Player Discussion Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This summer continues to be a massive disappointment. Just horrible player management. Horrible execution. We’ll get a b prospect who will prob a lefty D and the 29th overall pick for him as a rental.

How do you blow this summer this badly.

Reactions: NCRanger and NYR

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
This will be the third top 6 C we've purged from the team in the last three years.

This FO obviously thinks we have a center group that's the envy of the NHL.
I feel bad for forgetting- but who is the third? Stepan, Hayes, and who?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Been watching this regime since 2000. This isn't the first time they know better than everyone else and it won't be the last.
GAuCxPf.gif

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe anyone here really has the evidence to say that confidently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Meh I wasn’t sold on him either but now he’s a rental so hopefully a 1st plus prospect

A signed Hayes would return that, not a rental Hayes.

You can always trade him later if you don't think he's part of plans and get a lot more for a signed player.

We're so god damn sure Chytil and Andersson are the future of the franchise that we're desperate to get Hayes off the team.

Horrible asset management and Rangers arrogance as usual.

Reactions: NCRanger

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This will be the third top 6 C we've purged from the team in the last three years.

This FO obviously thinks we have a center group that's the envy of the NHL.
They Traded Brassard for a better version of Brassard. In terms of the Stepan deal we shall see how it turns out

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They Traded Brassard for a better version of Brassard. In terms of the Stepan deal we shall see how it turns out

Doesn't matter how the trade turns out. Throwing around top 6 centers like candy on Halloween is bad management.

Cup-winning teams are generally overloaded at that position.

Reactions: NCRanger

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That "emerging" rental market worries me. Right now some of the guys who stand one year to UFA include Pacioretty, Seguin, Skinner, Duchesne, MZA and Hayes. Depending on how many of those guys make it to February, that market could be glutted. I expect Seguin will be resolved before then but I have no idea about the other guys. I wouldn't go counting on those low firsts just yet.

If I'm GMJG, I'm looking to move my assets sooner rather than later.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's surprising to me that in a league where it's extremely hard to find serviceable centers the Rangers decided they were going to play hardball with Kevin Hayes. He has been an exceptionally efficient producer his entire career. He took on a more defensive oriented role last season despite being a strong offensive producer his entire career and did well in that role and even continued to produce well offensively, all with almost no PP time. A lot of players would not have handled that assignment as well as Hayes did, especially since there's a valid argument that he shouldn't have been forced into that role in the first place given how the team performed and his own skillset and history.

I'd rather have signed Hayes to a decent long term deal. If Chytil and Andersson force him out then that just becomes one of those "good problems." Hayes would still be an asset and you would likely still be able to garner just as much in a trade with him signed to term then we will on this one year deal. That's assuming absolutely none of these players can succeed on the wing which is itself a pretty big assumption. What happens if Zibanejad gets injured? Why are so many willing to pencil Chytil and Andersson into major NHL minutes right off the bat? I would have rather watched them steal minutes from a legitimate, established NHL center then get forced in.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
It's likely that Hayes will be moved sometime before the deadline, which I am not a fan of. When are the Rangers allowed to talk to Hayes about a possible contract extension? January 1st? I know Hayes desperately wants to remain a Ranger. Him, Vesey, and Sjkei are very close friends. Although unlikely, maybe Gorton is signing this 1 year contract to see how Howden, Chytil, and Andersson work out. And see if any can excel on the wing, and then reevaluate later?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Doesn't matter how the trade turns out. Throwing around top 6 centers like candy on Halloween is bad management.

Cup-winning teams are generally overloaded at that position.

They tend to be overloaded with 1st line quality centers rather than 2nd line quality.

The Pens dealt Jordan Staal, The hawks traded Bolland, the Caps traded Johansson. Middle 6 centers sometimes get traded, even away from competing teams.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I know its not news that rosters don't stick because of the cap but goddamn @ how much turnover we'eve seen since the President's Trophy.

RIP Hayes. I will also think fondly of our time whenever I catch a smell of that loud.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Way I see it, Hayes probably wanted more for 5/6 years. By year 2 he could very well have been our 3C. Is a 3C worth near 5.5m+? Even if they are, with our organizational depth at the position, does it makes sense to have Hayes at that high a number? I don't think so.

Reactions: kovazub94

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's surprising to me that in a league where it's extremely hard to find serviceable centers the Rangers decided they were going to play hardball with Kevin Hayes. He has been an exceptionally efficient producer his entire career. He took on a more defensive oriented role last season despite being a strong offensive producer his entire career and did well in that role and even continued to produce well offensively, all with almost no PP time. A lot of players would not have handled that assignment as well as Hayes did, especially since there's a valid argument that he shouldn't have been forced into that role in the first place given how the team performed and his own skillset and history.

I'd rather have signed Hayes to a decent long term deal. If Chytil and Andersson force him out then that just becomes one of those "good problems." Hayes would still be an asset and you would likely still be able to garner just as much in a trade with him signed to term then we will on this one year deal. That's assuming absolutely none of these players can succeed on the wing which is itself a pretty big assumption. What happens if Zibanejad gets injured? Why are so many willing to pencil Chytil and Andersson into major NHL minutes right off the bat? I would have rather watched them steal minutes from a legitimate, established NHL center then get forced in.

This. All of this.

For a franchise that particularly has trouble finding centers, they treat good centers like a disease.

If other players force Hayes out, play that card when you draw it. Right now, we're nowhere even close to that. But the Rangers just assume their plans will go exactly as they predicted because this FO is arrogant.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

He certainly looked better last year, but i cant count the number of times where i thought the kid has rocks between his ears

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's likely that Hayes will be moved sometime before the deadline, which I am not a fan of. When are the Rangers allowed to talk to Hayes about a possible contract extension? January 1st?
Correct. Because it's a one year deal, they can't negotiate an extension until January 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad