Kevin Hayes is a Ranger

Nothingman*

Could somebody explain why we can hold college players all 4 years of college and other's I think you need to sign them after 2? What about Euro's? Is that correct Maybe what to do is sign them after 3 years of College?

Their performance matters as well as organizational needs. Hayes had a less than mediocre first three years at BC not warranting a contract. Especially when he had a sever injury last year. It is all on a case by case basis.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I don't think he'll be cracking the Rangers' top six this year. But in a year or two, maybe.

Glad this is over. Time to just move on.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I was asking more along the lines of
1)Player's going to US colleges become Free agents the summer after there SR year so if you draft them at 18 you control them for 4 years before they become FA.
2)if draft a 18 Euro how long before he becomes a FA?
3)if you draft 18 playing in Canadian league when do they become FA if you do not sign them?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Could somebody explain why we can hold college players all 4 years of college and other's I think you need to sign them after 2? What about Euro's? Is that correct Maybe what to do is sign them after 3 years of College?

It's all in the CBA.

For Euro players, if they're drafted as an 18 or 19 year old, they have their rights for 4 years. If the player is drafted as a 20 year old or older, the team has their rights for 2 years.

If you draft a player from major junior, typically you have 2 years to sign them (although there rules change a bit if they leave major jr before they're 20). If you don't they go back into the draft. But that can only happen once - so practically speaking those players can become UFAs after a total of 4 years from their initial draft year.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't think he'll be cracking the Rangers' top six this year. But in a year or two, maybe.

Glad this is over. Time to just move on.

Yeah, and that's why choosing NYR is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe it wasn't all about money after all but it now seems obvious that signing with the Hawks has been off his radar for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if his brother's experience here was a larger factor than many would care to admit.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kevin Weekes ‏@KevinWeekes
Just spoke to a member of the @NYRangers Front Office re signing of Hayes : " 6'5 skilled Centre Ice Men are hard to find."Great point

If true and the Rangers are going to revive the Hayes at C experiment then I think this is likely a failure for them

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, and that's why choosing NYR is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe it wasn't all about money after all but it now seems obvious that signing with the Hawks has been off his radar for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if his brother's experience here was a larger factor than many would care to admit.

His brother couldn't earn a spot as far as I understand. Was/is there anything more to it than that ?

From everything I have read Kevin is more talented than his brother, so I would think that he would understand that would work in his favor.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
His brother couldn't earn a spot as far as I understand. Was/is there anything more to it than that ?

From everything I have read Kevin is more talented than his brother, so I would think that he would understand that would work in his favor.

They just want to put this on Q some how, not surprised.

I would say our depth is the biggest factor here, and that's why the Rangers makes the most sense. they lost all their depth this year. Hayes knew he wasn't going to make it in Chicago this year, he has a much better chance in NY.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
At the end of the day, all that matters is that the compensatory pick is worth more than Hayes.

People keep saying this but we wasted 4 years of development time on him too. Time that could've been spent developing someone else. Even if that 2nd ends up being better than Kayes, he's most likely going to take years to develop as well.

So instead of a first round pick being on our roster, we get to wait maybe 7 years later (from 2010) and see if he even pans out.

I don't fault bowman but this 2nd rounder isn't some blessing

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They just want to put this on Q some how, not surprised.

I would say our depth is the biggest factor here, and that's why the Rangers makes the most sense. they lost all their depth this year. Hayes knew he wasn't going to make it in Chicago this year, he has a much better chance in NY.

I agree, but certainly not the only factor... of which have been discussed over and over, and over again.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I wonder if the bonuses is a part of what hung this deal up from Chicagos POV.

Just saw Hayes got a 2.85mil bonus on his contract + base salary of 900k. Don't think Chicago would want to entertain the possibility of him hitting that kind of bonus anytime in the next few years with how tight the cap is going to be.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if the bonuses is a part of what hung this deal up from Chicagos POV.

Just saw Hayes got a 2.85mil bonus on his contract + base salary of 900k. Don't think Chicago would want to entertain the possibility of him hitting that kind of bonus anytime in the next few years with how tight the cap is going to be.

I think what hung up the deal was that Hayes refused to sign with the team because he wanted to go elsewhere. I do not think the reason was that the Hawks were unwilling to give him the contract he wanted - although I can see how the "he didn't dump the Hawks, the Hawks dumped him" narrative would be attractive to some.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I said a 'part of it'..when did I say the Hawks dumped him...anywhere? Didnt think so. I said it could be possible the Hawks didnt come close to offering 2.85mil which could have helped his decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad