but he's still a human being. There are millions of people in the world that are worse than him. I hope he just retires and goes off into the night quietly.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not going to lob insults or scream my hatred towards him. But I'm not going to give any kind words either. His departure from the team will be good enough for me.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
unicorn2-jpg.jpg

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't hate Lowe, infact I have heard many stories whether apocryphal not as Lowe in a positive light. Frankly I have mixed feelings on a lot of ex Oilers I think they just became to big for this city. I have thought many times of forgetting these guys all together. Gretzky, Messier, all of them i think are great ambassadors and in the same light a guy like Gretzky I don't have a very high opinion of the guy as a human being. Yea, he says the right things, but i think he's a A class phony.

Lowe on the other hand you can tell he is passionate, and was a great player, and i truly think he cared about the team, but he also has a ego and you could see early on with guys like Comrie, even a guy like Rich Winter will point to earlier when he had negotiations with Todd Marchant.

I'm not going to applaud anyone for taking a job that pays them very well to do what they love doing.

Have to agree a bit on the Gretzky thing, he's always seemed a bit too well coach and PC for me to ever think he's as entire wonderful as the media sometimes paints him :laugh:

I wasn't applauding Lowe though, I was just saying I appreciate the loyalty he has shown to the franchise. He's the only guy who began and finished his career in Edmonton, and actually chose to come back to finish out his final years here.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Have to agree a bit on the Gretzky thing, he's always seemed a bit too well coach and PC for me to ever think he's as entire wonderful as the media sometimes paints him :laugh:

I wasn't applauding Lowe though, I was just saying I appreciate the loyalty he has shown to the franchise. He's the only guy who began and finished his career in Edmonton, and actually chose to come back to finish out his final years here.

Yea, that's where I kind of feel he sort of stuck around to long. I know he didn't come from an era of huge salaries, but my motto in life has always been if i feel i am hurting a situation ask for help, and get out of the way. He made good money, and Whether its lack of introspection or reflection even with E.I.G. they gave the guy to much rope. I mean the P.R. after Pronger was atrocious, should have stepped down immediately. He also gave cushy jobs to friends.The only guy he ever hired (friend) that I ever felt was qualified was Charlie huddy (dallas, now winnipeg) Simpson to degree, most of these guys would never get a job with another team.

I just think its business, and he sort of set up the system we see today of nepotism.
If we don't get Mcdavid we probably see him still here a decade later in the same position. Its not just the fault on him all this lies on Katz, and E.I.G.. This has been a closed off organization in terms of new voices, and vision and hopefully we start seeing that change.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Thanks for 2006.
Please don't become head scout.
Please don't become Edmonton's head of anything.
Please go home and enjoy life with your family with the tons of money you've made off of this team.
Please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad