Kevin Hayes is a Ranger

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I said a 'part of it'..when did I say the Hawks dumped him...anywhere? Didnt think so. I said it could be possible the Hawks didnt come close to offering 2.85mil which could have helped his decision.

Yes, it's possible. It would also be a massive surprise given it would be pretty hard for him to hit the bonuses on the team anyway.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So you guys think the Hawks would offer 3.75mil total with a possibilty he hits those bonuses with a now tight cap with Toews and Kane? Maybe they only offered 3mil, or something like that. All I am saying is it could have added fuel to his fire to leave.

It's also not nearly as outlandish as saying they didn't or wouldn't offer him a contract. Just couldn't see the Hawks offering the rookie max to him, just imo.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yes, I think they offered him the max contract. It was obvious they really wanted to sign him. He is far more valuable to them than the unpredictability of a late second round pick.

Those bonuses aren't that easy to hit, especially if you're getting bottom 6 times (and won't necessarily play the entire year in the NHL).

I think he decided a while ago he wasn't signing and never waivered from that...b/c he figured he'd get more NHL time, quicker elsewhere...and probably because his dumb brother bad mouthed the team a lot.

You have to remember his ELC is only two years and it can't slide...so the clock starts running on it right away. With his second contract coming up so quickly, there is a big swing on what he can get paid depending on how much time he's spending in the NHL (for example as a regular) vs spending most of his time in the AHL waiting for his chance.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
A large portion of those bonuses are contingent on him winning the Conne Smythe, Calder etc.

yeah, what are the bonus clauses in the deal? He's not going to be the Calder winner or Conn Smythe on the Hawks (or any team really) And if he did reach those targets on the hawks, that means he's awesome and/or they won another Cup because he was more awesome than all the awesome hawk players. That's a great problem to have.

So I doubt Stan had a problem including those clauses while paying him the normal one-way salary/cap hit he got that is basically equal to the cap-bury number if he doesn't make the team.

If the bonuses were for more pedestrian targets, than maybe NY and others offered a better financial deals for him.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I still think that Players drafted by a Team should sign with them... that's how it should work. After spending 4 years of giving him time and help him develop.

Think we should get that compensatory pick from the Rangers

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It occurs to me: what if, in an alternate universe, the hawks traded Morin+Olsen for Versteeg and we still had Jimmy? Would we be better off?

morin+2nd round pick

Vs

Jimmy Hayes, Kevin Hayes

I think I prefer the path we're on.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
It occurs to me: what if, in an alternate universe, the hawks traded Morin+Olsen for Versteeg and we still had Jimmy? Would we be better off?

morin+2nd round pick

Vs

Jimmy Hayes, Kevin Hayes

I think I prefer the path we're on.

I doubt that him playing with his brother was very important to him. For obvious reasons.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'm ok with him being gone, particularly as it seems that he didn't want to play for the Hawks. He certainly didn't "imprint" psychologically with the Hawks, as most draftees will with their respective teams. He lost that emotional connectedness with the organization, and didn't give it a chance to regain it. Four years is a long time in a 22 year olds' life.

However, I'm certainly not ok with essentially trading a mid-late first round pick for a mid-late second round pick. Anything after the mid-late first round is a complete crap shoot in the draft, and more likely than not the player chosen at 54 will only sniff the NHL for his career.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm ok with him being gone, particularly as it seems that he didn't want to play for the Hawks. He certainly didn't "imprint" psychologically with the Hawks, as most draftees will with their respective teams. He lost that emotional connectedness with the organization, and didn't give it a chance to regain it. Four years is a long time in a 22 year olds' life.

However, I'm certainly not ok with essentially trading a mid-late first round pick for a mid-late second round pick. Anything after the mid-late first round is a complete crap shoot in the draft, and more likely than not the player chosen at 54 will only sniff the NHL for his career.

Duncan Keith, Bryan Bickell, Corey Crawford, Brandon Saad, Adam Clendening, Stephen Johns, Dave Bolland, Brandon Pirri. A lot of sniffing the NHL for Hawks 2nd rounders. 4/8 Hawks draft picks from 2007-2011 are NHL players. After 2011, too early to judge, before 2007 is a whole different group of people making the decision.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
He is not going to touch any of those bonused especially the B portion. Look what Toews had to pull off to make his B bonus.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I still think that Players drafted by a Team should sign with them... that's how it should work. After spending 4 years of giving him time and help him develop.

Think we should get that compensatory pick from the Rangers

three years ago that 2nd would have been 57th overall as the Rangers made the conference finals.

two years ago that 2nd would have been 53rd

Last season it would have been 59th

if you average out draft position, the pick is 56th overall.

Take the 54th selection and be happy.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I said a 'part of it'..when did I say the Hawks dumped him...anywhere? Didnt think so. I said it could be possible the Hawks didnt come close to offering 2.85mil which could have helped his decision.

Again you argue semantics. If Hawks weren't willing to offer Hayes the bonuses he sought and knew he could negotiate elsewhere, isn't that the same as dumping him? Assuming those bonusses are at the NHL level, Q could easily have assured that they were never met. :naughty: :p:

The worrisome part of all this is that other University players will have watched these proceedings. Has Hayes set some kind of precedent for some of the higher draft picks who chose, or will choose, to get an education before playing pro hockey?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
People keep saying this but we wasted 4 years of development time on him too. Time that could've been spent developing someone else. Even if that 2nd ends up being better than Kayes, he's most likely going to take years to develop as well.

So instead of a first round pick being on our roster, we get to wait maybe 7 years later (from 2010) and see if he even pans out.

I don't fault bowman but this 2nd rounder isn't some blessing
The pick in the first place was terrible. Hayes was slated to go somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round; it was really a big surprise when the Hawks drafted him. It's why I compared him to Shea McClellan earlier in the thread--it's the same situation. A new GM comes in and thinks he can hit a home run with a guy who has some interesting tools but a questionable skillset for the pros.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
The pick in the first place was terrible. Hayes was slated to go somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round; it was really a big surprise when the Hawks drafted him. It's why I compared him to Shea McClellan earlier in the thread--it's the same situation. A new GM comes in and thinks he can hit a home run with a guy who has some interesting tools but a questionable skillset for the pros.

He was pegged to go that late? Maybe I am forgetting something, but I didn't think that we was that lowly regarded.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
That 2010 draft for the Hawks looks really bad, especially when you consider all the extra picks they had from the sell-off. Stephen Johns seems to be the last man standing that can bring something good out of the draft.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
That 2010 draft for the Hawks looks really bad, especially when you consider all the extra picks they had from the sell-off. Stephen Johns seems to be the last man standing that can bring something good out of the draft.

It sure does, and I wonder if the Hawks pushed the idea of packaging the 24th & 30th to move up ??

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
That is what I seemed to remember. Him being s projected mid 2nd rounder. I thought there was a rumor some other team was going to take him if the Hawks didn't...but my memory is getting fuzzy on this.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all, but guys available after Hayes...Howden, Kuznetsov, Visentin, Coyle, Etem, Nelson, Petrovic, Faulk, Spooner, Toffoli (ugh)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NHL_Entry_Draft

But honestly, we won a cup in 2013 so who really cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad