Value of: Kevin Hayes

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
With Bergeron going down, I could see Hayes as an option in Boston. While he's no Bergy, he is a defensively sound C that could help BOS tread water for a bit and they move to a complimentary role for the back stretch when Bergeron returns. Maybe package McQuaid back with a little retained to help the depleted back end as well.

Any new interest from Boston here?

Have to wonder if the Jimmy Hayes disaster would scare Boston off Kevin...not the same level of commitment I know, but still worth thinking if that would impact their interest.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Have to wonder if the Jimmy Hayes disaster would scare Boston off Kevin...not the same level of commitment I know, but still worth thinking if that would impact their interest.

I don't think that would. Jimmy was a slow player who did nothing to elevate his game at the next level. He didn't work hard in the offseasons like Kevin did. Kevin has busted his ass these last 2 years to become the player he has become when people thought he had peaked.

I don't think there would be any fear.

barr7622

Nov 20, 2018
To the Boston Bruins: Kevin Hayes

To The New York Rangers: 2019 1st round pick + Jakub Lauko/Zach Senyshyn

Last edited:
Reactions: slg1963

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hayes would be a good option for Anaheim if kesler isn't coming back this year but idk rangers needs... I guess they are in rebuild so they prob want 1st + prospects but what are they weak at.
There's nowhere in our prospect pool where we're particularly starved, but we could use another of anything but RD.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With Bergeron going down, I could see Hayes as an option in Boston. While he's no Bergy, he is a defensively sound C that could help BOS tread water for a bit and they move to a complimentary role for the back stretch when Bergeron returns. Maybe package McQuaid back with a little retained to help the depleted back end as well.

Any new interest from Boston here?

Hayes has no interest in Boston.

Hes perfectly happy playing close enough to be far enough away from family and friends for them to be pains in the rear end.

He had no interest in signing there as a free agent, and he'd be on the first train out once the season concluded.

The Bruins know this, they will not trade much for him knowing hes gonna bolt first chance

Reactions: bernmeister

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
As a Rangers fan, I personally love the Hayes + 2nd for Fox + 1st swap idea with Carolina. I love Brett Pesce too (I mean, who doesn't?), but I think the Rangers would need to add (not terribly much, maybe conditional 3rd/ or 2nd straight up) to make up the difference.

Reactions: slg1963

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
These Carolina proposals are brutal. Pesce, with 5 years of term after this season, is only worth a conditional 2nd or 3rd above a rental Hayes?

Carolina is on the fringe of the bubble. Giving up a 1st for a rental, particularly for one only of the caliber of Hayes, would be ridiculous.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
These Carolina proposals are brutal. Pesce, with 5 years of term after this season, is only worth a conditional 2nd or 3rd above a rental Hayes?

Carolina is on the fringe of the bubble. Giving up a 1st for a rental, particularly for one only of the caliber of Hayes, would be ridiculous.

Trade would be made under the assumption Hayes signs a 5/6 year extension. Obv wouldn't be rental Hayes, Pesce is way too valuable. The premise of Hayes for one of Carolina's RHD makes sense though.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Keep in mind that if the trade is made now, there is time for the acquiring team to do two things, negotiate an extension, and trade him at the deadline if they fall out of playoff contention or think they want more than a rental.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As a Rangers fan, I personally love the Hayes + 2nd for Fox + 1st swap idea with Carolina. I love Brett Pesce too (I mean, who doesn't?), but I think the Rangers would need to add (not terribly much, maybe conditional 3rd/ or 2nd straight up) to make up the difference.

I didn't say anything about Pesce, who with term would be worth more.

My prop was as you noted, but with 2 additional 2nds to CAR which are conditional on Fox signing, which we all expect. My deal is Hayes pays for the dif on the mid or later Canes 1st and the Rangers early 2nd [both projected] AND is the downpayment on Fox, only for his rights. NY coughs up if he inks.

Hayes is worth a 1st +
Fox for a 2nd and 2 more conditional seconds? wth???? Feels like Tim Erixon all over again.

What do you mean wth?
Pls reread my earlier posts as to detail on value.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

I gave a like to this post about the Pesce part... agree brutal.

But giving up a 1st for a rental (one that is still young and going prime years rather than 30+ and ripe for a long term extension) would not be ridiculous. It may have been a while since Carolina was a legit buyer, but Hayes for a 1st would be no where near ridiculous for a team looking to compete that has a need for a 2 way C with skill. Maybe Carolina's needs aren't there, so it wouldn't make sense... I can understand that. But you have to look at comparables over the years and a 1st would be right in line. The "plus" part is where it gets iffy for me.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I gave a like to this post about the Pesce part... agree brutal.

But giving up a 1st for a rental (one that is still young and going prime years rather than 30+ and ripe for a long term extension) would not be ridiculous. It may have been a while since Carolina was a legit buyer, but Hayes for a 1st would be no where near ridiculous for a team looking to compete that has a need for a 2 way C with skill. Maybe Carolina's needs aren't there, so it wouldn't make sense... I can understand that. But you have to look at comparables over the years and a 1st would be right in line. The "plus" part is where it gets iffy for me.

A 1st from a team with a legit shot at going deep in the playoffs is reasonable.

A team on the fringes like Carolina giving up a 1st for a rental of that caliber would be a flat out bad trade. The highest 1st moved for a rental in-season this decade is 21st (Gaustad/Sekera.) If the season ended today, Carolina would sit 14OA pre-lottery and is within 2 points of 5OA. Imagine giving up a potential Top 10 pick for a rental Kevin Hayes.

That's where I'm coming from. Here's the brutally honest truth: Carolina isn't good enough to trade for him.

Reactions: DaveG

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Jets can’t afford the asking price to acquire Hayes or Duchene.

What are you talking about? You guys are loaded with prospects and you have your first rounder and all picks except your 3rd rounder this year. There's a difference between "can't afford" and "don't wanna pay up".

Reactions: Calad

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What are you talking about? You guys are loaded with prospects and you have your first rounder and all picks except your 3rd rounder this year. There's a difference between "can't afford" and "don't wanna pay up".

The fans asking prices are unrealisticly high for rentals.....can’t afford HFB prices. Gladly trust real GM’s to figure it out. There’s a difference between realistic prices & HFB prices. Can’t afford these HFB prices

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
not 100% sure why the Blue Shirts would want to trade this guy. Still fairly young and a solid NHL pivot
Basically comes down to them having younger centers in the pipeline and being in early stages of a rebuild. Zibanejad is a bit better than Hayes and on a good contract, Howden is emerging and they have Andersson and Chytil in the system. Also Kravstov can play C. Plus if they dont pay Hayes they can court Panarin this summer.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
A 1st from a team with a legit shot at going deep in the playoffs is reasonable.

A team on the fringes like Carolina giving up a 1st for a rental of that caliber would be a flat out bad trade. The highest 1st moved for a rental in-season this decade is 21st (Gaustad/Sekera.) If the season ended today, Carolina would sit 14OA pre-lottery and is within 2 points of 5OA. Imagine giving up a potential Top 10 pick for a rental Kevin Hayes.

That's where I'm coming from. Here's the brutally honest truth: Carolina isn't good enough to trade for him.

Definitely understandable. That makes sense to me, as explained.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The fans asking prices are unrealisticly high for rentals.....can’t afford HFB prices. Gladly trust real GM’s to figure it out. There’s a difference between realistic prices & HFB prices. Can’t afford these HFB prices
1st rounders are not unrealistically high for Premier rentals. Neither on HF nor in real life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad