Proposal: Kevin Hayes to St. Louis

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Deal from NYR. Kostin would be a great fit. Kravstov, Kostin, Rykov, Buchnevich, Igor, maybe Panarin, Namestikov as of now, and maybe Barbashev. Rangers looking like the 90’s red wings.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Yeah no. Kostin and a conditional 2020 pick for Hayes at 50% is fair.
Hard pass. No thanks. It’s fair, but piss poor asset management. He’s 20 in the AHL with no talent around him. That’s why I would insist on Hajek who is in the same spot as Kostin as we are pissing in the wind giving up a prospect for a forward when defense and goaltending are what will kill us in the playoffs.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Wouldn’t trade Kostin. Huge mistake.

Fabbri
Toropchenko
1st

Kostin is in the deal then Libor Hajek comes with Hayes

It is a really weird deal to trade Kostin for Hayes. Our forward depth actually looks good for once, and will look better when Perron gets back. 1st line is killer, Sunny looks good, Sanford is playing better, Schwartz is coming around. Our forward depth can always be better, but as is, it is pretty good. Our prospect depth is atrocious right now. Kyrou probably graduates to the big club at some point next year, Blais possibly as well. Then it's just Kostin and Bokk in the pipeline. Doesn't make a ton of sense to deal from a weakness (top prospects and down a 1st round pick already) to help a strength of the franchise.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
It is a really weird deal to trade Kostin for Hayes. Our forward depth actually looks good for once, and will look better when Perron gets back. 1st line is killer, Sunny looks good, Sanford is playing better, Schwartz is coming around. Our forward depth can always be better, but as is, it is pretty good. Our prospect depth is atrocious right now. Kyrou probably graduates to the big club at some point next year, Blais possibly as well. Then it's just Kostin and Bokk in the pipeline. Doesn't make a ton of sense to deal from a weakness (top prospects and down a 1st round pick already) to help a strength of the franchise.
Gunnarsson is hurt again. What’s your plan on defense? Honestly do not need another forward

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would do a 2020 1st and Kostin for Hayes. I wanted Kostin with that 2nd pick in the first round of the 2017 draft.

Agree, notwithstanding while IMO Hayes is likely only a rental who returns to NYR, that competition will == high price. Concur it is acceptable, and a finalist for the successful bid.
A comparable prospect and a 2019 instead, depending on the prospect, might bump the 2020 offered.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
I have no problem with Bozak or our other centers. Playing alongside Steen all year is not going to result in a ton of points for anyone. Regardless, our center position is manned the best it has been in many years with good options.

I like Hayes but not as a rental and not now. We don't need a rental center, maybe a LW sniper. But that can wait also. Why block Fabri and Perron?

Sometimes the best trade is the trade you don't make.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Agree, notwithstanding while IMO Hayes is likely only a rental who returns to NYR, that competition will == high price. Concur it is acceptable, and a finalist for the successful bid.
A comparable prospect and a 2019 instead, depending on the prospect, might bump the 2020 offered.

St. Louis doesn’t have a 2019 first.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Hayes is a great player, but don't really see him as a need for St. Louis. Obviously he makes the team better but not worth the price for the Blues IMO.

If we are solely talking about "value in a vacuum," then rental price for a top 6 C at the TDL is generally 1st + decent prospect. Given Hayes' age and the numbers he's putting this season, I think a fair ask would be 1st + good prospect + conditional pick (based on re-signing). Not sure exactly what those pieces would be from the Blues, and again, I would not want to give them up for Hayes, but that's probably the general framework.

I think we are better off keeping kyrou, kostin, bokk and now break out lefreiere. We should try to get a first rnd pick somehow. And draft dmen. Resign jaybo to cheaper contract hopefully kyrou will be ready and kostin won't be to far away.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Maybe I'm just undervaluing Hayes but this does not feel worth it in the slightest.

If you're giving up a first plus Kostin, then just add more until you have enough for Stone.
I would think a 1st and kostin would get you panarin. I would be unwilling to give that up for a rental that has no intention on signing.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I would think a 1st and kostin would get you panarin. I would be unwilling to give that up for a rental that has no intention on signing.

As I said in the original post I don’t think Armstrong would make this trade for a pure rental of Hayes, or anyone for that matter.

Panarin is going to UFA. I haven’t heard anything about Hayes dead set on reaching UFA and there’s no reason to think he would not sign with the Blues.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
As I said in the original post I don’t think Armstrong would make this trade for a pure rental of Hayes, or anyone for that matter.

Panarin is going to UFA. I haven’t heard anything about Hayes dead set on reaching UFA and there’s no reason to think he would not sign with the Blues.
We just signed Bozak for 5m and Thomas is supposed to be our 2nd line center in the near future. We could definitely use him this year, but if we're looking for a long-term piece I think a RW makes more sense. Not to mention our biggest need a LD that can play with Petro.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Gunnarsson is hurt again. What’s your plan on defense? Honestly do not need another forward

Funny enough, I was going to mention that. Our LD depth is atrocious going forward. Even if we bring J Bouw back, he's still ancient. Eddy looks not great. If we're trading for someone, I would hope we waited until the off-season and got a LD instead of another C. Hayes is a good player, but a luxiry I don't believe we can afford rn.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
We just signed Bozak for 5m and Thomas is supposed to be our 2nd line center in the near future. We could definitely use him this year, but if we're looking for a long-term piece I think a RW makes more sense. Not to mention our biggest need a LD that can play with Petro.

I said Bozak would have to be moved in the offseason and that would allow Thomas the opportunity to develop his game at 3C much like Point did in TB.

This isn’t really the thread to get deep into the C vs RW need but there’s only 6 wing slots in the top 9. Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz, & Perron hold 4 of those slots and are signed for multiple years. You then have Steen unfortunately locking down the 5th slot. That leaves 1 wing slot for Fabbri, Sanford, and Thomas. I won’t include Maroon because it’s extremely doubtful he’ll be here next season.

Looking forward to only next year you can add Kyrou and Kostin in the mix for one of those wing slots. If you read between the lines in the Kostin piece by JR in the Athletic it screamed that Kostin is counting on playing in the NHL by next season. If he’s not in the NHL next year he could bolt back to Russia.

Bozak isn’t a 2C and they’re not throwing Thomas to the wolves. Hayes is the perfect fit.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I said Bozak would have to be moved in the offseason and that would allow Thomas the opportunity to develop his game at 3C much like Point did in TB.

This isn’t really the thread to get deep into the C vs RW need but there’s only 6 wing slots in the top 9. Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz, & Perron hold 4 of those slots and are signed for multiple years. You then have Steen unfortunately locking down the 5th slot. That leaves 1 wing slot for Fabbri, Sanford, and Thomas. I won’t include Maroon because it’s extremely doubtful he’ll be here next season.

Looking forward to only next year you can add Kyrou and Kostin in the mix for one of those wing slots. If you read between the lines in the Kostin piece by JR in the Athletic it screamed that Kostin is counting on playing in the NHL by next season. If he’s not in the NHL next year he could bolt back to Russia.

Bozak isn’t a 2C and they’re not throwing Thomas to the wolves. Hayes is the perfect fit.
You had both Kostin and Sanford going out in the original proposal. I feel like it's more likely we ship Kyrou if we're going for premier talent since I imagine his value is a bit higher. Perron can play on the third line and I don't think Bozak will be a hot commodity on the trade market. Schenn has also said his preferred position is center and another winger acquisition would probably put him back at 2C.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You had both Kostin and Sanford going out in the original proposal. I feel like it's more likely we ship Kyrou if we're going for premier talent since I imagine his value is a bit higher. Perron can play on the third line and I don't think Bozak will be a hot commodity on the trade market. Schenn has also said his preferred position is center and another winger acquisition would probably put him back at 2C.

I had Sanford or Barbashev in the OP. My reply you just quoted gives the scenario of wingers if there’s no trade to illustrate the Blues are already overflowing with wingers even before next year.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I had Sanford or Barbashev in the OP. My reply you just quoted gives the scenario of wingers if there’s no trade to illustrate the Blues are already overflowing with wingers even before next year.
Really just depends where you put Schenn. Barbie's a good fourth line center so I'd choose Sanford if we're moving one of those two because we do have an abundance of bottom 6 wingers. Anyway I really don't think they'll make any moves.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Crazy how the Blues went from talking about top 3 pick and selling off some of their "vets" to possibly going very far in the playoffs if they acquire someone like Hayes

Reactions: Drew311

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad