Friedman: Kessel is in play

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Didn’t Mckenzie say the Kings are interested in Kessel lol?

There's a difference between interested and talking trade. If your GM isn't checking in on prices for a Top6 guy, than he isn't doing his job. But it will all come down to price. And that price for LA won't be that large. And for the people saying Muzzin +Pearson/Toffoli, why? A Top 2 dman + Top6 winger for a Top6 winger...that's ridiculous!

Reactions: Kingspiracy

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Well if your GM spends the beginning of the off season talking about getting faster, younger and more skilled. Why would you want to trade the Kings youth for a 31 year old winger. Kind of opposite of what the GM was talking about.

Well in all fairness Kessel is 2 out of the 3 things your GM listed as wanting. Hes Highly Skilled offensively, and hes Fast. The only thing he is not is young.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Because the offers in here for Kessel really aren't even close to enough for him. If they're actually interested in Kessel, they wouldn't be offering as little as Kings fans in here are offering. Muzzin and a small piece just isn't enough for a guy coming off a 92 point season, JR is just going to put the Kings on ignore if that's the best they'd do.

I can live with that. Plan b would be someone like jvr as a ufa signing or patches

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's a difference between interested and talking trade. If your GM isn't checking in on prices for a Top6 guy, than he isn't doing his job. But it will all come down to price. And that price for LA won't be that large. And for the people saying Muzzin +Pearson/Toffoli, why? A Top 2 dman + Top6 winger for a Top6 winger...that's ridiculous!

That's a really simple way of looking at it, because Pearson was a 40 point top-6 winger and Kessel was a 90 point top-6 winger last season. I don't disagree that it's a lot, but I'm struggling to come up with another package that makes sense for the Penguins. The Kings don't have 2 top-6 forwards to spare, and the drop from Muzzin to Forbort (the next best guy they'd offer with Pearson or Toffoli) is pretty sizable.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
That's a really simple way of looking at it, because Pearson was a 40 point top-6 winger and Kessel was a 90 point top-6 winger last season. I don't disagree that it's a lot, but I'm struggling to come up with another package that makes sense for the Penguins. The Kings don't have 2 top-6 forwards to spare, and the drop from Muzzin to Forbort (the next best guy they'd offer with Pearson or Toffoli) is pretty sizable.
Martinez is probably next cab off the rank after Muzzin value wise ( some kings fans value martinez more)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Martinez is probably next cab off the rank after Muzzin value wise ( some kings fans value martinez more)

I have Martinez and Muzzin at basically equal value, or close enough value that I don't think one would fly if the other one wouldn't. If Muzzin and Pearson is too much, I would imagine Martinez and Pearson would be too much.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I have Martinez and Muzzin at basically equal value, or close enough value that I don't think one would fly if the other one wouldn't. If Muzzin and Pearson is too much, I would imagine Martinez and Pearson would be too much.

To me that is closer value, id probably do that.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
To me that is closer value, id probably do that.
I would definitely not do Martinez and Pearson from the Pens side. Kessel is a difference maker and sniper, you don’t trade that for depth guys. Top tier winger or defenseman has to come back

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Kessel likely just peaked trading a top pairing D (muzzin) for him and adding more when the odds of him replicating that season are very low is bad asset management. Kessel is 31 by the start of next season he isnt gonna get a top pair D plus a top winger that is hilariously awful asset management.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I would definitely not do Martinez and Pearson from the Pens side. Kessel is a difference maker and sniper, you don’t trade that for depth guys. Top tier winger or defenseman has to come back
Ok, thats not happening from LA then, we have neither available.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

How are Martinez and Pearson depth guys? Pearson is a top-6 winger and Martinez is a #3 defenseman.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
How are Martinez and Pearson depth guys? Pearson is a top-6 winger and Martinez is a #3 defenseman.
Neither Pearson nor Martinez are top guys at their position. We would be trading an elite goal scorer for like a 50 point winger and a D that is no better than Dumo/Letang/Schultz. I call that a depth move.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
zero interest in Martinez, he's an absolute drain on possession. Muzzin maybe, Martinez absolutely not.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A Top 2 dman + Top6 winger for a Top6 winger...that's ridiculous!

A top 2 dman and a top 6 winger for the 15th highest scorer in the NHL over the last three seasons isn't though. A grand total of 3 RWs outscored him.

Says the guy who made a Kessel for Johnson + Miller proposal. How the first one isn't a trade for depth guys but Martinez and Pearson would be is quite beyond me.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Neither Pearson nor Martinez are top guys at their position. We would be trading an elite goal scorer for like a 50 point winger and a D that is no better than Dumo/Letang/Schultz. I call that a depth move.

An elite goal scorer with 24 goals last year......If that's your definition of Elite, then you need to add to Kessel to get Toffoli....right?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
That would be God awful for Nashville. Instead of adding Tolvanen and keeping a no.2 center, a top 4 defenseman and a top 6 winger we'd suddenly have an expensive top 6 winger and need to desperately obtain a no.2 center and another top 4 defenseman. Makes zero sense for them.

Despite sucking it up in the playoffs, we just obtained Turris and he's proven he can play better in the playoffs. This is the first time in a decade we've actually had center depth that didn't completely suck, doubt we move on this early unless we get Tavares or something equally ridiculous.

This has got to be a really bad joke, why would Nashville make a trade where they get a worse forward and a worse dman at the same time. Spectacularly ridiculous.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Just for reference, Kessel probably has a little less value than Duchene when he was traded. Maybe more considering Kessel is coming off a amazing year and Duchene was coming off a bad year. But not all teams are gunna offer the same. I see Florida and Calgary offering the most to JR.

Reactions: 99664987

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Interesting, the Penguins are getting a worse return than what they gave up for Kessel. All while after Kessel has won 2 cups and also had 92 points last season. Interesting.

Well a diminished return is to be expected, as players grow older.

He's not a fine scotch, Kessel. On the contrary, I'd say he ages more like milk.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well a diminished return is to be expected, as players grow older.

He's not a fine scotch, Kessel. On the contrary, I'd say he ages more like milk.

No, you think he'll age like milk. You can't point to a guy who just bested his previous career high by 10 points at the age of 30 and say he's already regressing miserably.

At the end of the day I don't think he's going anywhere because it'd be extremely hard for the Penguins to win any trade involving him in the short-term, while the championship window remains open.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad