Kessel the gift that keeps on giving

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
People have short memories around here.

Kessel came into the league with a "Rep"

He was widely disliked by his collegiate teammates and was considered a selfish and negative presence.

His contract problem and subsequent trade from the Bruins confirmed that he was not considered "Good in the room"

Starting in TO, he maintained his status as a unlikable character, it was PLANNED that he be picked last in the all-star game as he was not well thought of around the league. When the final pick happened players are seen with their cell cameras ready and having a good laugh at his expense.

I think he faced so much adversity in TO that he had to get humble, I think then his reputation may have improved

So funny when I see these "Such and such is such a great human being" threads when a PR company has started working on the player's image. It's like people don't remember anything more than the last thing they heard on TV,

I remember when Alex Mogilny was with the Leafs, they started working on his public image, all of a sudden everyone is talking about what a "character" guy Mogilny was when for years Mogilney had been a complete twit to everyone (I was in Vancouver in the 90's I know all about what a great guy Mogilny was)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

He was widely disliked by his collegiate teammates and was considered a selfish and negative presence.

His contract problem and subsequent trade from the Bruins confirmed that he was not considered "Good in the room"

Starting in TO, he maintained his status as a unlikable character, it was PLANNED that he be picked last in the all-star game as he was not well thought of around the league. When the final pick happened players are seen with their cell cameras ready and having a good laugh at his expense.

I think he faced so much adversity in TO that he had to get humble, I think then his reputation may have improved

So funny when I see these "Such and such is such a great human being" threads when a PR company has started working on the player's image. It's like people don't remember anything more than the last thing they heard on TV,

I remember when Alex Mogilny was with the Leafs, they started working on his public image, all of a sudden everyone is talking about what a "character" guy Mogilny was when for years Mogilney had been a complete twit to everyone (I was in Vancouver in the 90's I know all about what a great guy Mogilny was)

Don't be jelly

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Don't be jelly

Of Phil?

Just reporting the news my friend, not making it, interpret the facts how you see fit.

(In fact, I deserve a lot of credit, you pitched me a Kessel "Softball" there, I could have knocked it out of the park, but was content with a single after one strike and one ball. I deserve a medal! Brandon Sutter would be pround)

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game
he was always awkward with the media. but it was well known he was a favourite in the locker room. he stood up to the media in toronto on several occasions to defend teammates (even Phaneuf. you gotta dig deep to do that).

I have nothing but respect for kessel and am happy he got the success he deserved.

Feb 24, 2017
Like I said, I didn't mean to offend.
Kessel just got more crap from everyone, he was being called lazy, overweight while pointing to the articles about him and hot dogs to justify it. The trade unfairly made him a target by the media, and fans everywhere.

As for him being bullied on this site, it was because he was a leaf. And I honestly mean no harm. But the leafs were bad and it's fun poking at the team who is complete shyte, I had to read on here for a decade how much my team was crap too.

I've seen mtl fans get roasted for that horrible trade, same with the forsberg trade, but the circumstances surrounding kessel were on a much more grander scale.
Nobody piles on shit teams here just because.

You see a lot of Coyote bashing?

The Leaf stuff is because they’re the most represented fan base on here, and with that comes a larger percentage and volume of obnoxious posters.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nobody piles on **** teams here just because.

The Leaf stuff is because they’re the most represented fan base on here, and with that comes a larger percentage and volume of obnoxious posters.
I agree, just never thought I'd have to type that out.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
C4ofX6aVMAE_64g.jpg

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Please, this is all media driven BS about Kessel and certain people such as yourself eat it all up.

Kessel has always been shy and the media and some others have mistaken that for aloofness.

His JR coach on his shyness at 16:

His former junior coach remembers Kessel as an implausibly shy 16-year-old who dominated on the ice yet was always at a loss for words when asked to talk about his play.

In that respect, not much has changed. Eight years later, Kessel is the on-ice face of the Maple Leafs and has become something of a silent star in Toronto.

He tends to avoid attention, often escaping the dressing room before the media horde arrives. Kessel usually appears when summoned but the ensuing process can be painful, as he typically offers a few short sentences while slowly inching away from the cameras.

"I would imagine he's uncomfortable," said Quinn, who coached Kessel with the U.S. development program, the world juniors and world championship.

"Hands in his pocket, looking down at his feet."

"The last thing he wants to do is talk to 40 people standing around with microphones. He'd rather go out and play video games and eat Skittles."

His teammate Colby Armstrong on Kessel a few months before the AS game when they "tried to teach him a lesson for being a jerk face"

He loves golf and fishing, he’s quiet, a simple guy, T-shirt and sweatpants. He’s really a softie, good natured, he likes everyone, never has a bad thing to say about anyone. He’d do anything for anyone on the team, never judges anyone . . . a super guy,” Armstrong says.

His siblings and teammates always rave about his kindness and willingness to help out anyone, and this has been going on since he was young, not some sudden change because he was "humbled".

Just because someone is shy, it doesn't make them an asshole. It's funny how he has this "rep" then when people get to know him, he's beloved by those people.

Sadly, some people can't figure that out.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nobody piles on **** teams here just because.

You're laying it all on the fans on here, but let's be honest, the Leaf bashing comes from you guys being annoyed at all the media Leaf coverage. You state this constantly in other threads. Now you are trying to lay it all on "Obnoxious" Leaf fans and leaving out how much you hate the media coverage.

There are fans here who jump on anything Leaf related to crap on the team. The Kessel trade was your Stanley cup. Fans LOVED how that trade turned out.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
You're laying it all on the fans on here, but let's be honest, the Leaf bashing comes from you guys being annoyed at all the media Leaf coverage. You state this constantly in other threads. Now you are trying to lay it all on "Obnoxious" Leaf fans and leaving out how much you hate the media coverage.

There are fans here who jump on anything Leaf related to crap on the team. The Kessel trade was your Stanley cup. Fans LOVED how that trade turned out.
The fact that he helped Pittsburgh prevent two teams win their first cup before Vancouver does, sure. But that’s the extent of the joy I have taken from the Kessel trade.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Phil might be a bit of a Chunk, but you can't deny he's got a thick skin and a good sense of humour. lol. :D

Eh, I think he has some sort of mild form of social disease and has no idea that half the time he is being made fun of.

I root for him because of this belief.

Last edited:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Reaves honors Kessel with incredible T-shirt during postgame interview

"Phil the Thriller," Reaves told Sportsnet's Scott Oake to explain his choice of attire after the Penguins' 4-2 loss to the Vancouver Canucks.

Ryan Reaves wore a thrilling shirt for his postgame interview with Sportsnet on Saturday.
Reaves paid homage to his friend and Pittsburgh Penguins teammate Phil Kessel by wearing an incredible T-shirt with Kessel's face over Michael Jackson's body, mimicking the cover of Jackson's 1982 album "Thriller" during his "After Hours" interview.

cut.jpg

Reactions: tacogeoff and Diddy

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Reaves honors Kessel with incredible T-shirt during postgame interview

cut.jpg

Never forget all the write in votes Kessel received to become the President of USA

letangkessel.jpg

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
He had the Conn Smythe and then Crosby took it away in the final 2 games. It was a legit win.

Only Crosby can have 2 great games and get a trophy. Hes an all time great in stealing awards he dont deserve. (Yes, he had some timely goals before that, but his play was bad)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad