Kessel, Chucko, Frazee and other underaged Gophers caught with booze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Developementally delayed

Fourteen (14) is the age you can get your learner's license to drive and 18 is the legal drinking age in Alberta.

Some of the boy's caught drinking in one part of the continent are law breakers and in another would be considered developementally delayed.

Interesting world.

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Fox9 is terrible. They're all about the shock and the schtick.

Alot of people watch the Gophers here in Minnesota and are especially excited about this team. What better way to grab veiwers attention.

The media in this town really sucks.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
No doubt this is ridiculous that fox 9 covered this. And it is not a big deal. Everyone knows that college students drink. Also in the CHL they would be happy that they were in a bar so that they could at least be supervised. The bar feels obligated to serve the minors because if it is the teams watering hole it attracts other business and chances are it is a young puck bunny that is serving them beer and she would feel ridiculous IDing them and kicking him out. But...... being hockey players in that town and being very recognized people it is their responsibility to drink responsibly and not in public because they know everyone knows who they are. At the end of the day who cares, they had a beer, unfortunately the bar will get a huge penalty and the players could face some kind of suspension, but I don't think it would be too bad.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Which doesn't take away from the fact that these kids were involved in an activity that's against the law.

Have you ever sped?
Walked when the hand was flashing at you?
J-Walked?

I'm willing to put everything I own on the line that says you've done one of those things.

"...involved in an activity against the law." yeah, that's right they were. They broke the law...oh no...give them their underage drinking fine...ban them from the pub...cut the pub's liquor license. That'll teach them.

Better yet, suspend the soon to be #1 in the draft for the remainder of the season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
GregStack said:
Have you ever sped?
Walked when the hand was flashing at you?
J-Walked?

I'm willing to put everything I own on the line that says you've done one of those things.

"...involved in an activity against the law." yeah, that's right they were. They broke the law...oh no...give them their underage drinking fine...ban them from the pub...cut the pub's liquor license. That'll teach them.

Better yet, suspend the soon to be #1 in the draft for the remainder of the season.

Overreacting a bit? I was just point out that a law's a law and flaunting isn't a good idea.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Whether it was in a bar or in in their dorms, or elsewhere, they were probably going to drink. Hardly a big deal.

I would venture a guess that an extremely small percentage of the American population has never had a beer before they were legal. Which, of course, isn't helped by the extreme legal age, either.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Whether or not "everyone" is doing it or not is not a good reason to do or not to do something. The question is whether or not it breaks team rules and society's rules, which by the way, are relevant. Someone stated if you don't like the rules, work to change them and that is true and the American way. I hardly think we can expect to hear Coach Lucia saying to the press, "well most all college kids drink, no big deal". Hah, he would get fired on the spot.

An old friend of mine lives in the bushes today, a complete alcoholic. He drank a lot in H.S. and also in college. This is no joke. This guy is going to die from alcohol. I've tried to help him to no avail. Many people think it's funny when kids drink, I really don't. I don't overreact to it, but I also wonder which kids won't be able to control it and will have their lives destroyed by it.

A Good Flying Bird*

Wild GM said:
http://www.kmsp.com/news/investigators/story.asp?1650014
(snip)
"The Fox 9 Investigators uncover underage drinking by at least five players on the Golden Gopher men's hockey team.

It takes place at Blarney Pub and Grill, in the heart of Dinkytown near the U of M campus.

Starting Thursday night, Dinkytown becomes party town, and the alcohol flows 'til last call at 2:00 a.m. Monday morning.

Blarney Pub and Grill is a popular hot spot, where a lot of booze is poured, and among the many students drinking it are members of the University of Minnesota men's hockey team.

A team ranked number one at the start of the season, predicted by some to win the 2006 national title.

But there's a problem: over the course of 2 months, the Fox 9 Investigators videotaped 8 underage hockey players inside Blarney Pub and Grill.

Of those 8, 5 of them are drinking alcohol.

That means they're breaking laws, and violating the NCAA's policy on alcohol, which says underage drinking by student athletes is unacceptable.

The Fox 9 Investigators spent six weekends undercover inside and outside of Blarney Pub and Grill, shooting 50-hours of surveillance tape with our hidden cameras.

The video we shot of the underage drinkers is now being investigated by the University of Minnesota."

Wow. Hockey players drinking beer.

Slow news day.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
fatsunny said:
Whether or not "everyone" is doing it or not is not a good reason to do or not to do something. The question is whether or not it breaks team rules and society's rules, which by the way, are relevant. Someone stated if you don't like the rules, work to change them and that is true and the American way. I hardly think we can expect to hear Coach Lucia saying to the press, "well most all college kids drink, no big deal". Hah, he would get fired on the spot.

An old friend of mine lives in the bushes today, a complete alcoholic. He drank a lot in H.S. and also in college. This is no joke. This guy is going to die from alcohol. I've tried to help him to no avail. Many people think it's funny when kids drink, I really don't. I don't overreact to it, but I also wonder which kids won't be able to control it and will have their lives destroyed by it.

I certainly am not one to scoff at drinking. Those who know me know that.

But it's not as if these people drinking were 10, or 12, or 14. They are drinking at, yes, an illegal age in the US (the establishment they're drinking at is the ones who should REALLY be in trouble by the way), but an age that some societies deem fit to drink.

This is not truly "okay," but the reality of the matter is it's not unusual.

I don't know, I'm the furthest thing from a social activist, but perhaps, on a somewhat related topic, the US needs to re-examine their legal drinking age. Does it not seem a little unusual that a person can be sent to a war zone more than 1000 days before they can buy a can of Bud?

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
The kids were drinking in public. They're dumb enough to do that, they deserve to get caught. When you're a public figure... chances are people are going to look for ways to get you in trouble. Don't make it that much easier for them.

The bigger issue about this is what has come out since that first story. Apparently some of the U of M athletic staff knew that the players were drinking this summer, yet did not taken any action to stop those players from doing so. That's not gonna look good in the NCAA's eyes.

What also won't go over well with the NCAA is the fact that the bar owner was waiving a cover charge for the athletes. That constitutes as a booster giving illegal gifts to a college athlete. Looks like the players/school could get in trouble for that too if the NCAA decides to take action.

Not to mentiont he fact that the local DA is up for reelection sometime soon, despite it's trivialness... the players could be in a lot of trouble.

PS - I like the people who say the players had no choice because it was a "team meeting." I understand peer pressure, believe me... but why were there only 5 underage players drinking? Surely the other underclassmen have to be involved in the great team meeting for fear of being shunned from the team and becoming castaways.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Not sure this is a worthy story to do. Seems crapy to have the media following the personal lives of athletes, but unfortunately it sells viewers/copies of mags.

Regarding a legal drinking age equal to the drafting age, to me that is not relevant, although I respect the argument. When you're in a military setting, you are under incredible controls and you have intense training. It's life and death. 18 year olds are very capable of handling that situation, both physically and mentally.

When you let young men (say 18 - 21) in a free society drink, there are little, if any, controls. That leads to an incredible increase in drunk driving incidents (Danny Healty) and other abuses due to alcohol, such as date ****, fights, destruction of private property, poor study habits if they're in school, etc.. When adults drink socially, there tends to be less trouble in these areas as they usually have more maturity to handle drinking better. Not always, but usually. That's why car insurance rates are so much more for young men than those in their mid 20's and up.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
The law is the law and it is the glue that holds society together. If you disagree with it, you work through legal means to change it! If all thought like you (and many do) then what would stop someone who does not believe in property rights from taking what is legally yours?

Kids drink, that is a fact but these are not your regular college frosh they are D-1 athletes who, like it or not, are held to a higher standard.

The glue that holds society together ain't the law, that's ridiculous. It is the collective culture and education. The law is supposed to be based on that, and if it isn't, it's a poor job by the lawmakers, not by the people doing what they think is right.

As to the law, you aren't doing anything "illegal" until you get caught.

Now, regarding this case, it's totally stupid. A prime example of being politically correct. The same kids in Canada could drink all they want without it being a problem. Do those Canadian kids become alcoholics? Are they worse people later on? What about France where kids drink at age under 10?

If anything, the lawmakers and the media should be both embarrassed.

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
Smail said:
The glue that holds society together ain't the law, that's ridiculous. It is the collective culture and education. The law is supposed to be based on that, and if it isn't, it's a poor job by the lawmakers, not by the people doing what they think is right.

As to the law, you aren't doing anything "illegal" until you get caught.

Now, regarding this case, it's totally stupid. A prime example of being politically correct. The same kids in Canada could drink all they want without it being a problem. Do those Canadian kids become alcoholics? Are they worse people later on? What about France where kids drink at age under 10?

If anything, the lawmakers and the media should be both embarrassed.

Wow, you have quite the twisted view of society. You aren't doing anything illegal you get caught? Say I kill every one of your close family members. I don't get caught, you never find out who did it. Did I do some illegal? Did I do something against the law? Absolutely yes, and just because this is a minor violation, that doesn't make them any less guilty of doing something illegal.

The problem I have is people jumped to conclusions after they saw the first report by the station. They saw the part of the story where the kids were drinking and thought that that is all there was to the story.

The kids were breaking US, NCAA, and school rules by underage drinking. They were breaking US, NCAA and school rules by just being in the bar. They were breaking NCAA and School rules by getting into the bar for free when non-athletes had to pay. The bar was breaking US rules by letting the underage kids into the bar. They bar owner ws breaking NCAA and school rules by letting the players into the bar for free.

It's not just a story of college athletes drinking. If it was, then I'd have no problem admitting that the story was worthless, but because there is so much more to it, that is why it is a news story.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
southpaw said:
Wow, you have quite the twisted view of society. You aren't doing anything illegal you get caught? Say I kill every one of your close family members. I don't get caught, you never find out who did it. Did I do some illegal? Did I do something against the law? Absolutely yes, and just because this is a minor violation, that doesn't make them any less guilty of doing something illegal.

The problem I have is people jumped to conclusions after they saw the first report by the station. They saw the part of the story where the kids were drinking and thought that that is all there was to the story.

The kids were breaking US, NCAA, and school rules by underage drinking. They were breaking US, NCAA and school rules by just being in the bar. They were breaking NCAA and School rules by getting into the bar for free when non-athletes had to pay. The bar was breaking US rules by letting the underage kids into the bar. They bar owner ws breaking NCAA and school rules by letting the players into the bar for free.

It's not just a story of college athletes drinking. If it was, then I'd have no problem admitting that the story was worthless, but because there is so much more to it, that is why it is a news story.

You haven't done anything illegal until justice says so. If you don't get caught, how likely is that to happen? I think you're confusing legal with moral, which are two different things completely. Imo, like in many other people's view, it is not immoral for someone 18+ to drink alcohol.

American history is filled with examples where the law was broken, yet the actions were moral. A whole family (the Kennedys) had their glory days that way.

There are millions of people that download songs. Why? Because they think it is moral to do so. The law can't make it illegal, but not immoral.

The NCAA rules (and other instances) are rules that are spawned by morally uptight individuals. The kind of useless rules that will not be followed anyway. It's all about the image, nothing else.

This case is one where most people (the bar owners, team personnel, the players) thought it was moral to drink a beer, while the lawmakers made it illegal. I can't see what's so shocking to anyone.

macho232

Nov 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
fatsunny said:
Most of you on this thread sound very juvenile, rationalizing under aged drinking. You might not like the law, but it's the law and these kids need to learn to respect it. Athletes are terribly spoiled as a whole with all the attention they get and the freebies and the look aways those in authority give them when they do wrong. Doing that isn't good for their personal human development and I hope the coach takes appropriate action for the best interest of the players involved.

Is it a huge issue at this time? I wouldn't classify it as such, but it's still an issue that can't be glossed over.

Let me guess, you weren't very popular when you were in high school.

D.Legwand

Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
i agree, this whole story is a total waste of time. they should have headed up to cloud where it's even worse.

did anybody else laugh to the point of almost crying when the woman reporter asked peltier about the pub?

it went something like this.

fox 9: can we get your comments on underage gophers hockey players drinking at blarneys?
pelt: what? where? i have never heard of that place.
fox 9: oh so you have never heard of it? well we have video footage of you drinking there.
pelt: uhhh no comment, no comment.

:biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad