Rumor: "Kessel has likely played his last game for Arizona"

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't really see the fit in Florida. They're still trying to do a bit of a culture shakeup there too. Could also see Phil butting heads with Coach Q. The low cash owing is definitely appealing for the Panthers though.

Vegas makes sense, even more so if we retain. Give me like Kaedan Korczak and a 2023 2nd.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the most important thing for Phil is a room with strong leadership and a team that could really benefit from a PP boost. I think the islanders make sense. They struck out on Tarasenko. So they’re obviously in the market for a hired gun for the PP and are obviously willing to overlook colorful personalities.

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
People said Vegas dumped Fleury to get Eichel, but the math doesn't add up.

It does add up for Kessel though. He was a lot better last year than in his first season. Is all the signing bonus of 5 mill paid, no reason to not retain a lot here? With 3 retention - spots, Kessel gets the second, but this one only lasts a year?

Can we hope for another Kings Ransom?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't really see the fit in Florida. They're still trying to do a bit of a culture shakeup there too. Could also see Phil butting heads with Coach Q. The low cash owing is definitely appealing for the Panthers though.

Vegas makes sense, even more so if we retain. Give me like Kaedan Korczak and a 2023 2nd.
I’d do Kessel for Korczak for sure. But Vegas has so many good wingers already.

Reactions: Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Maybe Vegas will be dumb and give us krebs for Kessel. They gave up a top prospect for pacioretty. One can hope right?

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Remember how exciting it was when we first landed Phil? Man this has sucked lol
upload_2021-7-27_14-17-42.png

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t remember that. I remember not wanting Kessel at any cost. I enjoyed watching him though.

I was more invested in the concept of having Phil Kessel than having the actual player. I liked that we were going after a guy who could be legitimately considered a star player. Let's be honest, our aspirations for a decade before getting Kessel were getting mid-tier or washed players that weren't being signed by more respectable franchises.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
First injured season aside, Phil played very well for us..... you guys must expect superman or something, when we land a big name. :huh:

Hell, even the first injured season, he played better than a lot of the roster.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
First injured season aside, Phil played very well for us..... you guys must expect superman or something, when we land a big name. :huh:

Hell, even the first injured season, he played better than a lot of the roster.

His offensive production was good. What I hated - and will not miss a whit - was the repeated sight of a wholly-gassed Kessel out on the ice, basically immobile, looking for all the world like he had sprinted too hard for the hot dog cart.. and not making a single move to the bench. The Coyotes would basically gift the other team a man advantage while Phil tried to get his breath back.

A hockey game is 60 minutes of regulation, and the teams that win the Stanley Cup play the full 60 more often than the rest. I think that's the kind of team BA wants to build, and Kessel, bless his soul and shit-eatin' grin, can't provide that.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
His offensive production was good. What I hated - and will not miss a whit - was the repeated sight of a wholly-gassed Kessel out on the ice, basically immobile, looking for all the world like he had sprinted too hard for the hot dog cart.. and not making a single move to the bench. The Coyotes would basically gift the other team a man advantage while Phil tried to get his breath back.

A hockey game is 60 minutes of regulation, and the teams that win the Stanley Cup play the full 60 more often than the rest. I think that's the kind of team BA wants to build, and Kessel, bless his soul and shit-eatin' grin, can't provide that.
I was / am at every home game and don't miss the tv road games, I witnessed what you describe in year one (injury year). Year two, he often times outworked many of his teammates. I'm not saying the man never got winded, I'm saying I don't / didn't find it as egregious as yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad