News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This is ridiculous. You now make it sound like TOR planned all along to move PIT's 1st for Andersen.

Here is the trade:

To PIT: Kessel (1.25 million retained) Biggs, Erixon, a 2nd in 2016.

To TOR: Kapanen, Spaling, Harrington, a 1st and a 3rd in 2016.

How can you say that TOR won that trade?!

We didn't, we lost that trade. Now the guy who made the trade is calling the shots. A bit scary.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We didn't, we lost that trade. Now the guy who made the trade is calling the shots. A bit scary.
The guy who built the Marlies is running the show. Best young GM candidate around.
But by all means, let's go with the 55 year-old weho's never been offered squat while the 32 year-old has had 2 Gm offers already.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW, as a person who had to hear for years that Brandon Saad was a part of the 2009 Kessel trade I really hate hearing how Andersen cannot be connected to the 2015 Kessel trade.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The guy who built the Marlies is running the show. Best young GM candidate around.
But by all means, let's go with the 55 year-old weho's never been offered squat while the 32 year-old has had 2 Gm offers already.

I think Dubas will do well but the one area I worry about is trading, that’s all about personal relations. Dubas will have a harder time because of his age.

That doesn’t mean I think we should have hired someone else but it’s a potential problem.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
BTW, as a person who had to hear for years that Brandon Saad was a part of the 2009 Kessel trade I really hate hearing how Andersen cannot be connected to the 2015 Kessel trade.
Essentially the leafs got Andersen in the kessel deal but they actually got a 1st round pick. That 1st had a different value than Andersen when the trade was made (2015)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No. The team acquiring kessel would probably have to give up much more than just a late 1st, a good prospect, a depth forward and a meh defense prospect.
Wanna bet? This guy has a really bad reputation. He has burned bridges on 3 teams. That's why the Sharks got Kane so cheap compared to what Nash cost.
Just because he had a career year does not mean his cost will be incredibly higher. This guy is a pain in the butt and a coach killer.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think Dubas will do well but the one area I worry about is trading, that’s all about personal relations. Dubas will have a harder time because of his age.

That doesn’t mean I think we should have hired someone else but it’s a potential problem.
Would Hunter be better just because he's older?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You said the following:

Andersen is connected to the kessel ltrade because the leafs acquired him by giving up the 1st round pick they acquired from Pittsburgh. I don't know anyone saying Brandon saad was a part of the kessel trade. This is the first time I've ever heard that.

However, people say Andersen isn't connected to the kessel trade because he wasn't directly acquired in that trade. The trade was an underwhelming package that included a 1st round pick, not an underwhelming package that included Andersen. Another thing, the first round pick could have had more or less value that Andersen when the kessel trade was made.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You said the following:

Andersen is connected to the kessel ltrade because the leafs acquired him by giving up the 1st round pick they acquired from Pittsburgh. I don't know anyone saying Brandon saad was a part of the kessel trade. This is the first time I've ever heard that.

However, people say Andersen isn't connected to the kessel trade because he wasn't directly acquired in that trade. The trade was an underwhelming package that included a 1st round pick, not an underwhelming package that included Andersen. Another thing, the first round pick could have had more or less value that Andersen when the kessel trade was made.
I guess you were not around in 2009/10, It was said constantly. There were threads about it on the main board.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wanna bet? This guy has a really bad reputation. He has burned bridges on 3 teams. That's why the Sharks got Kane so cheap compared to what Nash cost.
Just because he had a career year does not mean his cost will be incredibly higher. This guy is a pain in the butt and a coach killer.
The leafs got hosed on the kessel deal partly because they wanted to get rid of him asap. They wanted to rebuild and that would progress immensely with a kessel trade. The penguins don't want to give up kessel. If a team doesn't want to give up a player, it will cost more to acquire him.

Kane was had for cheap because he was a rental with an injury history and decent production. Kessel is the complete opposite. He hasn't missed a game in 8 seasons, has put up much more points than Kane has, and has a great contract that's locked in for 4 more seasons.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The leafs got hosed on the kessel deal partly because they wanted to get rid of him asap. They wanted to rebuild and that would progress immensely with a kessel trade. The penguins don't want to give up kessel. If a team doesn't want to give up a player, it will cost more to acquire him.

Kane was had for cheap because he was a rental with an injury history and decent production. Kessel is the complete opposite. He hasn't missed a game in 8 seasons, has put up much more points than Kane has, and has a great contract that's locked in for 4 more seasons.
Well the coach might want him gone badly from what we hear.
Kane was had for cheap because of his reputation. Nash was older with worse production and the same injury history. It was all reputation. Nash was the media golden buy Kane was the guy who had a terrible reputation.
O-Dog mentioned many times how many teams he was aware of wanted nothing to do with Kane.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well the coach might want him gone badly from what we hear.
Kane was had for cheap because of his reputation. Nash was older with worse production and the same injury history. It was all reputation. Nash was the media golden buy Kane was the guy who had a terrible reputation.
O-Dog mentioned many times how many teams he was aware of wanted nothing to do with Kane.
It's only the coach that had a feud with him. They aren't going to get rid of him because he feuds with the coach. That's absurd. Kessel will still fetch more than the leafs received when they traded him in 2015.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Eh, I think you are not a good GM if you are going by that.

Being a good GM has nothing to do with it, it's just easier to bond over shared experiences. I think Dubas will have harder time than Hunter would with building those connections. I still think Dubas is the right choice to be GM but he has his flaws.

Last edited:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Vegas is 1-0 in the stanley cup finals and have been showing all year that a team of hard working players can come out on top of all the skill in the NHL.

Yeah, because MAF is a flash in the pan goalie who has never won any Stanley Cups in the past, and Marchessault isn't shaping up to be the next coming Martin St. Louis. Vegas has skill, and a lot of it. They just had the benefit of a draft lottery that wouldn't condemn them to 3 years of bottom feeding, followed by 3 years of being mediocre, and praying along the way that they'd land a 1st overall with the new draft rules.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, because MAF is a flash in the pan goalie who has never won any Stanley Cups in the past, and Marchessault isn't shaping up to be the next coming Martin St. Louis. Vegas has skill, and a lot of it. They just had the benefit of a draft lottery that wouldn't condemn them to 3 years of bottom feeding, followed by 3 years of being mediocre, and praying along the way that they'd land a 1st overall with the new draft rules.
Look at Vegas. They are still not that talented. They are well coached and have good depth. Every team has a Marchessault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad