Kessel the gift that keeps on giving

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I liked him personally but the media like the T.dotSN Sixnet and the score media outlets were biased against him.... heck even the fans turned on him, he has been set free from that shark bowl and has become one of the most famous hot dog eaters. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I liked him personally but the media like the T.dotSN Sixnet and the score media outlets were biased against him.... heck even the fans turned on him, he has been set free from that shark bowl and has become one of the most famous hot dog eaters. May that jap dude former hot dog eating champion rip
If any Leafs fans turned on him it was because Kessel is the one who came up with "Salute Gate" because he told Dion Phaneuf for the team to not raise their sticks after they won a game, even though the previous game they lost 9-2 to Nashville and got booed off the ice.

As for the trade if non Leafs fans got on Kessel and bashed him because of it and today no one does it anymore since he's now in Pittsburgh, doesn't it make others who took part look bad? If any trades was worse how about Scott Gomez for Ryan McDonagh or Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg. If Boston never drafted Tyler Seguin and instead they selected Dylan McIlrath (Who went 10th overall in 2010) with the Leafs 1st round pick because it was not 2nd overall does anyone care?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If any Leafs fans turned on him it was because Kessel is the one who came up with "Salute Gate" because he told Dion Phaneuf for the team to not raise their sticks after they won a game, even though the previous game they lost 9-2 to Nashville and got booed off the ice.

As for the trade if non Leafs fans got on Kessel and bashed him because of it and today no one does it anymore since he's now in Pittsburgh, doesn't it make others who took part look bad? If any trades was worse how about Scott Gomez for Ryan McDonagh or Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg. If Boston never drafted Tyler Seguin and instead they selected Dylan McIlrath (Who went 10th overall in 2010) with the Leafs 1st round pick because it was not 2nd overall does anyone care?
Like I said, I didn't mean to offend.
Kessel just got more crap from everyone, he was being called lazy, overweight while pointing to the articles about him and hot dogs to justify it. The trade unfairly made him a target by the media, and fans everywhere.

As for him being bullied on this site, it was because he was a leaf. And I honestly mean no harm. But the leafs were bad and it's fun poking at the team who is complete shyte, I had to read on here for a decade how much my team was crap too.

I've seen mtl fans get roasted for that horrible trade, same with the forsberg trade, but the circumstances surrounding kessel were on a much more grander scale.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I am always amazed by the fact that that guy is a world class hockey player. Just doesn't look like an athlete at all. :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Maybe not tanking for 5 years after giving up lottery picks instead of winning back to back cups has something to do with it.

Weber is great guy but Habs being trash is going to get him a ton of ****.
But what about all the other fans?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I liked him personally but the media like the T.dotSN Sixnet and the score media outlets were biased against him.... heck even the fans turned on him, he has been set free from that shark bowl and has become one of the most famous hot dog eaters. May that jap dude former hot dog eating champion rip
Yeah but I thought the media loved and overrated every Leaf?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People say lots of things, maybe he's a 60-70 point player. Maybe he's elite point/game player. But I think his hate is being overstated - see all star getting picked last. That endeared him to lot of people.
WOW! You completely remember that differently than I do. People on here went crazy with joy. It was the played like the biggest deal ever. There was 0 sympathy for Phil. People even loved Ovi taking him photo and that was a really idiotic thing he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I didn't know a lot about Reaves before (admittedly I don't have a lot of time to follow the west as much) but with every passing day I understand why Blues fans were so sad to see Reaves go. He's a fan favorite wherever he goes and I've really enjoyed him and his antics with Kessel.

tumblr_oyjaxfNZk71wo3z3to1_400.jpg

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ya there has to be normal Leafs fans out there that have to watch this display.

You have to understand-When you see such laughable flip-flopping, you naturally want to comment on it. All of you never held back on your Phil hate.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Aside from taking a fun thread and making it all about Kessel with the Leafs, you are way off base from my experience on HF.

Most non-Leafs fans hated on Kessel to the degree that they thought he wasn't a 1A guy, that he is better in a supporting role than as your team's superstar. All of those people have been proven right, btw.

I don't recall seeing any kind of intense hatred for Phil Kessel as a Leaf. And I would have to see a link to an Evander Kane > Kessel poll or something to believe that is anything other than a figment of your imagination.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Aside from taking a fun thread and making it all about Kessel with the Leafs, you are way off base from my experience on HF.

Most non-Leafs fans hated on Kessel to the degree that they thought he wasn't a 1A guy, that he is better in a supporting role than as your team's superstar. All of those people have been proven right, btw.

I don't recall seeing any kind of intense hatred for Phil Kessel as a Leaf. And I would have to see a link to an Evander Kane > Kessel poll or something to believe that is anything other than a figment of your imagination.

Come on. He was the most hated, mocked player on here for years.
And yes, people were right about not being able to build around him as your star, but most Leaf fans agreed. But there was plenty non-Leaf fans were wrong about. No one thought he could do what he does in the playoffs. The garbage about him being the most one-dimensional and streaky player was oure crap. The stats told us he was actually a very consistant offensive star.
Because of the switch-over, we can't bump up old threads, but last time this discussion came up, plenty were bumped up to show the strange hate people had for him in the past.
There's been an embarrassing flip-flop on Kessel in here and people can't even admit it. And it's natural it would be brought up given what a topic it was on here for years.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Come on. He was the most hated, mocked player on here for years.
And yes, people were right about not being able to build around him as your star, but most Leaf fans agreed. But there was plenty non-Leaf fans were wrong about. No one thought he could do what he does in the playoffs. The garbage about him being the most one-dimensional and streaky player was oure crap. The stats told us he was actually a very consistant offensive star.
Because of the switch-over, we can't bump up old threads, but last time this discussion came up, plenty were bumped up to show the strange hate people had for him in the past.
There's been an embarrassing flip-flop on Kessel in here and people can't even admit it.

Maybe it's because I never had any hate for the guy, but I remember things differently.

I agree he never got a fair shake in Toronto. I actually felt bad how he was treated by the media. So pardon me if I'm just happy for the guy after he instantly helped his new team win 2 Cups and look like he's having fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad