Recalled/Assigned: Kevin Labanc called up 11/7

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
For all that I care, send Tierney down before he needs waivers. He has only 2 points in 12 games and needs a kick in his ass. Last time he got sent down he responded well. Maybe time to do that again.

Trade Wingels for some of that sweet sweet cap space. Then we can call up more rookies woo.

I think we are getting closer and closer to time for both of these moves to take place, the Tierney situation seems even more imminent when his waiver status is taken into account

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For all that I care, send Tierney down before he needs waivers. He has only 2 points in 12 games and needs a kick in his ass. Last time he got sent down he responded well. Maybe time to do that again.

In general, I think that as the top players perform, the bottom players will follow.

But, if this is the second time Tierney has needed a kick in the pants to get going, maybe it is time to move on. I'm all for a player needing a demotion or two to get going (Setoguchi, Carle, Michalek, Vlasic, all got one, to name a few), but it really shouldn't happen more than once.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
In general, I think that as the top players perform, the bottom players will follow.

But, if this is the second time Tierney has needed a kick in the pants to get going, maybe it is time to move on. I'm all for a player needing a demotion or two to get going (Setoguchi, Carle, Michalek, Vlasic, all got one, to name a few), but it really shouldn't happen more than once.

Vlasic didn't get a demotion. He got a the big club didn't play for a long period and they sent him down to play instead of doing nothing.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Tierney's sticking around as the 4C since we don't really have a 4th line caliber center unless they decide to call up Carpenter and that seems unlikely.

I mean, they aren't gonna make Marleau the 4C.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Vlasic didn't get a demotion. He got a the big club didn't play for a long period and they sent him down to play instead of doing nothing.

Vlasic played one AHL game in 2007 - 2008 and played in 82 NHL games that year. Was that the year they send a bunch of players down during the All Star break?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Vlasic played one AHL game in 2007 - 2008 and played in 82 NHL games that year. Was that the year they send a bunch of players down during the All Star break?

Think so. Didn't he also get sent down during the olympic break in 2006-7?

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Haley Tierney LaBanc

Sounds good.
9T1kgIr.gif

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Haley Tierney LaBanc

Sounds good.

I was gonna post this earlier - all ya'll getting hyped to see him debut on the left wing of the Joe's are crazy. You gotta walk before you run. If he plays, it will be next to Tierney in sheltered minutes on the 4th. He isn't (yet) our Savior of the season. That 4th line is just there to eat minutes and not get scored on. I don't know why so much discussion is directed there.

Our focus should be on building out a viable 3rd - by trade or internal development. If Labanc shows success, he may be part of that solution. But he is still a bun in the oven. Give the org time.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The book on Labanc has been that his hockey sense and instincts enhance his overall game to the effect that his clear flaws (skating, though it has improved, and size) don't hold him back. The moment his strengths can't hide his flaws, his utility would presumably drop significantly.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The book on Labanc has been that his hockey sense and instincts enhance his overall game to the effect that his clear flaws (skating, though it has improved, and size) don't hold him back. The moment his strengths can't hide his flaws, his utility would presumably drop significantly.

Skating issues seem overstated. So to me his size may become an issue but we will see.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
great, the youth movement has begun!

I don't expect him to play with the Joes, but he can hook up quite nicely at the third line and we can shelter him there.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
great, the youth movement has begun!

I don't expect him to play with the Joes, but he can hook up quite nicely at the third line and we can shelter him there.

Karlsson or Ward move down if Labanc plays in the top 9. Probably Karlsson so I'm guessing he lines up with either Couture or Hertl. Or he plays 4th line then they scratch Haley and Nieto. Or he doesn't play then he chills in the pressbox and makes some free money.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Karlsson or Ward move down if Labanc plays in the top 9. Probably Karlsson so I'm guessing he lines up with either Couture or Hertl. Or he plays 4th line then they scratch Haley and Nieto. Or he doesn't play then he chills in the pressbox and makes some free money.

Tierney and Karlsson work amazingly well together for some reason. They just seem to click. Would hope it's Karlsson if they move Labanc to the third. That could be the spark Tierney needs this season.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Finally a call up! I think Labanc should start with Hertl and Marleau and see if he could play on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad