Sportsnet: Kessel and Leafs won't negotiate in-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Kessel is a top 10 scorer in this league so I don't see why people have an issue with him asking for a top 15 salary.

To crack the top 10 in salary he would need to ask for 9.25M+ and (if the rumours are true) that's not what he's looking for.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
This happens all the time, every off season.

They sign them almost a year in advance "every time"??

News to me.

What I'm trying to say is not everyone makes decisions in advance like that and Kessel may be one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

News to me.

What I'm trying to say is not everyone makes decisions in advance like that and Kessel may be one.

Why is "every time" in quotes?

Yes every one makes decisions how they choose.

Mar 26, 2010
Kessel is making this too nervous for comfort!

The same way that Anaheim didn't mess around with Getzlaf and Perry. They locked them both up during the season. If those guys made it to UFA they were GONE! No questions asked.

IF in fact Kessel refuses to negotiate and sign a deal during the season he is as good as gone! 100%. If that is the case then Nonis needs to trade him at the deadline. You can not simply let him walk on July 1st, not an option.

Nonis just needs to give him what he wants and lock him up. Don't play around.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
RFA contract

8.5 average over the next 2 years and 5.5 when he is 38 years old.

I get the feeling that these are things you know but are being intentionally obtuse.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct, and you have been sucked in. Some people feel an obligation to initiate a debate regardless of how incoherent or anything lacking of facts or even common sense is brought forth.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Kessel is making this too nervous for comfort!

The same way that Anaheim didn't mess around with Getzlaf and Perry. They locked them both up during the season. If those guys made it to UFA they were GONE! No questions asked.

IF in fact Kessel refuses to negotiate and sign a deal during the season he is as good as gone! 100%. If that is the case then Nonis needs to trade him at the deadline. You can not simply let him walk on July 1st, not an option.

Nonis just needs to give him what he wants and lock him up. Don't play around.

They were signed during the season. This season hasnt even started yet..

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
What if he doesn't re-sign and instead tests UFA and........Chiarelli woos him back to Boston?

:cry:

Sorry, that was uncalled for I know.

Nonis better play this right though. This is going to be nerve racking if we're creeping up to the TDL and Kessel's still not signed. Yeesh!

astro7

May 20, 2013
I can totally see Kessel leaving the Leafs, but back to Boston? It didn't end well with him and the Bruins so I couldn't see their GM wanting to take him back. BUT, crazier things have happened so I guess never say never.

What a punch in the face to the Leafs that would be, lol.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I can totally see Kessel leaving the Leafs, but back to Boston? It didn't end well with him and the Bruins so I couldn't see their GM wanting to take him back. BUT, crazier things have happened so I guess never say never.

What a punch in the face to the Leafs that would be, lol.

I was throwing that out there as a cruel joke, it just dawned upon me that it was possible and would be the worst case scenario.

I really hope he actually wants to be here and loves being a Leaf, but I just don't know, maybe he's dreaming of playing in Minnesota and doesn't feel any pressure to sign with his current team out of any loyalty, maybe he sees it all as a big corporation which it probably is really. And he knows he'll get the big bucks either way and he's in full control, noone can put a gun to his head or his career.

If an Ontario bred player on an american team wanted to test UFA because he wanted to play for the Leafs or Sens etc noone would question that, they'd probably really admire it and love them for that.

astro7

May 20, 2013
Yea I figured it was all in jest, hence the lol at the end. Ha.

Ever since Curtis Joseph joined the Red Wings in 2002, and later Sundin to the Canucks, it has been clear to me that since the beginning, "loyalty" in professional sports, particularly the NHL is a myth. And I mean this in referring to all sides: Owners, GM's and players. Great players get traded, great players walk away from teams to join other teams. I'm no expert on this, but it's pretty obvious to me that owners think about money and market value first as do GM's. So it's only logical that players make the most of their market value when they can, as it's not everyday they are UFA's

Of course Kessel likes Toronto. He's a young, rich hockey player for the Toronto Maple Leafs that gets VIP treatment wherever he goes from whoever he meets. I'm sure the perks of his position are many. But again, as a young hockey player approaching UFA status, that feeling of actually getting to choose where you go must be huge as it doesn't come everyday. A lot can happen in a year and judging from Kessel's past decisions with other teams from the beginning, I can see him leaving this decision to the very end to sign with another team. Could be Minnesota or another team with a sizeable hockey market. But in the end, it will be what Kessel himself thinks is good for his market value on a business standpoint. I can see this turning out like Curtis Joseph's departure. Although Joseph allegedly later regretted the move, anyone in his position would have done the same and I don't think he would change anything. In a way, I almost hope that Kessel does move on so it would force the Leafs to really build a team without depending on one guy so much.

OT but I really hope that Kessel's sister Amanda upstages him in the Olympics too. Girl's got no NHL to go back to just College Hockey. Eh, Hackey

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Yea I figured it was all in jest, hence the lol at the end. Ha.

Ever since Curtis Joseph joined the Red Wings in 2002, and later Sundin to the Canucks, it has been clear to me that since the beginning, "loyalty" in professional sports, particularly the NHL is a myth. And I mean this in referring to all sides: Owners, GM's and players. Great players get traded, great players walk away from teams to join other teams. I'm no expert on this, but it's pretty obvious to me that owners think about money and market value first as do GM's. So it's only logical that players make the most of their market value when they can, as it's not everyday they are UFA's

Of course Kessel likes Toronto. He's a young, rich hockey player for the Toronto Maple Leafs that gets VIP treatment wherever he goes from whoever he meets. I'm sure the perks of his position are many. But again, as a young hockey player approaching UFA status, that feeling of actually getting to choose where you go must be huge as it doesn't come everyday. A lot can happen in a year and judging from Kessel's past decisions with other teams from the beginning, I can see him leaving this decision to the very end to sign with another team. Could be Minnesota or another team with a sizeable hockey market. But in the end, it will be what Kessel himself thinks is good for his market value on a business standpoint. I can see this turning out like Curtis Joseph's departure. Although Joseph allegedly later regretted the move, anyone in his position would have done the same and I don't think he would change anything. In a way, I almost hope that Kessel does move on so it would force the Leafs to really build a team without depending on one guy so much.

OT but I really hope that Kessel's sister Amanda upstages him in the Olympics too. Girl's got no NHL to go back to just College Hockey. Eh, Hackey

Are you joking? Sundin wasn't signed by the Leafs which is why he signed with another team.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada

News to me.

I'm not sure how old you are but your comments seem to be that of one that is very young-not a problem.

New Flash**** Adults, especially professionals are required on a daily basis to make decisions that far exceed 8 months from now. :help:

astro7

May 20, 2013
Are you joking? Sundin wasn't signed by the Leafs which is why he signed with another team.

If you actually read my post, I mentioned him signing with the Canucks as one of the examples of player and/or GM's/Owners putting business ahead of loyalty. So yes I am aware, as why I used his situation as an example. Thanks. :)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Why would Kessel need to talk about the contract save for the end when he says "pass me a pen"? Seriously, that's what the agent gets paid big bucks for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...all this hand-wringing in the off season is ridiculous and quite frankly, annoying for me to have to read.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And if he gives his agent a set of demands, why would he need to?

Like I said if he states and means that he will not negotiate during the season. His agent can talk all he wants but he will not listen....He said this more then once. So we are left with a short window before the season or after the season before July 1st.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kessel said that HE would not negotiate during the season. He said nothing about his agent.

Wow....so does he work for his agent, or does his agent work for him? If he states that he will not negotiate during the season....then I take him at face value....and not some word twisting views of what he means. He was very Clear when he told Boston that he wants out.

We give him what he wants now, or we shop him before the trade deadline....risking him walking for nothing is really not an option.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Wow....so does he work for his agent, or does his agent work for him? If he states that he will not negotiate during the season....then I take him at face value....and not some word twisting views of what he means. He was very Clear when he told Boston that he wants out.

We give him what he wants now, or we shop him before the trade deadline....risking him walking for nothing is really not an option.

I'm not twisting his words whatsoever. Kessel pays his agent to negotiate on his behalf. Kessel himself does not do the negotiating and any "negotiating" that would take place would be over a few hundred thousand dollars...

But keep pretending the sky is falling, Chicken Little/Henny Penny. :laugh:

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I think even Kessel knows how badly he would get lynch mobbed if he walked as an UFA. Let's just believe him when he says he loves this city, we ARE the best fans in the world

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Why would Kessel need to talk about the contract save for the end when he says "pass me a pen"? Seriously, that's what the agent gets paid big bucks for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...all this hand-wringing in the off season is ridiculous and quite frankly, annoying for me to have to read.

I have good news for you... You don't "have to read" anything you don't want to.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Other than being a diehard Leafs fan, I'm a huge Pacers fan and have our star Paul George in a similar boat as Kessel... 1 year remaining on his deal.

I find it pretty interesting the difference in tone between the players/organizations.

"(A long-term contract) is going to get done," George told The Indianapolis Star. "There will be a deal signed and sealed on the table before the season. We're (George and Pacers management) on the same page."

"No," George said when asked if there was any chance he would leave the Pacers. "Honestly, I love it here. I want to be here. It's a great place. There are no distractions. I can stay focused. It's all about basketball here. I can stay focused and do my job."

I know it doesn't mean a thing when it comes to Kessel, but I'm going through the same nervousness between Kessel and George and nothing Phil's really said has calmed my nerves, unlike PG lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese