News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
the leafs moved kessel because they wanted to continue the rebuild and that meant bug contracts had to be moved. if the leafs weren't rebuilding, no way he gets traded
Reports were that Babcock would only come on the condition that Kessel is moved.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Reports were that Babcock would only come on the condition that Kessel is moved.
That doesn't sound right.
Where the team was and where the team was headed meant that Kessel and Phaneuf needed to go for two main reasons.
1) Tank
2) Change of culture. In particular, they didn't want Kessel having an impression on the young kids.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Boston moved Kessel for a reason. It wasn't because his individual numbers were crap. Toronto moved Kessel for a reason. It wasn't because his individual numbers were crap. Pittsburgh might be moving Kessel for a reason. It isn't because his individual numbers are crap.
There is a pattern here. Strong no

It'd be a no for me as well, not enough of a need for what it might take. A trade requires two parties though. Boston was willing to give him up, but Toronto was willing to bring him in. Replace Boston and Toronto with Toronto and Pittsburgh in the previous sentence. One team's question is another's answer if things line up and make sense.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
That doesn't sound right.
Where the team was and where the team was headed meant that Kessel and Phaneuf needed to go for two main reasons.
1) Tank
2) Change of culture. In particular, they didn't want Kessel having an impression on the young kids.
Add 3) if Kessel couldn't play under Babcock, his value across the league would have been destroyed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Add 3) if Kessel couldn't play under Babcock, his value across the league would have been destroyed.
He's too good not to have been able to play. His value was already limited, hence the return.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He's too good not to have been able to play. His value was already limited, hence the return.
There was a story about the leafs talking strategies and plays to move the puck out of the defensive zone ( a real problem at the time) Within the story was Kessel's response: "Nope...not going to do that". That attitude might have worked under Wilson but Babcock would have benched him. This is what I'm talking about.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston moved Kessel for a reason. It wasn't because his individual numbers were crap. Toronto moved Kessel for a reason. It wasn't because his individual numbers were crap. Pittsburgh might be moving Kessel for a reason. It isn't because his individual numbers are crap.

I'm not jealous. I'm also a Pens fan. Also aware that he couldn't play with Crosby and Malkin didn't want to play with him.
If the pens want to offer up one of those guys, you would be surprised what I would offer.

Yeah imagine if Kessel came here, Matthews didn't want to play with him, Marner didn't want to play with him, Nylander didn't want to play with him, Kadri didn't want to play with him, Kessel played at a Conn Smythe level in the playoffs, we won the Stanldy Cup twice and then we wanted to move him because of "a reason". That would be just terrible.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Yeah imagine if Kessel came here, Matthews didn't want to play with him, Marner didn't want to play with him, Nylander didn't want to play with him, Kadri didn't want to play with him, Kessel played at a Conn Smythe level in the playoffs, we won the Stanldy Cup twice and then we wanted to move him because of "a reason". That would be just terrible.
Because Kessel will would guarantee a cup for the leafs....oh wait.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Phil’s a lovable goof ball when things are going his way, he’s scoring and the team is winning with someone else doing the heavy lifting. When you need him to conform to a system, the hurricane sulk comes out. He’s a difficult persona to manage. That’s not a surprise to anyone.

Reactions: hotpaws

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Phil’s a lovable goof ball when things are going his way, he’s scoring and the team is winning with someone else doing the heavy lifting. When you need him to conform to a system, the hurricane sulk comes out. He’s a difficult persona to manage. That’s not a surprise to anyone.

I swear I read "lovable golf ball". A freudian slip of sorts I suppose. :laugh:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The guy who built the Marlies is running the show. Best young GM candidate around.
But by all means, let's go with the 55 year-old weho's never been offered squat while the 32 year-old has had 2 Gm offers already.

How many players did he acquire on the Marlies? He's proven nothing.

Reactions: hotpaws

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
1. Because we would give up valuable assets
2. He doesn't fit into the team first culture.
3. The minutes not given to JVR would have to come from the other young promising players to justify the cost.
4. His performance WILL decline due to his age and his lack of training predisposition. Older players only stay in the league if they train like workhorses. He eats hotdogs, golfs and fishes during his down time.

1. That's actually a good reason.
2. That's actually a terrible, terrible reason. Chiarelli, is that you? :sarcasm:

The old-geezers that traded Tyler Seguin because he didn't fit their 'team culture' is hilarious and the same reasoning you're using. I'm guessing you wouldn't Seguin on our team as well ...
3. The RWs for next year will be Marner, Brown, Kapanen, xxx with Nylander moving to C. If you decide to play 28 point Connor Brown over 92 point Phil Kessel, then that's entirely on you.
Hyman - Matthews - Kessel (17 minutes)
Johnsson - Kadri - Marner ( 16 minutes)
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen (15 minutes)
Aaltonen - Lindholm - Brown ( 12 minutes)
4. Oh yeah totally. You were probably one of the posters who thought he would've retired by now from obesity even though he's played a gazillion games consecutively at a top-level (outside of the 14/15 Leafs).

Are you just making random opinions with no context?

Boston moved Kessel because they had NO cap space. They already had stars Savard, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Chara, AND more locked up and were already at the cap limit when Kessel's contract ended. They had no choice but to either deal him, or one of their already-core players.

Toronto moed Kessel because they had to rebuild. There was absolutely no scenario, NONE, where Toronto rebuilds without moving Kessel. That trade indirectly ended up giving us Matthews (guaranteed last place), Kapanen (in deal) , Andersen (draft pick in the deal traded).

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Just for the fun of it I'd want to see what a Marner-Nylander-Kessel line would look like. I'm pretty sure it'd give Babcock a heart attack.

Dionlooksgoodrn

Apr 3, 2013
Just for the fun of it I'd want to see what a Marner-Nylander-Kessel line would look like. I'm pretty sure it'd give Babcock a heart attack.

I think too many people on HF underestimate Bab’s faith in Marner’s defensive play. If our other top forwards with the exception of Kadri had the drive Mitch has backchecking not even the worst Leaf fans on here could chirp. I do understand what you’re trying to say though. That line combo offensively is an absolute nightmare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad