Kevin Bieksa is not an NHL caliber defenceman

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
I remember when Bieksa got traded from the Canucks I posted on here saying it was highway robbery. Massive overpayment with a 2nd + the contract he was awarded. The fans came out in huge numbers saying he was still a good player blah blah blah.

The guy has been really bad since 13-14.

Would be extremely frustrating to watch as a Ducks fan when you having promising D prospects waiting for a go.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
He's playing in the NHL right now, so yes he is an NHL defenceman.

Is every player being deployed in a top pairing role actually a top pairing defender? No. Just like every player being iced in the NHL isn't necessarily an NHL-caliber player. The role you're being deployed in and the role you actually possess the talent to occupy are 2 completely different things.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
All of us Sharks fans are not so quietly gleeful that the rumors about US acquiring him turned out to be false. (or at least DW came to his senses finally and killed the deal before it was finalized. Either one is fine. rofl)

Plus, given the rivalry between the Ducks and Sharks, we're all indulging in some amused schadenfreude that after we passed on him, the Ducks went out and got him. Oh, and gave him a 2 year contract extension before he ever played a game for them. :laugh: I think the only similar situation that gave Sharks fans more amused giggles was then the Avs signed Stuart (who was probably worse then than Bieksa is now) to an extension before he played a single game for them, too. I used to give Doug Wilson a lot of flack, but he's been top notch since that 2014-15 season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is every player being deployed in a top pairing role actually a top pairing defender? No. Just like every player being iced in the NHL isn't necessarily an NHL-caliber player. The role you're being deployed in and the role you actually possess the talent to occupy are 2 completely different things.

[mod]

By definition, yes every player being deployed on the top pairing is a top pairing defenseman. Kevin Bieksa plays defense for an NHL organization, so by definition he is an NHL defenseman. Also, the "role you actually possess" makes absolutely no sense.

If the thread title was "Kevin Bieksa is not worthy of being an NHL defenseman", or "Kevin Bieksa doesn't belong in the NHL" then your argument would hold water(other than that "the role you actually possess" bit. That would still be nonsense).

Last edited by a moderator:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
It's a big call because both are horrible but I reckon I take Girardi 10/10 times over current Bieksa.

No Way Dan Girardi BLEEDS scoring chances.
There is a video on youtube which I forget the name of. It just highlights how bad this guy is.

For the analytics crowd
248 NHL defenseman skated in the NHL last year, hear are some of the stats and Girardi's ranks, respectively from last year

Stat Rank
Corsi +/-: -186 248th
Raw CF%: 39.98% 248th
CF Rel%: -10.38 246th

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
just some i found off the top of my head

Corsi rel 2016-2017
Girardi -5.8
Kindl -6.8
Bieksa -8.0
Polak -8.2
Hunwick -8.3
Willie Mitchell -8.4
Josh Georges -10.4

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:laugh: does that mean you'd have to learn how to ride a tricycle too? If so that's pretty impressive.

There's no way Bieksa is the worst in the league though. Grapes likes him..... right? :sarcasm:

There's probably no difference between the two at this point, I'm just ****ing sick of Girardi :laugh:

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
There is a video on youtube which I forget the name of. It just highlights how bad this guy is.

For the analytics crowd
248 NHL defenseman skated in the NHL last year, hear are some of the stats and Girardi's ranks, respectively from last year

Stat Rank

Haha holy **** okay I am probably wrong...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

For the analytics crowd

Stat Rank

Is that real? :laugh: That's tough to beat. I knew Girardi was the whipping boy in New York, but I thought it was like Desharnais in Montreal where he's not a good player by any means, but gets more **** than he deserves. If these numbers are real then Girardi deserves all the **** he gets and then some. He's literally the worst. There is nobody worse. And he play almost every night, no?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Is that real? :laugh: That's tough to beat. I knew Girardi was the whipping boy in New York, but I thought it was like Desharnais in Montreal where he's not a good player by any means, but gets more **** than he deserves. If these numbers are real then Girardi deserves all the **** he gets and then some. He's literally the worst. There is nobody worse. And he play almost every night, no?

He improved this year.

But I legitimately think he isn't an NHL defenseman.

Mcdonough masks so many of his glaring deficiencies

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
just some i found off the top of my head

Corsi rel 2016-2017
Girardi -5.8
Kindl -6.8
Bieksa -8.0
Polak -8.2
Hunwick -8.3
Willie Mitchell -8.4
Josh Georges -10.4

It's bad, one could see it coming with Bieksa. Time for the AHL....they have d that need to play.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
As a canuck fan looking back im so happy we got a 2nd for him. The playoff series vs calgary he was an un mitigated disaster

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
He's playing in the NHL right now, so yes he is an NHL defenceman.

Uh..........no. That's ridiculous. Just because someone is dumb enough to put him in the lineup does not mean he is NHL calibre. We Canuck fans know this from experience. See one Luca Sbisa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad