Value of: Kevin Hayes

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017
If he has 20+ goals by the deadline he will fetch a 1st and a prospect or two.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I too am guessing it's a deadline sell, or maybe they extend him instead of trading, but I'm not sure the contract he will want fits into what the Rangers will be offering. Then again I'm not so sure the seller market if going to be so great this deadline as there appears to be several good, more than last year, pending rentals who may be on the market.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hayes would be a good option for Anaheim if kesler isn't coming back this year but idk rangers needs... I guess they are in rebuild so they prob want 1st + prospects but what are they weak at.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
either a middle 1st rounder + 2nd rounder or late 1st rounder+ 2nd rounder + a good young prospect.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think Jenner + 1st rounder + 3rd for Hayes, Vesey, and Kampfer/O'Gara would make sense for both teams

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he has 20+ goals by the deadline, he's likely won't be traded.
If he's not coming back, he's not coming back. Rangers, unless the wind shifts in the right direction, won't be making playoffs. So regardless of Hayes performing well, if the money, long term is not within reach of what we're looking to do, trading him is the most likely scenario.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If he's not coming back, he's not coming back. Rangers, unless the wind shifts in the right direction, won't be making playoffs. So regardless of Hayes performing well, if the money, long term is not within reach of what we're looking to do, trading him is the most likely scenario.

Not sure why you're assuming he's not coming back. If the one-year deal is a "show me" contract, then having 20+ goals by the deadline would certainly be showing......

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure why you're assuming he's not coming back. If the one-year deal is a "show me" contract, then having 20+ goals by the deadline would certainly be showing......
Because if he does as well as last season, or slightly better, the number he'll be seeking, long term, just shot up pretty big. It's still possible, but it really depends on what he's looking for. Rangers aren't signing him to 6.5/6 or 7,

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hayes would be a good option for Anaheim if kesler isn't coming back this year but idk rangers needs... I guess they are in rebuild so they prob want 1st + prospects but what are they weak at.
1st+Mahura? Probably too much from the Ducks though. maybe swap Mahura with Welinski or something. Or-1st+Jones. I’m not really a fan of Jones but we need physicality

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
1st+Mahura? Probably too much from the Ducks though. maybe swap Mahura with Welinski or something. Or-1st+Jones. I’m not really a fan of Jones but we need physicality
1st + welinski id do np, as I don't think hell really get a chance in Anaheim.
1st + jones would be doable for me pretty easily

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Also depends on his faceoff %. He was over 50% last year. He's getting better every season. If he's clicking in at 55% this season and is one pace for 25 goals, 50 points, his value is going to be quite good. I still think they should try to sign him to a 4 year deal. Chytil was a young 18. When Chytil is 22, Hayes will be 30. I would prefer they keep Hayes, move Andersson to the wing. I don't see Kravtsov as a center down the line. I'm interested to see what Hayes and Vesey do with a new coach who values size and just doesn't want fast, waterbugs out there.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Because if he does as well as last season, or slightly better, the number he'll be seeking, long term, just shot up pretty big. It's still possible, but it really depends on what he's looking for. Rangers aren't signing him to 6.5/6 or 7,

I kind of see both sides,

If the selling market is overflowing with other options and driving the return for Hayes down, at some point it would become either trade him for not so good return, or extend him to a contract they probably do not like very much.

Depending on how his season to that date goes, what the return would be, what he is asking for, if he even is willing to re-sign, I think it could kind of go either way but would lean that he is traded rather than extended.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It’d have to be more than the Nash trade to start off (1st, Lindgren, Spooner, 7th, Beleskey) and then a bit more (quality not quantity)
I’ve said this a lot but if Hayes gets a chance playing with a decent sniper, he puts up 60 points. Add in the fact that he’s 6’5 which teams love and he has very good 2 way play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If he has 20+ goals by the deadline, he's likely won't be traded.

If Hayes legit prefers to be here, which I think conditionally is the case, and he gets not top dollar, but enough, which I think also happens, then, since he can sense how good the rebuild is, and he can be a hero by accelerating it, I still say he does like Chapman back to the Yankees.

Any taker can try and change his mind, but they have to expect he is a push for this season rental, although if we move him now, such a suitor could could have the option to flip Hayes at the deadline if they are too far behind in a Cup push, recovering a chunk of what they paid for a mini rental.

So my vote is Carolina,
Carolina 2019 1st unprotected and the rights to Adam Fox
for
Hayes, NYR 2019 2nd, + 2 more 2nds [2020 + 2021] which are conditional with Fox actually signing with us by __________ (fill in the blank).

Explain:
Hayes could be a difference maker for Carolina to go deep IF they also resolve net issues, which is another story. Perhaps a separate deal, Georgiev for McKeown straight up, helps there.

Canes are giving up what is likely to be mid to late 1st value falling back but getting an early 2nd, possibly a very early 2nd to offset. That covers the pick differential and a downpayment on Fox. It also alleviates risk that unexpectedly Fox does not sign; were the case, Rangers would be picking up the same boat as Canes, esp since it is more likely he would be more reluctant to sign in Carolina given the substantial D, especially RD, strength there.

I expect Fox to sign w/NY, who obviously need RD asap. He might drop everything and get here first chance, or he might want to finish educational commitments and insist NY works with him on that. But I think that happens.

So it is the right to use/parlay Hayes [introducing him to Carolina as a fallback if things do not work out w/NYR] + three 2nds for a 1st and Fox rights.

If no fault of Hayes they are not a good bet to go deep, Canes can then flip to someone who is or is close enough and wants to be a Cup finalist, but has last minute injury or other issues. Should that be the case, he will get back at least that 1st this year and more.

We had too many people not listening to RB and others who were adamantly win now, and took desperate lunges [EStaal, et al]. If Hayes will take one for the team, relocate for balance of this season.

Five years at 6.2 m is a nice reward, doesn't go to far into age with term, minimizing bust risk. My new proposal would apply, no automatic NMC to anyone for any reason ever. However, generous NTC is available proportionate to term.

By that I mean, there are 30-ish teams, he gets to limit himself to 6 teams he may be traded to the first year, 12 the second year, and so on, without his approval being necessary. Lots of player control early, club has full control by end of term.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
If Hayes legit prefers to be here, which I think conditionally is the case, and he gets not top dollar, but enough, which I think also happens, then, since he can sense how good the rebuild is, and he can be a hero by accelerating it, I still say he does like Chapman back to the Yankees.

Any taker can try and change his mind, but they have to expect he is a push for this season rental, although if we move him now, such a suitor could could have the option to flip Hayes at the deadline if they are too far behind in a Cup push, recovering a chunk of what they paid for a mini rental.

So my vote is Carolina,
Carolina 2019 1st unprotected and the rights to Adam Fox
for
Hayes, NYR 2019 2nd, + 2 more 2nds [2020 + 2021] which are conditional with Fox actually signing with us by __________ (fill in the blank).

Explain:
Hayes could be a difference maker for Carolina to go deep IF they also resolve net issues, which is another story. Perhaps a separate deal, Georgiev for McKeown straight up, helps there.

Canes are giving up what is likely to be mid to late 1st value falling back but getting an early 2nd, possibly a very early 2nd to offset. That covers the pick differential and a downpayment on Fox. It also alleviates risk that unexpectedly Fox does not sign; were the case, Rangers would be picking up the same boat as Canes, esp since it is more likely he would be more reluctant to sign in Carolina given the substantial D, especially RD, strength there.

I expect Fox to sign w/NY, who obviously need RD asap. He might drop everything and get here first chance, or he might want to finish educational commitments and insist NY works with him on that. But I think that happens.

So it is the right to use/parlay Hayes [introducing him to Carolina as a fallback if things do not work out w/NYR] + three 2nds for a 1st and Fox rights.

If no fault of Hayes they are not a good bet to go deep, Canes can then flip to someone who is or is close enough and wants to be a Cup finalist, but has last minute injury or other issues. Should that be the case, he will get back at least that 1st this year and more.

We had too many people not listening to RB and others who were adamantly win now, and took desperate lunges [EStaal, et al]. If Hayes will take one for the team, relocate for balance of this season.

Five years at 6.2 m is a nice reward, doesn't go to far into age with term, minimizing bust risk. My new proposal would apply, no automatic NMC to anyone for any reason ever. However, generous NTC is available proportionate to term.

By that I mean, there are 30-ish teams, he gets to limit himself to 6 teams he may be traded to the first year, 12 the second year, and so on, without his approval being necessary. Lots of player control early, club has full control by end of term.
came to post the exact same thing

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
With Bergeron going down, I could see Hayes as an option in Boston. While he's no Bergy, he is a defensively sound C that could help BOS tread water for a bit and they move to a complimentary role for the back stretch when Bergeron returns. Maybe package McQuaid back with a little retained to help the depleted back end as well.

Any new interest from Boston here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad