Proposal: Kessel to Dallas

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i don't like that package for Kessel. might make more sense for Dallas to target Brassard instead anyway.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Perhaps a three-way deal with DAL, CAR, and PIT?

DAL gets: Phil Kessel

PIT gets: Jeff Skinner, Jason Dickinson/Brett Ritchie, Jason Robertson, DAL 2nd

CAR gets: Roope Hintz, PIT 1st, DAL 1st

I think more needs to come from Dallas, but I’m not sure how to make that happen.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Kessel's 6.8M contract is grossly underrated this summer. Take a look-see 'round the NHL lately and see how much offense 7M buys you anymore.

(Which is why I'm not in a hurry to trade him) Though this is one of those deals that is at least pretty sensible...soo good on yuh, Cookies.

Two things I think are worth pointing out are 1. Even if you conservatively curve Kessel's point production to 75 points sustained for the length of his contract, 6.8M is a steal..and 2. the Central Division looks to be the most competitive (not the best, but tightest) division this coming year so regardless of Dallas' interest there will be a bit of catch-up and shoring-up happening in the next few months.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I think more needs to come from Dallas, but I’m not sure how to make that happen.

Jeff Skinner for Roope Hintz and two firsts? I don't think he'd net that kind of return.

Also, not sure if I'd be on board with Kessel costing the Stars Hintz, one of Dickinson/Ritchie, Robertson, and our first two picks next draft.

That's tough to swallow. :laugh:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Ehhh

How about Faksa, Nichuskin and conditional 1st for Kessel and Brassard

Condition is if Kessel hits 80 points

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think thats bad for Pittsburgh. They are still very much a contender ans trading away an elite 90+ point player for futures isn't gonna help them get better.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, I appreciate the effort, but the Pens get reamed. We get an impending UFA Skinner and a whole lot of mehgic beans for Kessel on a bargain deal.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jeff Skinner for Roope Hintz and two firsts? I don't think he'd net that kind of return.

Also, not sure if I'd be on board with Kessel costing the Stars Hintz, one of Dickinson/Ritchie, Robertson, and our first two picks next draft.

That's tough to swallow. :laugh:

Yeah, I appreciate the effort, but the Pens get reamed. We get an impending UFA Skinner and a whole lot of mehgic beans for Kessel on a bargain deal.

The more I tried the worse it got :laugh:

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
I would be hesitant to do that deal with Faksa, but I think that is close to a fair deal.

How about Janmark, Hintz and Dallas 1st for Kessel? Janmark is the type of player that would probably excel playing with either Crosby or Malkin (he is already fun to watch in my opinion). Faksa I think is too important for the Stars right now but I do think that is fair value.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So bad for pit. Giving up a ppg winger under 7m per year for a 4c (on Pitt), dime a dozen wing prospect and protected first.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Dallas simply doesn't have the center depth to move Faksa. We need depth scoring but to move Faksa in that trade just creates a massive hole at 3c and PK1

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If the Stars needed someone for 3C and PK1, the Pens could add Sheahan but the Stars would have to add Janmark.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If the Stars needed someone for 3C and PK1, the Pens could add Sheahan but the Stars would have to add Janmark.

Hurts the Stars more than helps us at that point. We need left wingers. Kessel would hopefully be our 4th option after Pacioretty, Skinner and Panarin. I'd prefer Kessel over Pacioretty and Skinner but not at that price when we need a 2nd line LW

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hurts the Stars more than helps us at that point. We need left wingers. Kessel would hopefully be our 4th option after Pacioretty, Skinner and Panarin. I'd prefer Kessel over Pacioretty and Skinner but not at that price when we need a 2nd line LW

Alrighty.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
What about Kessel and Brassard for Faksa, Nichuskin, and conditional 1st

Condition is Kessel hits 80 points or Stars make conference final

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
That's not enough to get Kessel and Brassard. I don't know if it's even enough to get Kessel. It's pretty close though.
I disagree. Faksa and 1st is great value for Kessel. Nichuskin and Brassard are kinda a wash, Brass is older but arguably better and plays more important position.

Pretty even in my eyes.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
What about Kessel and Brassard for Faksa, Nichuskin, and conditional 1st

Condition is Kessel hits 80 points or Stars make conference final

So let’s break it down like this. Brassard value is roughly Nuke+1st right. So then the Pens are trading Kessel for Faksa? Not a good return.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I disagree. Faksa and 1st is great value for Kessel.

It's most definitely not great value. Even my post where we get a decent prospect back in addition to Faksa and a 1st isn't great value for a player with Kessel's talent, resume, and price tag. It's passable value that enables us to make another deal that makes us a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad