Kessel Appreciation Thread

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
wow...we've got two world class talents that are showing a lot of chemistry with each other right now, and all we can do is snipe back and forth about who is making who better.

Anyways, for the guy saying Kessel is 36th in points...how many times did you bring up his 6th place finish last season?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Kessel is lightning fast, has one of the best wrist shots in the entire NHL, and despite being snake bit to start this year, has managed to find ways to put up points with his playmaking. Add to this better defensive coverage, and what we are witnessing is a young player who is maturing, and getting even better.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I agree with most of that, but I stand by my preference for more complete players. That would be my definition of a franchise player worth spending $7 + million a year on .

But if Kessel really was that kind of player, I doubt he would have been traded to Toronto in the first place.

So we have him. And it's fine because he's an asset to have. We can either sign him, trade him, or watch him walk from the team. Obviously we can't have him walk so we can either trade him or sign him. I'm fine with either option personally, but with the stipulations we either trade him for a very lucrative package or we sign him for less than an annual $7 million caphit. The money Dion is making now is appropriate.

I don't think anyone's had the expectation of Kessel being a franchise player in the Crosby mold, at least not since his draft year. I agree that anything south of $7M is appropriate, and I don't think he'll get $7M if he re-signs, I think something in the neighbourhood of 40/6 (6.65) makes sense.

As for the trade, I don't think anyone ever doubted that he'd become what he has today, or at least that he could get to this point, the Bruins just didn't think that at that point in his career he was worth $5+ and couldn't fit that contract in their pay structure, they were looking for the proverbial second contract. They moved him for more than they would have gotten in an offer sheet which was being speculated that Toronto and Nashville were getting ready to pursue.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Having JRV a left handed shot has really increased Kessels playmaking ability as we saw last night.

When Lupul gets back he should play with Kadri and Frattin!

Kessel is showing his elite talents on a consistent basis. I like how if he doesnt have a premium shot he is dishing it off tape to tape. Like we saw with the Phanuef goal and JVR's.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00