Kessel, JvR, and Kulemin in Sochi

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

phil-kessel-smelling-salts.gif

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
^^
Looks like a pretty regular Leaf scene at the bench. Though those things haven't always seemed to work at getting our team to show up right out of the gate in first periods :).

gosuscores

Apr 29, 2010
Team Canada is not concerned with scoring; we only care about winning. Would the Team Canada brass think that Phil Kessel would have given us the best chance to win? Probably not, considering how unreliable he is in his own zone.

I'm having a difficult time understanding your thinking process. For one thing, to win a game, you need to be able to score and play defence equally well. Scoring and defence are both subset components of strategy. You can't just pick and choose to just focus on one and neglect the other (as implied by your post). But obviously, you can't find 12 players who are both amazing at scoring and be a beast in defence. You balance the weakness of a player with the strength of another and vice versa.

Last time I checked, hockey is a team game. I didn't realize the success or failure of a game depended on one player (in your case, Phil Kessel).

By the way, I'm not defending Kessel. I'm just questioning why you believe wholeheartedly that the success or failure of a team rests solely on one player, when all we have is speculations, and your assumption that Kessel's weaknesses cannot be mitigated in any way, in order to leverage his strengths.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Kessel was still outscoring the majority of wingers on team Canada.

St. Louis had more points than Kessel at the time - he didn't make it the first go and only made it because Stamkos got injured. Giroux also had about the same amount and was slated to play as a RW. Taylor Hall had around the same amount of points and a higher PPG. They all didn't make it. It's not about points. It seems that Yzerman and Babcock have put a premium on being defensively responsible and a cycle-centric team. I can't think of a single forward on the team that isn't at least average defensively.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
St. Louis had more points than Kessel at the time - he didn't make it the first go and only made it because Stamkos got injured. Giroux also had about the same amount and was slated to play as a RW. Taylor Hall had around the same amount of points and a higher PPG. They all didn't make it. It's not about points. It seems that Yzerman and Babcock have put a premium on being defensively responsible and a cycle-centric team. I can't think of a single forward on the team that isn't at least average defensively.

Agreed but you're still fooling yourself if you think Kessel doesn't make team Canada. On large ice, you think a top 5 NHL winger (who's skating is one of his top assets) doesn't make the team? Hall is still young and inexperienced, Giroux is a playmaking center and St.Louis just got beat out by younger players. Kessel is exactly what team Canada is missing, another player similar to Carter who is a serious goal scorer.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Two bad games, and they just so happened to be the two most important games of the tournament for them. It's alarming but it just goes to show that we cannot count on them in the big game. They will never be able to bring the maple leaf the ultimate prize like Carey Price and Patrice Bergeron will do tomorrow.

Ridiculous logic. I suppose the same thing can be said of every player on Team USA's roster, except for the fact that some of them have Stanley Cup rings. :sarcasm:

The bottom line is that our players comprised Team USA's most dangerous line throughout the tournament, including their leading scorer.

gosuscores

Apr 29, 2010
I'm not sure why we're even debating whether Kessel makes it on Team Canada... This whole Kessel on Team Canada debate was just started as Red Herring argument to discredit Kessel's abilities as a player, and focusing on Kessel's deficiencies in his defensive liabilities without caring to consider his strengths (Top 5 in NHL, practically USA's MVP and leading scorer). It's not really worth going any further if all evidences aren't being considered.

I for one am just glad Kessel, JVR and Kulie are all coming back in one piece. They represented their countries well, now it's back to work.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Agreed but you're still fooling yourself if you think Kessel doesn't make team Canada. On large ice, you think a top 5 NHL winger (who's skating is one of his top assets) doesn't make the team? Hall is still young and inexperienced, Giroux is a playmaking center and St.Louis just got beat out by younger players. Kessel is exactly what team Canada is missing, another player similar to Carter who is a serious goal scorer.

It depends what you're asking. If you're asking:

1) Does Kessel deserve to make Team Canada? Yes, IMO.
2) Would Kessel actually would've made Team Canada if Yzerman & co. were selecting players on January 8th? I don't think so due to their focus on two-way forwards and a cycle-centric team.

Disgruntled Observer*

Ridiculous logic. I suppose the same thing can be said of every player on Team USA's roster, except for the fact that some of them have Stanley Cup rings. :sarcasm:

The bottom line is that our players comprised Team USA's most dangerous line throughout the tournament, including their leading scorer.

I disagree with those that say Kessel wouldn't make team Canada. He almost for sure would have been on the team.

But I also vehemently disagree with what you just wrote above.
Kessel being on fire against the teams they were beating by 6 goals doesn't really matter much. On the important games where he could actually make a difference, he was a no show.

I'm consistent with this.
I'm disappointed with Crosby as well.
If Crosby gets even one important goal in the gold medal game, I would consider him having a better Olympics overall than Kessel getting tons of points against weak teams early in the tournament, while being a no show on the big games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure why we're even debating whether Kessel makes it on Team Canada... This whole Kessel on Team Canada debate was just started as Red Herring argument to discredit Kessel's abilities as a player, and focusing on Kessel's deficiencies in his defensive liabilities without caring to consider his strengths (Top 5 in NHL, practically USA's MVP and leading scorer). It's not really worth going any further if all evidences aren't being considered.

I for one am just glad Kessel, JVR and Kulie are all coming back in one piece. They represented their countries well, now it's back to work.

Yes, there was no way Kessel would be considered for Canada he isn't Canadian.

The trouble with Olympic stats is apples and oranges comparisons. They don't play the same teams.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I disagree with those that say Kessel wouldn't make team Canada. He almost for sure would have been on the team.

But I also vehemently disagree with what you just wrote above.
Kessel being on fire against the teams they were beating by 6 goals doesn't really matter much. On the important games where he could actually make a difference, he was a no show.

I'm consistent with this.
I'm disappointed with Crosby as well.
If Crosby gets even one important goal in the gold medal game, I would consider him having a better Olympics overall than Kessel getting tons of points against weak teams early in the tournament, while being a no show on the big games.

Crosby is not playing a defence Kessel faced against Canada, while his coach didn't even try to get him away from Toews. If I were Crosby I would be wondering why I am the best player in the world with 2 measly points in this tournament, and thanking Weber, Doughty, Keith, and the rest of that stellar defence. They have saved Canada thus far.

Disgruntled Observer*

Crosby is not playing a defence Kessel faced against Canada, while his coach didn't even try to get him away from Toews. If I were Crosby I would be wondering why I am the best player in the world with 2 measly points in this tournament, and thanking Weber, Doughty, Keith, and the rest of that stellar defence. They have saved Canada thus far.

Agreed.
Crosby has certainly underperformed. Games that should have been easy victories have been nail biters, largely because our #1 line hasn't been able to finish all tournament.
Whereas Kessel's line made the easy victories actual easy victories.
No question, Kessel has performed better.

However, on the two most important games for his team, Kessel was a no show.
He contributed to making the easy wins easy... and that's great and all... but he simply disappeared when the going got tough..

I think with Crosby it will be the opposite. Tonight (it's an evening game where i live), the most important game, I think we'll see why Crosby is the best hockey player in the world.
This is simply a prediction, not a statement of fact.

mikebel111*

Kessel one of probably a couple players from US doing anything last 2 games. Freaking love him. He is an elite player. Whoever says no well they are wrong.

JVR impressive in his first career olympics. Being a thorn as usual in front of the net. Its amazing he still has a good 4 or 5 years left before reaching his prime. I am excited about his future.

Kuli being very reliable as well. That is expected now. Its too bad the so called superstars didnt show up. Very me first type team.

Overall. Very solid showing. Seems kessel has made a few enemies which is what i want. Only shows they are upset that we have a heck of a player

mikebel111*

Agreed.
Crosby has certainly underperformed. Games that should have been easy victories have been nail biters, largely because our #1 line hasn't been able to finish all tournament.
Whereas Kessel's line made the easy victories actual easy victories.
No question, Kessel has performed better.

However, on the two most important games for his team, Kessel was a no show.
He contributed to making the easy wins easy... and that's great and all... but he simply disappeared when the going got tough..

I think with Crosby it will be the opposite. Tonight (it's an evening game where i live), the most important game, I think we'll see why Crosby is the best hockey player in the world.
This is simply a prediction, not a statement of fact.

Did u even watch the games?kessel was one of the best players for US the last 2 games. Its too bad boxscores are more important to u.

Disgruntled Observer*

Did u even watch the games?kessel was one of the best players for US the last 2 games. Its too bad boxscores are more important to u.

Looked pretty invisible to me the past two games.
Only leaf fans are saying differently. Of course.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I didn't see the last game, but during the Canada vs US game Kessel had a few really good rushes during the game, but the majority of team USA was pretty invisible.

If you're gonna pin this loss on him. :laugh:

I'm out!

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Where did you find all of this?

All-Star Team

Pos. | Player
G |
wse.gif
Henrik Lundqvist
D |
wca.gif
Drew Doughty
D |
wse.gif
Erik Karlsson
F |
wus.gif
Phil Kessel
F |
wfi.gif
Mikael Granlund
F |
wfi.gif
Teemu Selänne

Awards
- | -
Most Valuable Player: |
wfi.gif
Teemu Selänne

Best Forward: |
wus.gif
Phil Kessel

Best Defenseman: |
wse.gif
Erik Karlsson

Best Goaltender: |
wca.gif
Carey Price

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That's certainly something nice for Kessel to have going back. The team success didn't pan out, but was certainly recognized for his efforts and how much he did out there during this tournament.

Now time to come back and start lighting up the NHL again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad