Kevin Hayes and Jeff Petry are outscoring Patrick Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
People will be surprised in the playoffs, where games are won on the PP and PK, that Laine can be a gamechanging player. Remember this post please!

Reactions: The Big M

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Would the Jets trade Laine? Just curious, my guess is that it’d depend on his contract ask.

Not saying they should, he still could very easily nail 40 goals this year, but I’m wondering what the sentiment is around the fans.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I guess if Laine had 25 assists right now nobody would be calling him a washed up bum and popping threads to **** on him.
Should a young star in his 3rd season who is having a considerably worse season than his rookie season be removed from criticism?

From 16-17 to 17-18 he was 2nd in the league in goals, 2nd in gpg, and 32nd in points.

He is capable of much more than his 19th in goals, and being tied for 103rd in points.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Laine has been terrible this season outside of about a month.

Who cares? I believe he will get it together and be a superstar.

Reactions: The Big M

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Has it been 15 minutes since the last "Laine sucks" thread already?

I enjoy these as much as the next Leafs fan (we planned a "crap on Laine" schedule at our last meeting) but the last one has been off the front page for what, a day? Way, way ahead of schedule.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Should a young star in his 3rd season who is having a considerably worse season than his rookie season be removed from criticism?

From 16-17 to 17-18 he was 2nd in the league in goals, 2nd in gpg, and 32nd in points.

He is capable of much more than his 19th in goals, and being tied for 103rd in points.

This.

That said, this thread is unnecessary. He's bad this year, we get it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Oh look, another poop-on-Laine thread. I'm not a big fan of Mr. Fortnite, but this is getting ridiculous.
At this point is deserved imo. Its one of the biggest storylines of the league that continually gets pushed under the table because no one wants a young kid to have struggles like this.

At the same time it's well warrented for a discussion imo.

He's had it rough lately. Which is insane considering his November tear.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Has it been 15 minutes since the last "Laine sucks" thread already?

We should just throw him in the garbage along with this thread.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
At this point is deserved imo. Its one of the biggest storylines of the league that continually gets pushed under the table because no one wants a young kid to have struggles like this.

At the same time it's well warrented for a discussion imo.

He's had it rough lately. Which is insane considering his November tear.
Oh, he deserves a poop-on-Laine thread. No argument from me about that.

But one thread will do. Not one per day.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Look Laine is playing some horrendous hockey right now but I don’t get all the threads. We’re talking about s guy who scored 80 goals in his first two years.

He’s gonna come out of it eventually and if the jets management doesn’t think so... Barzal can use a sniper ;)

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
I’m curious to see what the reaction would be if this were Mitch Marner or Matthews. I feel like there would be very few “oh he’s only 20-21 years old he will figure it out” posts.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
My buddy scouted for Mckeen's for a few years and I remember him telling me about the scouting reports he read about Laine pre draft. Basically a lot said he was an extremely gifted goal scorer with amazing quick release but was a player with very low hockey IQ and positioning and if he didn't have such an amazing shot he wouldn't play in the NHL.

Sounds like your buddy is a pretty terrible scout then. He's got plenty of weaknesses to pick on, skating being the most obvious, but hockey IQ is not one of them.

I’m curious to see what the reaction would be if this were Mitch Marner or Matthews. I feel like there would be very few “oh he’s only 20-21 years old he will figure it out” posts.

There's a big difference between a hockey market where people are knowledgeable about the game and actually enjoy cheering for their team, vs a market that's been a toxic wasteland of negativity and media pressure for decades. I feel bad for Leafs players; the fans, not so much.

There's also the fact the Jets are a good team regardless of Laine. He's never been seen as the saviour and we don't have the media shoving that narrative down our throats 24/7.

Last time I was in the Toronto airport I saw a bestseller book that had the Leafs trio on the cover and proclaimed them the next dynasty. Not a magazine. A hardcover book FFS. Not even on the shelves with the other books. They had an entire table covered in them. It's a fycking nightmare

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Is this the biggest fall from grace we have seen in the last decade?

Patrick Laine is in his 3rd season and is 20 years old, who has played very very very well in his 2 seasons in the NHL and you are comparing him to players, who have been for 5+ years, for Pete Sales, stop.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Seems like this is just about trashing the kid, he's only 20... he'll be fine.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I enjoy these as much as the next Leafs fan (we planned a "crap on Laine" schedule at our last meeting) but the last one has been off the front page for what, a day? Way, way ahead of schedule.

Hey I totally get it. I love to hate just as much as the next person but I can't use the same rebuttals if there isn't a little lull in between.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well Petry is having literally his best season ever, he is a transformed player and he is one the reasons the Habs have had a good season so far. So being compared to a good D is not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad