Speculation: Kevin Dineen.... next head coach for Canes

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
If the changes are made at the end of the season like are being reported and Ron F moves into the GM spot. Look for them to let Kirk Muller go and bring in Kevin Dineen to be the next head coach.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I dunno. The Panthers won that division due to the OT point and the simultaneous struggling of the Lightning, Capitals and Hurricanes. I'd be wary about relying on that kind of success, especially given the lack of it he's had elsewhere.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I dunno. The Panthers won that division due to the OT point and the simultaneous struggling of the Lightning, Capitals and Hurricanes. I'd be wary about relying on that kind of success, especially given the lack of it he's had elsewhere.

Where has he had a lack of success other than Florida?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
they also had a -24 goal differential. it was obviously a fluke.

So what you are saying, is the team wasn't very good (-24 goal differential) and the coach still got them to the playoffs...vs. a team that isn't very good (Canes currently -23 goal differential) and the coach isn't getting them to the playoffs? :sarcasm:

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Not sold on Dineen yet. Great minor league coach, but unproven in NHL. Muller seemed to be more of a slam dunk around the league in terms of readiness to coach, and he's struggled. I'm still all for giving Muller one more year.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Not sold on Dineen yet. Great minor league coach, but unproven in NHL. Muller seemed to be more of a slam dunk around the league in terms of readiness to coach, and he's struggled. I'm still all for giving Muller one more year.

The mantra of Chicago Cubs fans:sarcasm:

But seriously, I'd give him the first couple months of next season. If the team gets off to another one of its patented "slow starts," Muller is gone.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Great minor league coach, but unproven in NHL. Muller seemed to be more of a slam dunk around the league in terms of readiness to coach, and he's struggled. I'm still all for giving Muller one more year.

I never heard anywhere that Muller seemed to be more of a slam dunk. Although he had assistant duties in MTL, he had less than 1 full season of head coaching experience in the AHL. He was well respected because of the type of player he was, but very unproven in terms of head coaching ability.

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
I have heard it in a couple places now. And I could see the ties to the team and possible new management. It makes sense.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I never heard anywhere that Muller seemed to be more of a slam dunk. Although he had assistant duties in MTL, he had less than 1 full season of head coaching experience in the AHL. He was well respected because of the type of player he was, but very unproven in terms of head coaching ability.

There are 2 coaches currently in the NHL that had less head coaching experience at any level. Adam Oates and Lindy Ruff.

Bylsma had slightly more, but most spent at least 3 years as the head coach of an AHL or junior team. Hell even Maurice had 2 full seasons as a head coach before the Whalers hired him.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

The mantra of Chicago Cubs fans:sarcasm:

But seriously, I'd give him the first couple months of next season. If the team gets off to another one of its patented "slow starts," Muller is gone.

I think it would be better to decide one way or the other at seasons end if Muller is going to return or not. if not, then the new staff would have a camp, etc..

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think it would be better to decide one way or the other at seasons end if Muller is going to return or not. if not, then the new staff would have a camp, etc..

At this point I'd feel better about having Muller on our 3rd line than returning as coach.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

Well it does seem like the midseason coaching changes always bring out the best in Eric. :sarcasm:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Doesn't matter who the GM is, Muller's fate will be decided this summer. They won't start next season with a lame-duck coach. I'm sure Muller will either get an extension or he'll get canned before camp.

And I can't see how Dineen is anything other than yet another nepotism hire, showing that the new regime will be pretty much the same as the previous one.

And FWIW, the knock I always heard on Muller is that he interviewed poorly, and that kept him from getting a shot sooner. Now that he's been around for a few years, I can definitely see it. I have no doubt the guy is bright, energetic and knows his stuff. I just don't see him as much of a communicator. He's not very good at putting thoughts into words.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I predict that Mullet is fired after the buzzer of the final game. They're going to want to at least in part build the new team with the rubber stamp of coach's approval. Ron has a lot of connections around the league and knows a lot of people. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I wonder if Scott Walker is on anybody's radar after his Guelph team's success this season. Who knows.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And FWIW, the knock I always heard on Muller is that he interviewed poorly, and that kept him from getting a shot sooner. Now that he's been around for a few years, I can definitely see it. I have no doubt the guy is bright, energetic and knows his stuff. I just don't see him as much of a communicator. He's not very good at putting thoughts into words.

Well, uh, y'know, I dunno if, uh, y'know, I would, y'know, say that's, uh, y'know, fair, y'know?

--hank

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My wife says he sounds like Spicoli during his post game radio interviews. The first question is usually a softball and the answer is almost always: "Well, yeah....."

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I'm OK with giving Muller the final year of his contract...or at least the first 3 months of it.

Muller may develop into a great NHL coach one day, but that day may take longer than the Cane have to spare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad