Speculation: Kevin Dineen.... next head coach for Canes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't find most of those names to be particularly awe inspiring, though there are a few that would I would at least be intrigued by. A decent portion of those guys aren't likely to get into head coaching again at this level. It's probably worth waiting to see who gets canned at the end of the season and if they might be a fit for our situation as well.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to another person without NHL head coaching experience, but if that were the case, preferably someone that has more experience as a head coach at some level than the half a season of experience Muller had as a head coach.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
We should hire team Finland's coach who I believe coaches for Jokerit.

He's rumored to be joining CBJ in some role after this year but we can convince him to go to Carolina since we have Ruut...

Nevermind

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I guess a European coach is just out of the question........

Sure, let's have a Pens/Ivan Hlinka situation where the team tunes out their coach because nobody but 1 or 2 guys on the team can understand him. Have there been any modern-era Euro coaches other than Suhonen (who lasted less than a year with Chicago) and Hlinka, now that I think about it?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I've been waiting for Jukka Jalonen to get a shot in the NHL for a while.

yep, but unfortunately the NHL hasn't really evolved enough yet. still recycling their dinosaurs. I think we will eventually see an influx of European coaching staffs though.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
yep, but unfortunately the NHL hasn't really evolved enough yet. still recycling their dinosaurs. I think we will eventually see an influx of European coaching staffs though.

Or, maybe, coaching styles would differ overseas in terms of favoring the big ice surface. And of course the language barrier. But don't let that get in the way of "the NHL is a joke, I can't believe I never made it/haven't gotten an interview yet, after all, I played Midget AAA."

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We should hire team Finland's coach who I believe coaches for Jokerit.

An aside: I happen to be in Helsinki on business this week, and discovered that Jokerit has joined the KHL for next year. Maybe that's not news to some, but I was floored.

And lemme tell you: the timing is *bad* for a Finnish team to be joining the KHL right now. Every conversation I've had this week has had some allusion to the Winter War.

--hank

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
An aside: I happen to be in Helsinki on business this week, and discovered that Jokerit has joined the KHL for next year. Maybe that's not news to some, but I was floored.

And lemme tell you: the timing is *bad* for a Finnish team to be joining the KHL right now. Every conversation I've had this week has had some allusion to the Winter War.

--hank

If you see any of Jokerit's goalies adopt this as a mask design you'll know something's up.

493px-Simo-hayha-3.jpg

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
There is definitely an old boys club in the NHL that seems to stifle creativity. In English soccer Arsene Wenger was really the first successful foreign manager, but now you look at the Premier League and 9 of the 20 managers are from outside the British Isles. I wonder when or if ever the NHL will have such an awakening.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010

--hank

The decision to sell half of the team to a group of Russians and join the KHL was made almost a year ago when the political situation with Russia wasn't nearly this tense.

Welcome to Helsinki!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There is definitely an old boys club in the NHL that seems to stifle creativity. In English soccer Arsene Wenger was really the first successful foreign manager, but now you look at the Premier League and 9 of the 20 managers are from outside the British Isles. I wonder when or if ever the NHL will have such an awakening.

Had Suhonen and Hlinka not made such a hash of things in 2000/2001, it likely would have happened more. In the meanwhile, though, I think it'll take a long time to recover from one of those guys coaching less than a year and the other being publicly criticized by as influential a figure as Mario all while North America continues to produce a flourishing coaching pipeline that supplies head coaches to places like Europe. It very well may happen, but I doubt a club like the Canes will be the first to make the move. If anybody, maybe Columbus given how well Kekäläinen has been for them as a GM thus far.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The decision to sell half of the team to a group of Russians and join the KHL was made almost a year ago when the political situation with Russia wasn't nearly this tense.

Yep. But boy, folks I've talked with here are seriously unhappy about the turn of events since.

Welcome to Helsinki!

Kiitos! Always enjoy my time here. It's nicer here than Raleigh right now, LOL. Time to head down to Kamppi.

--hank

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Darius Kasparaitis has been coaching in the Russian league for a few years now. He was always an in-your-face guy. I bet he would a the very least shake this team up ... make them change their undies now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad