Recalled/Assigned: Kevin Labanc called up 11/7

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The puck skills and hockey sense are clearly there but he's a really poor skater. Not just slow, but also falls down unprompted a lot. But that obviously hasn't stopped him from being extremely good at other levels so maybe he just needs some more time to adjust.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
The puck skills and hockey sense are clearly there but he's a really poor skater. Not just slow, but also falls down unprompted a lot. But that obviously hasn't stopped him from being extremely good at other levels so maybe he just needs some more time to adjust.

Yea that was super noticeable against the Panthers. There were multiple times where he just fell unabated in scrums and that resulted in a Panthers breakout. I was thinking overall he just needs to get stronger too, he was outmuscled with ease at multiple points by larger defenders. I don't expect him to be Pavelski on the boards but he needs some improvement. I would like him to get the full 9 though, just like Nikolay last year. Don't want to skewer the kid for one bad game, but maybe it would be best to send him down for a while then bring him back.

I do agree Goldobin should get a callup tho. He deserves it and clearly the team is better off with an additional top-6 player.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yea that was super noticeable against the Panthers. There were multiple times where he just fell unabated in scrums and that resulted in a Panthers breakout. I was thinking overall he just needs to get stronger too, he was outmuscled with ease at multiple points by larger defenders. I don't expect him to be Pavelski on the boards but he needs some improvement. I would like him to get the full 9 though, just like Nikolay last year. Don't want to skewer the kid for one bad game, but maybe it would be best to send him down for a while then bring him back.

I do agree Goldobin should get a callup tho. He deserves it and clearly the team is better off with an additional top-6 player.

Main problem with calling up Goldobin is still the cap thing. Labanc was like the only one they could call up without extra movement. Obviously, it'd be super easy to just send down Haley or something but I kinda doubt the front office would do that right now for who knows what old school reasons.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Main problem with calling up Goldobin is still the cap thing. Labanc was like the only one they could call up without extra movement. Obviously, it'd be super easy to just send down Haley or something but I kinda doubt the front office would do that right now for who knows what old school reasons.

True. Bets on whether Haley has nudes of DW?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Labanc's contract has kicked in this year no matter how many games he plays.

I would like to see a 15 game tryout. He adds a dynamic to this team's top9 that they don't have enough of. I think he has earned the opportunity to try and find his groove.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I would like to see a 15 game tryout. He adds a dynamic to this team's top9 that they don't have enough of. I think he has earned the opportunity to try and find his groove.

I hope it's some Demelo-esque improvement except instead going from oh-god-no-to-sold-bottom-pairing, he goes from alright-rookie-to-blue-chip-stud

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose

Oh? Why is that? But if that is the case then good, keep him for as long as he is playing regularly then. Or rotate him and Nikolay and Timo. I mean frankly he had a poor game, but I can't say for sure that he is a liability.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Oh? Why is that? But if that is the case then good, keep him for as long as he is playing regularly then. Or rotate him and Nikolay and Timo. I mean frankly he had a poor game, but I can't say for sure that he is a liability.

Goldobin last year, and Timo this year, are a year younger than Labanc is now (they each turned 20). So they were, or are in Meier's case, still slide risks. Labanc is turning 21 in December.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Since he was an "overager" last year (all 1995 born players can only play juniors until 2016, even though he was a late '95 (first eligible for the 2014 draft so he only gets two years after the draft of juniors)), he had no junior eligibility and therefore his contract kicks in no matter what.

Goldy falls in to the same boat.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Since he was an "overager" last year (all 1995 born players can only play juniors until 2016, even though he was a late '95 (first eligible for the 2014 draft so he only gets two years after the draft of juniors)), he had no junior eligibility and therefore his contract kicks in no matter what.

Goldy falls in to the same boat.

That's even better. Rotate them as much as possible and get Timo his 9 games unless he blows it out of the water. We could potentially have a really dangerous top-9. Let's hope DW and Pete give the young 'uns a chance to impress and contribute. If this is all contingent on sending Haley down it seems easy enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad