Player Discussion Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He's going to be happy he only got the one year deal. Unfortunately, his excellent play means he's probably already priced himself right off the team. Hayes is going to be a huge trade target at the deadline. The Rangers should really be able to net some great assets here. Between trading Hayes and Zuccarello the Rangers may bring in more assets at this deadline than they did last season.

Kind of a shame though because he's really looking excellent with Chytil but the money he's going to command is just going to be too high.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
He's going to be happy he only got the one year deal. Unfortunately, his excellent play means he's probably already priced himself right off the team. Hayes is going to be a huge trade target at the deadline. The Rangers should really be able to net some great assets here. Between trading Hayes and Zuccarello the Rangers may bring in more assets at this deadline than they did last season.

Kind of a shame though because he's really looking excellent with Chytil but the money he's going to command is just going to be too high.

Will see. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Hayes is gone

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Me either, I’m half hoping they gave him the one year deal with a backdoor handshake agreement to get dealt at the deadline to a contender for more assets and sign right back with us as a UFA

That'd be a coup. But that's of course if Hayes does really want to come back here after being traded (or if somehow, the Rangers don't want to sign him)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He’s played well. All of this hyperbole of Hayes pricing himself out of NY is horse****.

The Rangers obviously weren't willing to give him enough money or enough term before the season. Has he gotten any cheaper? What kind of contract do you think he's going to sign now? He's going to be one of the top free agents available.

People were talking about a Turris deal for him. He's better than Kyle Turris in every way. Best player on the team other than Lundqvist.

Learn to have a civilized conversation. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Similar situation to Stepan and McDonagh.

The Rangers seem unwilling to commit big dollars and big term to pseudo-elite players.

You're either a franchise player, or you're a compliment. We don't seem to be bothering with the in between anymore.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Kreider who is very much in between.

They kept Zibanejad but Zibanejad needs to fire his agent.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

The Rangers seem unwilling to commit big dollars and big term to pseudo-elite players.

You're either a franchise player, or you're a compliment. We don't seem to be bothering with the in between anymore.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Kreider who is very much in between.

I don't even think Hayes is a pseudo-elite player. He's to be the best looking 3rd line center when you see him on ice, he is basically the opposite of Stepan, who was the worst 1b center by far when you watched him play.
Hayes is all flair no substance.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't even think Hayes is a pseudo-elite player. He's to be the best looking 3rd line center when you see him on ice, he is basically the opposite of Stepan, who was the worst 1b center by far when you watched him play.
Hayes is all flair no substance.

I think Hayes has advanced his game past where you're giving him credit for, but I do agree that Stepan has been a better NHL player to date.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Is it me or do I see Blake Wheeler lite in Hayes? Even the same circumstances. Didn’t sign with the team that drafted him then signed as a free agent. Both huge bodies who don’t play overly physical but can puck handle and make plays.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I think Hayes has advanced his game past where you're giving him credit for, but I do agree that Stepan has been a better NHL player to date.
I think he is a 45-55 pt player with good defense and PK ability, bad on the PP though. I think we are pumping his stats this season playing him with Kreider and Chytil, while playing Zibanejad with bottom 6 players, for trade value. I definitely don't think he is a 2nd line center on a contending team, but a perfect match for a team like Boston or Carolina as their 3rd line center.

Reactions: jas and Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is it me or do I see Blake Wheeler lite in Hayes? Even the same circumstances. Didn’t sign with the team that drafted him then signed as a free agent. Both huge bodies who don’t play overly physical but can puck handle and make plays.
Very, very lite, but yes, I see the comparison.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Smart post.

They kept Mika because he signed for a very fair (to the Rangers) price. Hayes was clearly not willing to do that. He could have had Mika’s contract.

Kreider a tough one but I’m betting they spend the money to keep him. He seems to have taken his game to a new level. Of course, if they can’t agree on an extension by the draft (I know he can’t sign it until July 1) things may change.

Reactions: Machinehead

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Smart post.

They kept Mika because he signed for a very fair (to the Rangers) price. Hayes was clearly not willing to do that. He could have had Mika’s contract.

Kreider a tough one but I’m betting they spend the money to keep him. He seems to have taken his game to a new level. Of course, if they can’t agree on an extension by the draft (I know he can’t sign it until July 1) things may change.
This isn't an attack on you, just me pointing out something I see a lot of people either not accepting or mis-understanding. Hayes has been very outspoken about wanting to be in New York. He's incredibly vehement about his desire to not leave. He's even gone out of his way at times to almost re-assure and prove he's all about NYC. I think his one quote "I might be a Boston boy but my heart is in NYC, I don't ever want to leave".

The ball here is completely in Gorton's court. I'd love to have him back and roll one of Lias or Chyter to the wing and run four lines with Howden centering the fourth. Management went with the excuse that they'd like to see more from him before committing the term. I think that was very fair of them. The thing now though is Kevin has responded better than they could've asked.

I digress though, comparing Hayes and Mika's contract situations is a little irresponsible. Mika a) took a discount on a RFA deal and b) It's been a year and a half. So you're talking about below market value from 18 months as something he should be happy with? I never blame a player for getting paid, they all should whenever they have the chance. Kevin is at his first pay day and he's willing to sacrifice $ to keep his spot here. He even went with the one year deal (the only offer they were making to him) and played ball being told to go earn his term and prove he can be a good veteran to this team going forward.

He's responded incredibly well, for two years now, being thrust into new roles, new situations and always fighting some sort of criticism.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Smart post.

This isn't an attack on you, just me pointing out something I see a lot of people either not accepting or mis-understanding. Hayes has been very outspoken about wanting to be in New York. He's incredibly vehement about his desire to not leave. He's even gone out of his way at times to almost re-assure and prove he's all about NYC. I think his one quote "I might be a Boston boy but my heart is in NYC, I don't ever want to leave".

The ball here is completely in Gorton's court. I'd love to have him back and roll one of Lias or Chyter to the wing and run four lines with Howden centering the fourth. Management went with the excuse that they'd like to see more from him before committing the term. I think that was very fair of them. The thing now though is Kevin has responded better than they could've asked.

I digress though, comparing Hayes and Mika's contract situations is a little irresponsible. Mika a) took a discount on a RFA deal and b) It's been a year and a half. So you're talking about below market value from 18 months as something he should be happy with? I never blame a player for getting paid, they all should whenever they have the chance. Kevin is at his first pay day and he's willing to sacrifice $ to keep his spot here. He even went with the one year deal (the only offer they were making to him) and played ball being told to go earn his term and prove he can be a good veteran to this team going forward.

He's responded incredibly well, for two years now, being thrust into new roles, new situations and always fighting some sort of criticism.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

This seems pretty revisionist me. Its not the Rangers didn't think Stepan and Mcdonagh were good enough, it was the core group they were apart of were basically done, the window had shut. It was time to reset.

It really didn't make much sense for either NYR or Hayes to sign a longer term deal this past offeseason....Rangers trying to figure out what they have and where htey stand with their youth. Hayes probably wants to see where NYR are at as an organization before commiting and possibly testing the waters of Free Agency.

Reactions: jas

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

I have almost no disagreement with anything you are saying. Hayes is a quality player. He has made it very obvious he wants to stay although anything less than that would have quicken his departure.

I just look at the big picture and see a guy who probably tops out at 50 points (as well as he has played this year, that’s approximately his current pace) I think his expectations are bigger money than his performance justifies. If the Rangers are going to become relevant again Hayes will almost certainly be a third line center. I just can’t see that equation working.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I typically toe the line but you have to keep Hayes...find a way. Bonino on the pens was arguably the most underrated performer of their run. Hayes is a character guy and a big part of the room. He's a guy the young guys look to, plays heavy minutes (which have routinely gotten heavier as he's grown into what he is), and can put up 50-65 a year. The game he plays though is really built for playoff hockey...may just speaking for myself here but I've seen more than enough. Try to lock him up a good term for annual value...he plays a game that should remain valuable for years. Small flashy guys wear out or lose a step but guys he physically resembles/skillset to various extents w/ some of these..(ie marleau, hossa, nash, e staal, getzlaf, johansen, etc). Obviously all of those are more accomplished, the comparison was more to frame and some similar styles, but my larger point is guys that play that type of game with that frame typically have pretty good tread on the tires. I'd love to see something like 6-7x6.0-6.5

Reactions: belford222

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Do not trade him.

LBs article nailed it.

Lock him up for a reasonable contract. Need to have a couple older players in our core, can't be all 22 year olds. Trade Zucc who is declining fast.
His contract isn't going to be reasonable tho

They had a chance to do it last summer. If they couldn't come to an agreement then, I have a hard time believing they'll come to one now

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Why do people ignore the fact that Hayes is trying everything in his power not to leave. Guy is screaming hometown discount. Yes, they should have done it last year. It would have been marginally cheaper. They still should. If he sticks and we can always make his salary work, great hes a great veteran presence with Kreider who came up with this team. If they end up having to trade him he's going to be a valuable asset with a great contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad