Kevin Dineen and coaching staff fired!

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
About time. Was a huge fan of Dineen but we needed a change. I hope we finally try to play something else than dump & chase, collapsing in the d zone and actually play the body

Excited to see Screwey behind the bench too

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks guys. Loved him on the Pirates, and I never got the impression from watching the Panthers that this was a poorly coached team. I always blamed the sub-par talent.

But losing the mythical room is certainly something I can understand. If the players aren't listening, it's a lot easier to fire one man (or a few more in this case).

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
What specifically did you guys think Dineen did wrong? What would you have changed?

Losers give their best effort, but winners succeed.

Simply put Dineen couldn't get it done with the group we have. I honestly doubt ANYONE could. Our roster talent is one of the worst in the entire NHL. We have some bright spots, like any team but that is few and far between.

When the guys who are suppose to score goals and be play makers (Flash, Versteeg) aren't into the games most night it's hard to win. Depending on Huberdeau and Barkov to carry the rest of the load is unfair and will stunt their development.

Then relying on guys like Kopecky, Goc, Winchester, Upshall and Boyes to do something on the score sheet is wishful thinking.

We don't have 1 single game changer...

I don't want to get into addressing the defense (or lack there of)..

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
San Antonio Rampage Head Coach Peter Horachek has been named Interim Head Coach of the Florida Panthers.

Original Panthers Captain Brian Skrudland and Stanley Cup Winner John Madden will join the Panthers staff as assistant coaches.

Hope Skrudland and Madden can rub off some of their hard-nosed, full effort type attitude to the team... we sorely need it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it's a fair assesment to say Lavy is coming our way soon enough. They're probably just figuring out the paperwork.

Anyone have a feeling we may have a trade brewing with Philly being that Lavy knows the Philly roster really well.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
About time. Was a huge fan of Dineen but we needed a change. I hope we finally try to play something else than dump & chase, collapsing in the d zone and actually play the body

Excited to see Screwey behind the bench too

My biggest problem is the east/west hockey this team tries to play.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If Laviolette was in the equation, he'd have been named head coach immediately...why would there be any delay?

Horachek is likely in there for the rest of this season. If Laviolette happens to be still out of a job come next summer, then it could be a possibility I guess.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
I feel really bad for Dineen. For a guy with no NHL coaching experience, he brought this team back to the playoffs. Last season was a disaster of injuries.

Now, things are just pathetic on the ice. Obviously he has blame on his part, no question. I just hate hearing that he can't "motivate" the team. Really? These professional athletes can't motivate themselves to want to win? That drives me crazy, but oh well.

As much as coaching staff can change, there's no doubt in my mind that the players out there generally aren't good enough. The team itself is the much bigger issue. They can be made to play much better, yes, but I think on paper it's mediocre at best.

I hope the new staff makes a difference. Love Skrudland and Madden, I don't know what they'll bring but a winning culture would be nice. After hearing Sheppard's interview, you almost wonder if he shouldn't get involved in this team somehow.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
If Laviolette was in the equation, he'd have been named head coach immediately...why would there be any delay?

Horachek is likely in there for the rest of this season. If Laviolette happens to be still out of a job come next summer, then it could be a possibility I guess.

If Lavy is coming I think they want him to get a proper staff and prepare for the job. All of the new admin are interim.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Move is many games overdue.

No the onus is on the players to respond to this change. If they can't, then it's on them and people will have to be moved.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Contracts aren't drawn up immediately though, Horachek was named since he's under contract. I think it's a good chance Lavy is head coach here before season is over.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
I'm sad to see Dineen go, but I'm glad they fired the entire staff if they were going to do it.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Does Rob Tallas escape the ax? Goalies haven't been any better than the rest of the team.

We just hired Shields as a "consultant" I think Tallas is feeing some pressure too.

Never understood why we'd want guys who spent their careers as mediocre backup goalies to be goalie coaches. Wouldn't you want guys who had proven records of success teaching your young and/or struggling goalies?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I feel really bad for Dineen. For a guy with no NHL coaching experience, he brought this team back to the playoffs. Last season was a disaster of injuries.

Now, things are just pathetic on the ice. Obviously he has blame on his part, no question. I just hate hearing that he can't "motivate" the team. Really? These professional athletes can't motivate themselves to want to win? That drives me crazy, but oh well.

As much as coaching staff can change, there's no doubt in my mind that the players out there generally aren't good enough. The team itself is the much bigger issue. They can be made to play much better, yes, but I think on paper it's mediocre at best.

I hope the new staff makes a difference. Love Skrudland and Madden, I don't know what they'll bring but a winning culture would be nice. After hearing Sheppard's interview, you almost wonder if he shouldn't get involved in this team somehow.
Agree with PR here, IMO more of players failing to motivate themselves than the lack of Dineen doing it.

Dineen had his occasional brainfarts, but all in all, he was a decent coach. There's only so much you can do with that roster he was provided with.

Laviolette is all about offensive, which would work really well with this POS roster, now wouldn't it?

Glad Tallon stayed away from him.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Never understood why we'd want guys who spent their careers as mediocre backup goalies to be goalie coaches. Wouldn't you want guys who had proven records of success teaching your young and/or struggling goalies?

A lot of times great players don't make great coaches. The guys that have unreal natural abilities can't teach them. The backups had to count on positioning and sound mechanics usually make better coaches.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

It usually is the lesser guys who played that make the best coaches. Strange phenom in sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad