Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We need everything except LD and Goalies

Ha...I was thinking of the SJ 1st (it becomes a 2020 1st if SJ misses the playoffs, but that's doubtful) and LHD Brendan Guhle, but maybe AHL prospects CJ Smith (LW) or Justin Bailey (RW) instead.

So the SJ 1st and a B prospect, but I know Botterill wouldn't even consider the trade unless Hayes wants to extend long-term in Buffalo. If that were the case then the prospect probably bumps up a notch (RHD Borgen, L/RW Olofsson). Actually, Botterill seems to look SO FAR down the re-build road that he likely plans on doing nothing but drafting. I would pull the trigger though since Hayes could take on both an offensive and defensive role, as needed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ha...I was thinking of the SJ 1st (it becomes a 2020 1st if SJ misses the playoffs, but that's doubtful) and LHD Brendan Guhle, but maybe AHL prospects CJ Smith (LW) or Justin Bailey (RW) instead.

So the SJ 1st and a B prospect, but I know Botterill wouldn't even consider the trade unless Hayes wants to extend long-term in Buffalo. If that were the case then the prospect probably bumps up a notch (RHD Borgen, L/RW Olofsson). Actually, Botterill seems to look SO FAR down the re-build road that he likely plans on doing nothing but drafting. I would pull the trigger though since Hayes could take on both an offensive and defensive role, as needed.
Would you have accepted that for like...r.o.r.?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Would you have accepted that for like...r.o.r.?

No, but ignoring all the underlying issues behind that trade, O'Reilly was a 60 pt player and elite defensively, while Hayes is a 45-50 pt player and decent defensively. O'Reilly is also a great PP player while Hayes average there. NYR (necessarily) benefits from the cap space gained as well. Seems fair to me...:dunno:.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
No, but ignoring all the underlying issues behind that trade, O'Reilly was a 60 pt player and elite defensively, while Hayes is a 45-50 pt player and decent defensively. O'Reilly is also a great PP player while Hayes average there. NYR (necessarily) benefits from the cap space gained as well. Seems fair to me...:dunno:.
R.o.r. was yr 2nd line center.

Hayes is our 2nd line center and having a career year and not talking about being depressed from all the losing in buffalo...definitely not a great comparison.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Hayes is that stock you bought a few years ago at $100 and now trades at $200. You wonder whether to sell and take the winnings (as its value could fall any second — markets are cyclical) or see whether it can continue to outperform or even play a bigger role in your portfolio (hold on during rebuild).

My point? Just as with investing, the answer only becomes clear after the fact, and any “what if” discussion is fruitless.

... but it is entertaining. :nod:

Reactions: NY Lito

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Hayes is that stock you bought a few years ago at $100 and now trades at $200. You wonder whether to sell and take the winnings (as its value could fall any second — markets are cyclical) or see whether it can continue to outperform or even play a bigger role in your portfolio (hold on during rebuild).

My point? Just as with investing, the answer only becomes clear after the fact, and any “what if” discussion is fruitless.

Cash out...buy an index fund...sleep soundly

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Okay, lets pkay the "what if" game.

What if Gorton stands pat until tdl.
What if......team X offers a great package for Hayes and then
What if.......team Y offers a better package for Zbad than what we offered in a Hayes trade.......does he pull the trigger?
On which one? Assuming the unthinkable of completing both.
What does Gorton do at that point?

What if......Hayes says he would not sign an extension with new club and want to return.....would that push Gorton to trade Zbad? And get the best of both worlds?

Surely there have been solid offers for Kevin already. I would think trading Kevin sooner than later would be better come the tdl, as it frees Gorton to explore other things.
But, have a feeling that not only he is "waiting" for more desperation on the behalf of other teams (bidding war for Hayes) but ALSO allowing him to comparison sell for Zbad as well. I am NOT totally sold on its definitely Kevin over Zbad that will be gone. We won't KNOW until the time comes. But, what do you guys think about what i said. Makes sense? Or, am I out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad