Player Discussion Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers brass is really hesitant on giving him a long term deal. I've always thought since they announced this rebuild that he'd probably be an in house stop gap for the younger players coming up.

Either he shows he's worth the term and they resign him before next summer, or they have a really valuable piece at the deadline. Either way, I'll allow it.

Reactions: TheTakedown

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Such a dumb move I still don’t understand why we cant just move a few of our centers to the wing

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers are betting on their young centers prospects. Ballsy.

This deal speaks more about their plan in the long term than it does about their general player evaluation of Hayes.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
What you shouldn't do is lock in long term with the guy because you're afraid to lose him. Having him on an expiring deal that you can eat half of at this price makes him a target for virtually every team in the league at the deadline. IMO, that's a better scenario than having none of the contenders be able to afford him and none of the ones who can be in a position where adding him helps. Hopefully, this creates a bidding war for his services and the end result is a greater return overall.
Hayes at this point was undoubtedly just a stop gap until the younger players are ready, but that could be 2-3-4 years away. He would've been worth significantly more locked into a 4-5 year deal rather than being a UFA. We have no idea if Chytil, Andersson or Howden can handle the minutes yet, with Hayes now likely on the move we're rushing 2 of these guys. Spooner and Nemestikov are wingers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
They chose Zibanejad over him. With Chytil, Andersson, and Howden, you're not keeping Hayes long term. Depending on the outcome, they might not even be keeping Mika (that would be worse than Hayes IMO).

This is the right move to make. Hayes becomes one of the biggest name on the rental market come Febraury. Hayes and Zucc should return quite a bit. We're rebuilding. This is not a drill. It's been this way since Febraury, and you could point to June 2017 when they traded Stepan, if you want to, as the tipping point to this change.

As for rental centers, Matt Duchene is the only other top 6 center that could be moved. It's a smart decision. You can get a ton for him. He'll be on a western conference contender in 6 months.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers are betting on their young centers prospects. Ballsy.

This deal speaks more about their plan in the long term than it does about their general player evaluation of Hayes.

The Rangers think the guys they drafted are shoo-ins because they drafted them and we're amazing at drafting.

It's the hubris that gets me with this FO.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Big mistake not giving him the long term. Perhaps he was asking for the moon and more, in that case ok. I just don't think this kid has even peaked yet. Even if you don't see a long term future for him here it's still 2 years away from Chyter and Ders being able to handle big responsibility minutes wise. If that's the case having him around and then still with term on his deal when they are ready, that's a valuable asset.

Don't like this at all personally.

Reactions: NCRanger

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Priming ourselves to lose him at the deadline for a late first rounder. Maybe they come back to his apartment with the money truck if the kids have bad years. I don't think he's a premiere rental, I think he gets what Stastny got or less, especially if it's a wink-wink nudge nudge thing that he's going to Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad