I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming,
I can hear them say

Last edited:

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I can't believe that this topic went to a second thread. August 15th can't get here soon enough

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sarava:

Well if you listen to interviews with prospects. They talk about the Hawks sending scouts out to watch their games, them watching them on tv. Constantly telling them what to work on, etc.

You don't think they draft these guys and forget about them until they sign, do you?

Blue Liner:

All of this, plus all the expense of bringing the players in every summer for prospects camp, which includes flying them in, putting them up in a hotel, feeding them, giving them equipment, paying to bring and put up all staff in for the week to do that, etc, etc.

Wow Blue Liner I don't think i've ever disagreed with a post of yours before. Sarava, all the time :yo:

Kayes doesn't owe the Hawks anything. The money and time the Hawks wasted on him is no different from what's wasted on any other failed prospect, that which there are many. I get why people don't like him. The Twitter stuff and him choosing not to play here justifiably puts a bad taste in our mouths. But he's in a position to make a professional choice for himself, and it's something he's entitled to do.

I think he's insane for not wanting to be even a small part of this organization for even a portion of his career but I don't think you can hate the guy or angrily say he wasted the Hawks time. This is part of the risk of drafting a kid in the NCAA, it happened with Schultz, it's probably going to happen with Kayes, and it's definitely going to happen again to other teams.

Bowman gambled by drafting a college player knowing that at the end of his college career he'll be given a choice to sign here or sign elsewhere. It sucks that it played out this way but I don't think it's justified to not like the dude.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The way he's handling the situation is far from endearing. It's his career and he can do what he wishes, but there's a way to do it without coming off like a total tool.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Wow Blue Liner I don't think i've ever disagreed with a post of yours before. Sarava, all the time :yo:

Kayes doesn't owe the Hawks anything. The money and time the Hawks wasted on him is no different from what's wasted on any other failed prospect, that which there are many. I get why people don't like him. The Twitter stuff and him choosing not to play here justifiably puts a bad taste in our mouths. But he's in a position to make a professional choice for himself, and it's something he's entitled to do.

I think he's insane for not wanting to be even a small part of this organization for even a portion of his career but I don't think you can hate the guy or angrily say he wasted the Hawks time. This is part of the risk of drafting a kid in the NCAA, it happened with Schultz, it's probably going to happen with Kayes, and it's definitely going to happen again to other teams.

Bowman gambled by drafting a college player knowing that at the end of his college career he'll be given a choice to sign here or sign elsewhere. It sucks that it played out this way but I don't think it's justified to not like the dude.

I wasn't suggesting he owes them anything, at all, just stating expenses teams go through to develop and invest in prospects. If you've seen my numerous posts on this subject I've sided with Hayes in that it's decision and I understand it and that he owes the organization nothing. He's exercising his rights under what the CBA allows. I don't really blame him at all.

As for who pays for camp expenses, I'm about positive the players don't pay for anything. At most, they pay for their flight and reimbursed for it.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Doesn't that go against like every NCAA rule?

Most NCAA sports you can't get drafted and then keep playing NCAA like hockey so who knows how things are different for them with regard to prospect camps and the like.

The Hawks had a separate prospect combine of their own after the NHL Combine for all players on their radar who weren't invited to the main combine, and I know for a fact those players were all flown in for the camp so I don't see any reason why the prospect camp wouldn't be the same way.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I never said he owed them anything, just that a good deal of money and time was spent on him. I don't see what you're disagreeing with from my post?

Nothingman*

Seems like he is still ******** by the Hawks not signing him last year when he wanted to sign. But can you blame Stan to be like......pump the brakes. You almost had a leg amputated. Let's see what happens next year. So maybe this is the Kevin Hayes middle finger to the Hawks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There was never any indication that Kevin Hayes wanted to sign last year ,, Can you provide link to this claim?

Infact if I recall it wasn't long after his injury he said he was going to return for senior year

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Most NCAA sports you can't get drafted and then keep playing NCAA like hockey so who knows how things are different for them with regard to prospect camps and the like.

The Hawks had a separate prospect combine of their own after the NHL Combine for all players on their radar who weren't invited to the main combine, and I know for a fact those players were all flown in for the camp so I don't see any reason why the prospect camp wouldn't be the same way.

This is what I got from http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq

Q: Can I attend an NHL team's summer development camp?

A: NCAA players may attend NHL summer development camps, or prospect camps, but must pay their own way (transportation, lodging, food, etc.). - See more at: http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq#sthash.aXMuM82M.dpuf

And it lines up with everything I've ever heard/been told.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Nothingman*

There was never any indication that Kevin Hayes wanted to sign last year ,, Can you provide link to this claim?

Infact if I recall it wasn't long after his injury he said he was going to return for senior year

I was reading the main board thread and that was claimed in there I believe.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

It was word on the street. He would've signed junior year if offered. He knew he wouldn't be signed after injury though. He understood the game last year when it worked against him, and this year when working for him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This is what I got from http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq

Q: Can I attend an NHL team's summer development camp?

A: NCAA players may attend NHL summer development camps, or prospect camps, but must pay their own way (transportation, lodging, food, etc.). - See more at: http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq#sthash.aXMuM82M.dpuf

And it lines up with everything I've ever heard/been told.

The Hawks combine was 48 hours which is allowed by NCAA rules so the Hawks paid for it. Prospect Camp clearly would be different. Learn something new every day.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's his choice, and while none of us are maybe happy about it, we don't have a say in the matter.

He's not signing with the hawks. Instead of giving us a new thread in which half of us will trash on him, why don't we get rid of these Hayes threads all together. Alleviates some of the sting, and makes it easy to move on.

Last edited:

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
I can't wait for the NCAA to go semi-pro so all the tomfoolery over who pays for what is over. Would be real nice to have college prospects coming to higher level training camps with their expenses paid. Make them at least on par with major junior players in that regard. I also wouldn't mind having the ability to sign college draftees immediately and pay them AHL money while they're in college. They would probably have to give up their scholarships, but everyone knows those are a joke anyway.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The only reason he should sign with the Hawks is because they are a wonderful organization with a lot of talent.

But that talent thing is an issue. There is going to be a logjam of forwards.

The Hawks seem poised to have Toews, TT, and Shaw down the middle long-term. Centers are a hot commodity in the NHL. Top-six centers are golden.

The fact of the matter is that TT is the prized gem of the Chicago system. If he pans out like the front office hopes, Kayes can't be a top-six center in Chicago.

It is probably best for his aspirations to move on, but with as classy as an organization as the Hawks are, it's only righteous to be classy back to the organization that made the dream of getting selected in the draft happen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Like I've said before, all we can hope for is that the 2nd round pick we receive turns out to be better than this turd. Wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I am actively rooting for this guy to bust. I realize that's its stupid to wish ill on a player but I don't care. I hope not only does he bust but he is a waste of a contract spot for whoever signs him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I am actively rooting for this guy to bust. I realize that's its stupid to wish ill on a player but I don't care. I hope not only does he bust but he is a waste of a contract spot for whoever signs him.

Agreed. I'm a fan, not a family member or a friend. I don't care if it's his dream, as a fan of the Hawks, I hope his dream is crushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad