Kevin Lankinen Appreciation Thread (Calder Trophy Candidate)!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I read it twice and it was a illogical both times.

Seems pretty clear what OP is saying...Lank was way too far down on the depth chart and OP was curious why and if the Hawks were really that incompetent evaluating their internal options...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is just wrong...

They obviously had a clue into what KL would be. Are you actually claiming this?

So lets get this straight...the Hawks knew they had a #1 in Lankinen but had him 4th or 5th on the depth chart last year, were in the market for a goalie as recent as last winter (Sorokin) and again in October (Murray, Keumper, etc)...They clearly had an opinion on Lankinen but they clearly made a mistake evaluating him because if they knew he was a #1 they never try to trade Strome for Sorokin or consider moving assets plus paying cap dollars for Murray or Keumper...they also never start Subban to start the season or have him be backup in the bubble when he has put up garbage numbers for 3 seasons now...glad it worked out for the better, that's all that matters at this point

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Seems pretty clear what OP is saying...Lank was way too far down on the depth chart and OP was curious why and if the Hawks were really that incompetent evaluating their internal options...

Wooshhh

How can you call them incompetent when they were clearly smart enough to resign him for 2 more years... It is very clear they saw his potential if you actually look at shit.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wooshhh

How can you call them incompetent when they were clearly smart enough to resign him for 2 more years... It is very clear they saw his potential if you actually look at shit.

hawks were so smart they were in the market for a goalie for 6 months, drafted one in the 2nd round, but knew they had a 25 year old #1 in the org...sure thing...again my original comment was wrt stan being smug about anything...he's been a sub par gm for a few years, he shouldn't be smug about anything at this point

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So lets get this straight...the Hawks knew they had a #1 in Lankinen but had him 4th or 5th on the depth chart last year, were in the market for a goalie as recent as last winter (Sorokin) and again in October (Murray, Keumper, etc)...They clearly had an opinion on Lankinen but they clearly made a mistake evaluating him because if they knew he was a #1 they never try to trade Strome for Sorokin or consider moving assets plus paying cap dollars for Murray or Keumper...they also never start Subban to start the season or have him be backup in the bubble when he has put up garbage numbers for 3 seasons now...glad it worked out for the better, that's all that matters at this point

This post is just shows how hard you are reaching...

The FO should always be looking for potential what’s to improve this team and inquiring with other team, scouting other options, and drafting for the future. KL was coming off shoulder surgery so there was injury risk (but I am sure you will just ignore that fact too). They had the foresight to resign him as they clearly saw the potential.

Reactions: ClydeLee

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
hawks were so smart they were in the market for a goalie for 6 months, drafted one in the 2nd round, but knew they had a 25 year old #1 in the org...sure thing...again my original comment was wrt stan being smug about anything...he's been a sub par gm for a few years, he shouldn't be smug about anything at this point

Who give a f*** if he was smug or you perceive it as smug? You are literally trying to criticize a GM for inquiring about all options...do you realize how stupid that concept is? It is literally his job to consistently be looking to improve this team now and in the future.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They could of NOT signed Lankenin out of Finland too if they didn't see his potential. In fact doing so is what seems to have irked Nalimov who thought he was gonna get a clearer path to the NHL even though he kept changing his mind about what year he was or not coming over.

Reactions: BK

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This post is just shows how hard you are reaching...

The FO should always be looking for potential what’s to improve this team and inquiring with other team, scouting other options, and drafting for the future. KL was coming off shoulder surgery so there was injury risk (but I am sure you will just ignore that fact too). They had the foresight to resign him as they clearly saw the potential.

Please point out the reaching in that post...If you think the Hawks thought of Lankinen as a #1 but had him 3rd on the depth chart to start the season and tried to find a #1 the past 6+ months then maybe you're the one reaching here...

Reactions: Pertti

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Please point out the reaching in that post...If you think the Hawks thought of Lankinen as a #1 but had him 3rd on the depth chart to start the season and tried to find a #1 the past 6+ months then maybe you're the one reaching here...
So... wait, when did anyone say that? When did he say that? You are reaching because you're making up a opinion of others in your head.

Why do people desire to make up imaginary arguments and go on and on about them?

You seem to think it was dumb to not let a guy develop properly and get more N/A experience. What was the point of say rushing into pushing him into the NHL after 11 great games in a WC tourney? Was it a guarantee he was NHL ready? Does that mean he would play this way now if he was playing when 24 and less than a full year of AHL play? I do not get the view of your criticism other than dislike crediting Stan with anything about it. It's lacking an understanding of development or a care about the actual reality at hand.

And I'm someone all offseason who was saying this method of trusting these young prospects is far more likely to work out. I was maybe highest on Delia and thought Lankenin could of it cause I know others considered him the starter potential out of it with Delia backup potential, mostly because of style. But nobody proclaimed some guarantee of any. Part of the value of this season is you can get one to preform good, then great! you got your guy to keep in the expansion draft and go onward. Or you just help the tank if nobody can preform up to task.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

The whole goddamn post. You whole post is you complaining about them inquiring other places and claiming they had no clue what they had because he was 3rd on JC’s depth chard to start the season (spoiler: they don’t make the teams depth chart the HC does). They clearly had a clue when they resigned him for 2 years but they yes were also smart enough to keep looking as he was coming off shoulder surgery (which is risky for goalies, remember Dan Blackburn?). Sorry but the whole post is just you reaching for something to bitch about as you don’t like Bowman (which is 200% your right but expect to get called out for absurd posts like this).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hawks didn't see any potential in goalie, but signed said goalie to a two year deal in April?

He was where he was on the depth chart because other goalies were playing better at the time. Since getting his shot in the NHL, he's taken it and run. That's it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The whole goddamn post. You whole post is you complaining about them inquiring other places and claiming they had no clue what they had because he was 3rd on JC’s depth chard to start the season (spoiler: they don’t make the teams depth chart the HC does). They clearly had a clue when they resigned him for 2 years but they yes were also smart enough to keep looking as he was coming off shoulder surgery (which is risky for goalies, remember Dan Blackburn?). Sorry but the whole post is just you reaching for something to bitch about as you don’t like Bowman (which is 200% your right but expect to get called out for absurd posts like this).

not entirely true, like most of what he has done since they moved on from Q...the org is also in the situation that it's in because of some of the moves he made back in 2016 but it is what it is at this point...as I said in another thread, maybe there was a lot more at play with the trades and this is a clean slate for him with him having sole discretion over hockey ops decisions...obviously hope we get 2010-2015 Stan again because he was one of the best in the league at that point

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
It's possible to believe in a goalie and make sure he has every opportunity to be ready before throwing him into the fire of the NHL.

It's also fine to have backup plans in case it doesn't work out, and hope both do and you have a trade chip.

Most logical answers live in the grey areas.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It was obvious he has star quality since may 2019. Was wondering for long about the incompetence in talent evaluation among Chicago management group not to see this. Situation forced them to try him, they should not get credit for being smart when they notice this first when it is obvious.
Obviously, you've got a lot of earlier posts that prove you're something other than just a master of hindsight. Because not having those posts to back you up would make you look quite silly now, trying to say it was obvious to you that the Hawks slept on him.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Obviously, you've got a lot of earlier posts that prove you're something other than just a master of hindsight. Because not having those posts to back you up would make you look quite silly now, trying to say it was obvious to you that the Hawks slept on him.
Obviously nothing outside this internet site has any value.
I'm not a Blackhaws fan only a fan of team Finland. When i watched him in the WC i felt he really showed such a high level and that he gives of that elite vibe. What he did there against NHL players was amazing. How he handled that heat was superb. There i thought that since Blackhaws management must have seen that, they should have the ability to feel it too. Besides i'm not here to argue, happy he's doing great so i'll even bandwagon the whole team. (like with TT in the 2015 finals.) Why some people might get upset i'm calling it out this bluntly could be because they either actually work for the Blackhaws or maybe they just don't like the taste of crow.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Obviously nothing outside this internet site has any value.
I'm not a Blackhaws fan only a fan of team Finland. When i watched him in the WC i felt he really showed such a high level and that he gives of that elite vibe. What he did there against NHL players was amazing. How he handled that heat was superb. There i thought that since Blackhaws management must have seen that, they should have the ability to feel it too. Besides i'm not here to argue, happy he's doing great so i'll even bandwagon the whole team. (like with TT in the 2015 finals.) Why some people might get upset i'm calling it out this bluntly could be because they either actually work for the Blackhaws or maybe they just don't like the taste of crow.

How you are trying claim they didn’t see the talent is just wrong. They signed him from Europe, they developed him for 1.5 years in the AHL then he had surgery but they saw the talent and had already signed him to a 2 year NHL extension. Basically you have no idea what you are talking about in your claim. He was on the NHL roster to start this season and is now the starter.

Reactions: Crow

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
How you are trying claim they didn’t see the talent is just wrong. They signed him from Europe, they developed him for 1.5 years in the AHL then he had surgery but they saw the talent and had already signed him to a 2 year NHL extension. Basically you have no idea what you are talking about in your claim. He was on the NHL roster to start this season and is now the starter.
At the time of Jukka Jalonen selecting him for the Finnish roster i seem to recall he was even sent down from the AHL. Then he goes and beats teams he had no business beating to win gold. You seem to like saying "you have no idea" a lot, seems like your thing. However like i said, i did have a strong idea at that time already. Give it a rest and have another sip of crow milk shake.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
At the time of Jukka Jalonen selecting him for the Finnish roster i seem to recall he was even sent down from the AHL. Then he goes and beats teams he had no business beating to win gold. You seem to like saying "you have no idea" a lot, seems like your thing. However like i said, i did have a strong idea at that time already. Give it a rest and have another sip of crow milk shake.

I am saying “you have no idea” because it fits. KL was not better than Crow when we signed him and we had Crow and Lehrer last year. Anymore things you need help with before you leave?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He had not played in NA before that season. You don't think he needed experience to develop and work on his game? He would hardly agree with that himself.

Reactions: Pez68

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
As I said, it's strange that you say you knew he was starter material, yet failed to mention it, at any time, on the entire site. Given you've been a member at HF since 2018, one would think you'd say that you knew he was a starter, before he became one, not after.

You have an uncanny ability to predict the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad