Proposal: Kessel to Dallas

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
As a Stars fan I don't mind the deal and Kessel would be great - but that leaves Dallas in pretty bad shape at Centre which is already a position of organizational weakness.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If the Stars miss out on Karlsson I assume they'd target Panarin and then Pacioretty to improve out LW side, but I wouldn't mind Kessel at all. Great experience and we could still acquire Pacioretty for pretty cheap. Not a fan of giving up Faksa in this deal though, our center depth is bad enough.

If we could somehow roll out a lineup of:

Benn-Seguin-Kessel
Pacioretty-Spezza-Radulov
Janmark-Faksa-Nichushkin
Comeau-Hanzal-Pitlick

I'd be thrilled. Fine with giving up Hintz + a 1st, what else would it take other than Faksa though? Another prospect or pick? Hard to judge Kessel's value based on the mixed opinions I see on here, but I've always liked his game

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I think the value is pretty close but i don't think the fit makes sense. If i am pitts i do this deal but if i am dallas i won't. Even small adds from Pitts wouldn't change why i wouldn't as a dallas gm. Large adds skews the value so pitt wouldn't do it so i really just can't see a match here.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
If the Stars miss out on Karlsson I assume they'd target Panarin and then Pacioretty to improve out LW side, but I wouldn't mind Kessel at all. Great experience and we could still acquire Pacioretty for pretty cheap. Not a fan of giving up Faksa in this deal though, our center depth is bad enough.

Benn-Seguin-Kessel
Janmark-Faksa-Nichushkin
Comeau-Hanzal-Pitlick

I'd be thrilled. Fine with giving up Hintz + a 1st, what else would it take other than Faksa though? Another prospect or pick? Hard to judge Kessel's value based on the mixed opinions I see on here, but I've always liked his game

I think this kinda nails what i was trying to say. The value isn't so much an issues as the hole that is created to fix another hole. With a couple options bound to hit Free Agency i would rather take that gamble that make a this trade.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What a joke this post is. You're right this isn't 23 year old Kessel this is Kessel who just put up 92 points and you don't want to trade a 3rd line center, a defenseman whose looking like a 5 or 6 at this point and mid 1st rounder mmmmkay.

Hintz isn't a defenseman, hes arguably our top forward prospect.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What a joke this post is. You're right this isn't 23 year old Kessel this is Kessel who just put up 92 points and you don't want to trade a 3rd line center, a defenseman whose looking like a 5 or 6 at this point and mid 1st rounder mmmmkay.

That's Honka, not Hintz. ;)

Roope Hintz looks like he'll top out as a solid 'tweener, middle-six winger.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think Kessel will score 92 points on this Dallas team. Saying he's worth the same on this team... yeah we don't exactly have Crosby, Malkin, and kids who can ride along on their 'coattails' (with favorable matchups)...
Totally outside view here, but Phill Kessel scored 80 and 82 points with the Leafs on a line centered by Tyler friggin, Bozak....let him flank Seguin and he will produce.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Benn-Seguin-Kessel
Janmark-Faksa-Nichushkin
Comeau-Hanzal-Pitlick

I'd be thrilled. Fine with giving up Hintz + a 1st, what else would it take other than Faksa though? Another prospect or pick?

When you're getting an elite player like Kessel on a sweetheart contract, you don't get to put a 33 point player on the protected list. Take a step back and think about how absurd that idea is. He's the most valuable part of the deal from the Stars end and sets the Pens up with a 3C on a good deal after this year.

It's a very modest ask relative to what's going back, and D.O.A. without him. Which is fine. No reason for a contender to move a top 10 scorer on a good deal if the only thing coming back is a collection of solid but unspectacular futures.

Hard to judge Kessel's value based on the mixed opinions I see on here, but I've always liked his game

Everybody has an opinion. There's no legit argument against Kessel as an elite performer using actual facts.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
When you're getting an elite player like Kessel on a sweetheart contract, you don't get to put a 33 point player on the protected list. Take a step back and think about how absurd that idea is. He's the most valuable part of the deal from the Stars end and sets the Pens up with a 3C on a good deal after this year.

It's a very modest ask relative to what's going back, and D.O.A. without him. Which is fine. No reason for a contender to move a top 10 scorer on a good deal if the only thing coming back is a collection of solid but unspectacular futures.

Everybody has an opinion. There's no legit argument against Kessel as an elite performer using actual facts.

Tell that to the hockey writers in Toronto. :laugh:

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Should I but in a bet for the Stars to win the cup next before they make a big splash via trade. Probably be getting the best odds right now.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Should I but in a bet for the Stars to win the cup next before they make a big splash via trade. Probably be getting the best odds right now.

Dallas has made a few big splashes in recent years, with shiny trades and signings, but Stars fans have learned to temper their expectations over time as it's fallen apart all too quickly.

Even if they land Karlsson, I'd be happy but at the same time I'd be bracing for how exactly they'd manage to **** it all up next season. :laugh:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I love Faksa but it's the same thing as Heiskanen for Karlsson - you have to give to get. He's absolutely available for a player of Kessel's caliber, especially with Kessel's great contract.

I can't imagine why Pittsburgh would want to trade Kessel in the first place, though. I'm not even inclined to come up with an offer until that's explained.

Reactions: Freedom and AK87

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I love Faksa but it's the same thing as Heiskanen for Karlsson - you have to give to get. He's absolutely available for a player of Kessel's caliber, especially with Kessel's great contract.

I can't imagine why Pittsburgh would want to trade Kessel in the first place, though. I'm not even inclined to come up with an offer until that's explained.

We have a lot of RWs on the team because Sprong is no longer waiver exempt. The idea is to balance out the wings, acquire Skinner for a couple 1sts (or thereabouts), and sign him to a long-term deal for something like Kessel's cap hit.

Skinner helps us more at ES, and one of Sprong, Skinner or Guentzel can make up some of what Kessel brought on the PP. We get younger and better 5-on-5.

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
*If Dallas misses out on Karlsson*

To Dallas: Kessel
To Pittsburgh: Faksa, Hintz, 2019 1st (top 10 protected)

Dallas gets an elite winger signed long-term to a great deal to help their 19th ranked PP and scoring outside of Benn/Seguin/Radu, while the Pens bolster their system with good young players and use the 1st to help them land Skinner.

For me, this doesn't come close to getting Kessel, He is one of the top 5 offensive players in the league over the last 5 years and he is on a team friendly deal. The type of deal we would need to let go of Kessel would be a Top 6 winger and a Top 4 Defenseman and possibly a pick or prospect.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Would like Kessel, but would also like to keep Faksa. Something around Honka, Shore/Ritchie, and a pick would be more appealing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For me, this doesn't come close to getting Kessel, He is one of the top 5 offensive players in the league over the last 5 years and he is on a team friendly deal. The type of deal we would need to let go of Kessel would be a Top 6 winger and a Top 4 Defenseman and possibly a pick or prospect.

You're not seeing the big picture here. We move Kessel for depth and youth, and flip the 1st with our 1st for Skinner. So we do get a top 6 winger...a great one.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Stars fans throw tantrums when Faksa is included in deals. He's overrated by our fanbase.

Nah, it's just who is gonna play centre on the team?

Tyler Seguin
Jason Spezza's corpse
???
Martin "They call me Mr Glass" Hanzal when/if he every plays again

Faksa isn't the be-all-end-all but that would be horrendous. Better (aka most) teams would clown pound a team with those centres. And it will be worse in 2019 when Spezza's gone. I'd sooner give up a first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad