Proposal: Kevin Hayes to St. Louis

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The Blues season is one for the roller coaster record book. What would it take to get Hayes in the Blue note?

If he’s traded, the package starts with a 1st but the Blues don’t own one in the 2019 draft.

I’m sure there’s Blues fans that do not want to make any trades. Certainly an argument can be made if the Blues can win 9 in a row then don’t rock the mojo with a trade. I’m not debating if they should or shouldn’t. I’m simply interested in what it would take from the Blues to get him.

My personal guess is a 2020 1st + good prospect + young roster player. The adds might be a little higher since the 1st is in 2020.

I don’t think Armstrong makes the deal unless he knows Hayes will resign. If the deal is a trade with an extension in place I’m not sure how much it raises the price tag.

The main reason for acquiring Hayes is to fill the weakness at 2C. Bozak is fine at 3C but he’s just not skilled enough to be an everyday 2C. Bozak could then be traded in the offseason and allow Thomas to settle in as the 3C.

Hayes for 2020 1st + Kostin + someone like Sanford or Barbashev is my best guess.

Reactions: Ori and Kupo

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think that is a decent proposal.
I think the Rangers liked Kostin in 2017.
Lots of Russian players in the Rangers system.......maybe this works.
The 2020 1st is fair.

CoverYour5

Sep 25, 2018
Pass. 2 things. I'm not messing with team chemistry at this point. Number two: I'm not fully against a trade, but we already dont have our 1st next year, and I'm not trading anything significant from our roster.

Any Blues deal for me is a bottom 6 forward or LD for a lower pick/prospect combo.

Reactions: Dbrownss

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am torn because I really like Hayes, but I don't think it would be wise to sit out the first round of the draft two years in a row. I just don't think we can afford him. Kostin I could part with. Kostin and Fabbri?

Reactions: mab894

Daniel Phillips

Feb 15, 2019
Rangers Receive:
Kostin
Conditional 2020 Pick (If St. Louis makes it to the Western Conference Finals or Stanley Cup (don't know which one)...turns into 2020 1st. If not 2020 2nd)
Toropchenko

Blues Receive:
Hayes (50% Retention)
+ small add (maybe lower draft pick like the 7th they got from Predators)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Rangers Receive:
Kostin
Conditional 2020 Pick (If St. Louis makes it to the Western Conference Finals or Stanley Cup (don't know which one)...turns into 2020 1st. If not 2020 2nd)
Toropchenko

Blues Receive:
Hayes (50% Retention)
I would do this.

Reactions: Daniel Phillips

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Rangers Receive:
Kostin
Toropchenko

Blues Receive:
Hayes (50% Retention)

Change to condition being if St.Louis makes WCF or Hayes re-signs

Reactions: Daniel Phillips

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Blues season is one for the roller coaster record book. What would it take to get Hayes in the Blue note?

If he’s traded, the package starts with a 1st but the Blues don’t own one in the 2019 draft.

I’m sure there’s Blues fans that do not want to make any trades. Certainly an argument can be made if the Blues can win 9 in a row then don’t rock the mojo with a trade. I’m not debating if they should or shouldn’t. I’m simply interested in what it would take from the Blues to get him.

My personal guess is a 2020 1st + good prospect + young roster player. The adds might be a little higher since the 1st is in 2020.

I don’t think Armstrong makes the deal unless he knows Hayes will resign. If the deal is a trade with an extension in place I’m not sure how much it raises the price tag.

The main reason for acquiring Hayes is to fill the weakness at 2C. Bozak is fine at 3C but he’s just not skilled enough to be an everyday 2C. Bozak could then be traded in the offseason and allow Thomas to settle in as the 3C.

Hayes for 2020 1st + Kostin + someone like Sanford or Barbashev is my best guess.
He's a fine player but don't see how makes sense to give up this much for him for Blues. If he makes FA I would want to speak to him, but sending 1st and Kostin and another solid young player to rent him (or even to overpay to buy out his impending FA) seems like bad idea.

Reactions: rumrokh

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Rangers Receive:
Kostin
Toropchenko

Blues Receive:
Hayes (50% Retention)
Not sure I would deal 1st or top prospect for any rental this year if I was Blues GM. Our biggest question remains in goal, where Binnington has been great but is a huge wild card and Allen is hardly a safety net. If Binnington falters Hayes or whomever we add up front won't save us. If Binnington holds up, we are playing great and don't think guy like Hayes is enough of an upgrade to mess with that. Stone and Panarin are probably special enough that you would do it despite risks, but anyone else?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Why change the team now. They have chemistry

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Maybe I'm just undervaluing Hayes but this does not feel worth it in the slightest.

If you're giving up a first plus Kostin, then just add more until you have enough for Stone.

Just my opinion but I don’t think Ottawa will trade Stone without a 2019 1st being in the deal. I also don’t see RW as big of a need as 2C. With Schenn seemingly a permanent fixture at LW the need for a legitimate 2C is there. I don’t think Thomas will be thrust into that position.

As I stated originally the case for if the Blues should or shouldn’t make the trade is kind of irrelevant to this thread. It’s really just to gauge value.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Just my opinion but I don’t think Ottawa will trade Stone without a 2019 1st being in the deal. I also don’t see RW as big of a need as 2C. With Schenn seemingly a permanent fixture at LW the need for a legitimate 2C is there. I don’t think Thomas will be thrust into that position.

As I stated originally the case for if the Blues should or shouldn’t make the trade is kind of irrelevant to this thread. It’s really just to gauge value.

In that case, it's probably good value in a vacuum and what Hayes likely ends up going for.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I would really hate to deal Kostin, a 1st, and Trop for Hayes. He's a weird player, because he's a solid middle 6-er but some people don't give him any credit and some people overvalue him. I think his value would be about Bokk and a 2nd or 3rd, personally. But maybe I'm way off as well.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

Schenn was a “permanent fixture” at center last year, and we have Robert Thomas, Bozak, and Sundqvist as top-9 centers. Hayes should be an off-season move. We definitely have more of a hole at 2RW since Perron is a better LW anyway.

Since Hayes is a rental, a lesser pick and Kostin should be the price.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only way I do this is if we can't get a 1st elsewhere.

The 2019 draft is supposed to be stacked.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Gotta give Blues fans some credit. Realizing you have to give up something to get a quality two way center with size who is in his prime.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yeah ... we can't afford him. If I was the Rangers GM I would re-sign him. He's young enough to fit into a rebuild, and I think he would be more valuable to the team than the return he would get at the TDL.

Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hayes is a great player, but don't really see him as a need for St. Louis. Obviously he makes the team better but not worth the price for the Blues IMO.

If we are solely talking about "value in a vacuum," then rental price for a top 6 C at the TDL is generally 1st + decent prospect. Given Hayes' age and the numbers he's putting this season, I think a fair ask would be 1st + good prospect + conditional pick (based on re-signing). Not sure exactly what those pieces would be from the Blues, and again, I would not want to give them up for Hayes, but that's probably the general framework.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad