Player Discussion Kevan Miller - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Needs to stop trying to skate with the puck. Every time he handles the puck in the offensive zone he takes too long to move it, circles around and eventually loses it in the boards. It makes his puck possession go up but it constantly creates mismatches going the other way. If he made the easy simple play and moved the puck faster he would be signifigantly better. There was a game last month, can't remember which one, but Cassidy screamed at him to move the puck (Cassidy went up in my books immediately). He will choke and cost us again in the playoffs. Not big game player. Mcquaid on the other hand has been a underrated dependable playoff performer. No Mcquaid and this doesn't happen...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was at Bertuccis with a group of my buds and I mentioned the Bruins likely are going to on a multi year deal say 3/$7.5.

You would think I said there aren't any rolls tonight

I posted it could happen and it didn't go over well and may term was a year short

However, even as a fan of Miller I had second row seat for that LA Kings 9-2 drubbing in Boston when Miller was toasted more then marshmallows at a Girl Scout camping trip.

His game has really taken off and exceeded what I thought was his upside

Wearing the 'A' for one of the original 6 teams and a legitimate Stanley Cup contender is quite an honor

I've always said here Kevan Miller would have been perfect in every way for the Don Cherry teams

A Brad Park-Kevan Miller would have been fun to watch

Miller would probably have been an easy 100 PIM guy

Reactions: Chief Nine

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Miller brings 110% every game, he has a big heart, he is strong and hits hard. Unfortunately I don't think he has another level to give. He has tunnel vision when he has the puck on his stick and he is terrible at moving it. He is the one guy I consistently have to stop myself from yelling at. Its most frustrating when he gets on the ice with the Bergy line because if he carries the puck into the zone he does a slow fly around with it, the other team knows he won't be able to generate any offense so they just shadow him and clog the passing lanes as he carries the puck until he gets bottled up and then they clear the zone. You can see that they would much rather have him carry the puck and will let him do so rather than have to deal with a Pastrnak or a Marchand with the puck on their stick. While the Bruins have moved away from the D to D pass Miller still should be making the fastest play he is capable of and get the puck to Grizz. He gets by in the regular season due to extreme effort, work and heart but when everyone steps it up in the playoffs he gets left behind.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
OK, this may becoming repetitive to the point of annoying but jebus, give this guy a chance to play wing, could be such a power forward!

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Needs to stop trying to skate with the puck. Every time he handles the puck in the offensive zone he takes too long to move it, circles around and eventually loses it in the boards. It makes his puck possession go up but it constantly creates mismatches going the other way. If he made the easy simple play and moved the puck faster he would be signifigantly better. There was a game last month, can't remember which one, but Cassidy screamed at him to move the puck (Cassidy went up in my books immediately). He will choke and cost us again in the playoffs. Not big game player. Mcquaid on the other hand has been a underrated dependable playoff performer. No Mcquaid and this doesn't happen...

Push

You should have put :sarcasm: at the end

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can we all agree that he is now a more than adequate replacement for #55.

I'd argue he's better than Boychuk, now.

When they traded Boychuk, I said they had a Boychuk replacement (minus the cannon of a shot) in-house in Kevan Miller.

Now the truth is, that season (14-15), and the season after, he wasn't close to a Boychuk replacement. Not even close.

But last year and this season, he's basically what Boychuk was when he was here, minus the cannon still. He's a better skater than Boychuk ever was, and is a better player right now than Boychuk (who is beginning to regress somewhat).

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
When they traded Boychuk, I said they had a Boychuk replacement (minus the cannon of a shot) in-house in Kevan Miller.

Now the truth is, that season (14-15), and the season after, he wasn't close to a Boychuk replacement. Not even close.

But last year and this season, he's basically what Boychuk was when he was here, minus the cannon still. He's a better skater than Boychuk ever was, and is a better player right now than Boychuk (who is beginning to regress somewhat).

Who would you say is/was a better hitter?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who would you say is/was a better hitter?

In the corners and along the wall, almost a toss-up, probably Miller, just because he's a bit meaner and more aggressive.

But Johnny got him beat in the splashy open-ice hits catching guys with their head down.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Miller brings 110% every game, he has a big heart, he is strong and hits hard. Unfortunately I don't think he has another level to give. He has tunnel vision when he has the puck on his stick and he is terrible at moving it. He is the one guy I consistently have to stop myself from yelling at. Its most frustrating when he gets on the ice with the Bergy line because if he carries the puck into the zone he does a slow fly around with it, the other team knows he won't be able to generate any offense so they just shadow him and clog the passing lanes as he carries the puck until he gets bottled up and then they clear the zone. You can see that they would much rather have him carry the puck and will let him do so rather than have to deal with a Pastrnak or a Marchand with the puck on their stick. While the Bruins have moved away from the D to D pass Miller still should be making the fastest play he is capable of and get the puck to Grizz. He gets by in the regular season due to extreme effort, work and heart but when everyone steps it up in the playoffs he gets left behind.

This is a joke right?

Are you watching Bruins tapes from 2015 still?

Guy has had probably the biggest improvement of anyone on the team this year? Sounds like you have some implicit bias from years past and can't see through it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This is a joke right?

Guy has had probably the biggest improvement of anyone on the team this year? Sounds like you have some implicit bias from years past and can't see through it.

I agree. The post you’re referring to is exactly what I thought would be a description of his career, but he’s improved so much, in all areas over the past couple of years.

This is a guy who I was way off base about.

He’s so much better than I expected him to be.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
He's filled in for Carlo marvelously.

Dare I say, he's playing better than Carlo was during the regular season.

Not trying to slight Carlo who has a long career ahead of him, but Miller's ability to take his physicality to a new level in the playoffs has made this team so much more nasty to play against in the corners.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
He's filled in for Carlo marvelously.

Dare I say, he's playing better than Carlo was during the regular season.

Not trying to slight Carlo who has a long career ahead of him, but Miller's ability to take his physicality to a new level in the playoffs has made this team so much more nasty to play against in the corners.

His hit on Komarov last night was probably my second favorite play. Pasta’s last goal being #1.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
kevan miller is a really good defenseman. the work he put in to improve his skating has vaulted him from an
adequate and tough bottom pairing defender to a legit top 4 guy that is pretty well-rounded. he's never gonna
pile up the points, but he can skate it, move it, defend, enforce, etc.....to improve this much at his age is pretty
surprising, but i'm a fan and hope he keeps it up for a few more years.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
This is a joke right?

Really? You didn't see him miss the puck and let Marner through on the Marleau goal? Same thing that always happens to him... As for all this skating talk, his skating is exactly the same as it was before. His skating isin't his biggest problem though. He is tremendously slow at moving the puck. I counted three times last night where he made a tape to tape pass from his own zone to an opposing players stick. These things happened, its not a bias, re-watch the game and take note of everytime he has the puck especially when he carries the puck (nothing good comes from him carrying the puck into the opposing zone). People like him because he hits and fights but at the end of the day the team has succeeded despite him and he will cost us again.

As for the Boychuk comparisons, Johnny is a faster and more decisive player than Miller. Boychuk played 1st and 2nd pairing here and is a 1st pairing defense man with the Islanders. Miller is all over the depth chart and doesn't play 1st pairing unless there is a slew of injuries. Miller will never make a pass like this in his life:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Really? You didn't see him miss the puck and let Marner through on the Marleau goal? Same thing that always happens to him... As for all this skating talk, his skating is exactly the same as it was before. His skating isin't his biggest problem though. He is tremendously slow at moving the puck. I counted three times last night where he made a tape to tape pass from his own zone to an opposing players stick. These things happened, its not a bias, re-watch the game and take note of everytime he has the puck especially when he carries the puck (nothing good comes from him carrying the puck into the opposing zone). People like him because he hits and fights but at the end of the day the team has succeeded despite him and he will cost us again.

As for the Boychuk comparisons, Johnny is a faster and more decisive player than Miller. Boychuk played 1st and 2nd pairing here and is a 1st pairing defense man with the Islanders. Miller is all over the depth chart and doesn't play 1st pairing unless there is a slew of injuries. Miller will never make a pass like this in his life:

Agree there is no comparison between Miller and Boychuk,I like Miller when he is punishing opposing forwards,he some tries to do to much offensively.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
In the corners and along the wall, almost a toss-up, probably Miller, just because he's a bit meaner and more aggressive.

But Johnny got him beat in the splashy open-ice hits catching guys with their head down.
And his blast...

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
LOL. Miller is a +72 over the last 5 seasons. He wouldn't be anywhere near that if he sucked as bad and turned the puck over in his own zone constantly like you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad