Friedman: Kevin Hayes Linked to Boston & Colorado

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
You really should learn what the definition of it seems is. It's been over 2 weeks, there's been no other leaks about this. If it was gonna happen, it would have happened by now. Unless Rangers come down from their demands for a trade return, Avs aren't gonna pony up.

The Rangers traded all of their players the week of the trade deadline last year. Same will probably be with Hayes. I'm sure they're gauging interest now but there won't be any activity unless its an overpayment from a team

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
No..there is a holiday trade freeze. You really don't know what it seems means.

This was dead in the water before the trade freeze took effect.

It’s highly probable multiple teams are interested, and it’s also probable that the Rangers won’t move him until after January 1st when they can feel out a contract extension. Or trade him at the deadline which is when most trades are likely to happen.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Rangers traded all of their players the week of the trade deadline last year. Same will probably be with Hayes. I'm sure they're gauging interest now but there won't be any activity unless its an overpayment from a team

We can't sign a new contract with him until Jan. I don't see any reason to trade before those negotiations start. So while this could be dead in the water, it's not something Rangers should look at doing before understanding what contract demands Hayes is asking for.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
30 pages on Kevin Hayes - definitely a slow trade year so far.

Yes and no.

If you look at the list of Unrestricted Free Agents for 2019, Hayes is nowhere near the top of the list. You have Karlsson, Panarin, Stone, Skinner, Duchene. Then you there's Pavelski, Lee, Staal, Gardiner, Myers.

Now how many of those teams are looking to trade away one of their core pieces with playoffs in their sights? How many playoff teams have assets they can part with for those top UFA players? How many of those playoff teams have enough cap space to make the trade and think they can sign the player to an extension?

With Hayes, he's not at the top of the list, but he's a player who can definitely help you and comes at a reasonable trade price, along a better possibility of having cap space to sign.

Reactions: bl02

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just me, or does it seem so much longer?
I may have miscalculated a day or so - don't feel like looking again at when this was started. But yeah, it does feel like it's been all season already.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He's an ufa 6'5" 2way center with 32 points in 36 games....

Considering he is 26 as well, it really begs the question as to why priority number one is not re-signing him versus trading him. He has more value going forward for the Rangers on a new deal than as a pending UFA traded at the deadline, particularly given the traditional price UFA rental price.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Considering he is 26 as well, it really begs the question as to why priority number one is not re-signing him versus trading him. He has more value going forward for the Rangers on a new deal than as a pending UFA traded at the deadline, particularly given the traditional price UFA rental price.

Let's rehash:

1. 26 doesn't fit the Rangers' timeline for a rebuild.
  2. Hayes wants a NTC. Having 2 centers that are this old signed to long term deals with NTC, is just asking for trouble.
  3. The Rangers' top prospects are also centers.
  4. The Rangers need to build around young cost controlled assets. Not older players with bought UFA years.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Let's rehash:

1. 26 doesn't fit the Rangers' timeline for a rebuild.
  2. Hayes wants a NTC. Having 2 centers that are this old signed to long term deals with NTC, is just asking for trouble.
  3. The Rangers' top prospects are also centers.
  4. The Rangers need to build around young cost controlled assets. Not older players with bought UFA years.

If 26 year-old nearly PPG centers with size don't fit within the team vision going forward, Rangers fans may be better served focusing their attention on their front office rather than trades.

Reactions: The S5

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
If 26 year-old nearly PPG centers with size don't fit within the team vision going forward, Rangers fans may be better served focusing their attention on their front office rather than trades.

If you think Hayes is going to be a PPG center when the Rangers are ready to compete in year 4 or 5 of a new contract..... Sure... But I have my doubts.

The idea is to sell high. Hayes will be firmly on the decline with a NTC by the time the Rangers are ready to compete.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So trading Hayes for a late first round pick and a B level prospect is going to propel the "rebuild" into overdrive for the Rangers? That is the going currency for UFA rental trades, unless somehow this is the rare exception to the rule.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
So trading Hayes for a late first round pick and a B level prospect is going to propel the "rebuild" into overdrive for the Rangers? That is the going currency for UFA rental trades, unless somehow this is the rare exception to the rule.

Overdrive? Who knows. But a first round pick clearly fits better than a 30 year old center with a NTC that is blocking the progression of other assets.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Overdrive? Who knows. But a first round pick clearly fits better than a 30 year old center with a NTC that is blocking the progression of other assets.

Seems reasonable, I was not sure where you were going with your line of thinking.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If you think Hayes is going to be a PPG center when the Rangers are ready to compete in year 4 or 5 of a new contract..... Sure... But I have my doubts.

The idea is to sell high. Hayes will be firmly on the decline with a NTC by the time the Rangers are ready to compete.

I wish my crystal ball was as clear as yours. At this stage, there is absolutely no way to tell whether the Rangers will be any more able to contend in 4-5 years. Simply having prospects, yes, a new concept for the Rangers, is no guaranty of success. But, having productive, proven players is clearly a path to success.
Unless Hayes brings back a haul, and is willing to sign a reasonable contract, the Rangers should do everything they can to resign him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’m good w a 1st and Bowers for Hayes

At this point Avs would be putting protections on the pick since we're heading in the wrong direction.

That said I think COL 1st(Top 10 protected) + Bowers + Conditional 2020 3rd(Conditional on Hayes Re-Signing) is fair value.

Some Avs fans will say it's an overpayment but were getting a big #2C who shouldn't have much issue producing 50-60 points a season for 4-5 years while he's here. The chances of our pick or Bowers turning into a player better than what Hayes already is, is quite slim. Toss in that the Avs window is realistically going to be opening in the next 1-2 years while Mack and Landeskog are still signed under 6.5M. That 1st is going to be another 4 years before it has any major impact on the team and Bowers is probably 2-3 years away still.

It makes too much sense really.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
At this point Avs would be putting protections on the pick since we're heading in the wrong direction.

That said I think COL 1st(Top 10 protected) + Bowers + Conditional 2020 3rd(Conditional on Hayes Re-Signing) is fair value.

Some Avs fans will say it's an overpayment but were getting a big #2C who shouldn't have much issue producing 50-60 points a season for 4-5 years while he's here. The chances of our pick or Bowers turning into a player better than what Hayes already is, is quite slim. Toss in that the Avs window is realistically going to be opening in the next 1-2 years while Mack and Landeskog are still signed under 6.5M. That 1st is going to be another 4 years before it has any major impact on the team and Bowers is probably 2-3 years away still.

It makes too much sense really.

Rangers want to add firsts and past 1st round talent. I think Hayes can help you guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad