Sportsnet: Kessel and Leafs won't negotiate in-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/14/fletcher-calgary-will-love-burkes-bluster

If Phil Kessel wants to continue playing with the Leafs — and all indications are he does — it shouldn’t be all that complicated getting him signed. Assuming he plays at his usual close to point-a-game level, Kessel will fall in somewhere below Corey Perry’s $8.6 million a year and probably close to the $8.2 million Ryan Getzlaf is earning with the Anaheim Ducks ...

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Incidentally, for those wondering, here's the section from Fluto Shinzawa's piece in the Boston Globe that deals with Kessel's asking price:

Chatter around the league pegs Phil Kessel’s annual asking price at $8.5 million. That would be comparable to the eight-year, $69 million, post-lockout contract Corey Perry signed with Anaheim. It’s fair value for Kessel, and even more so if Toronto can land a legit top-line disher. If Kessel reaches the market, it’s virtually guaranteed he’ll land a seven-year contract with an average annual value north of $8 million . . .

So, if this is accurate and Phil's asking price is $8.5M, then wouldn't it be likely that he would be willing to sign for slightly less?

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
One would think so. The leafs can offer an extra guaranteed year of high earnings others can't. Sounds like they could get him signed for 8 million alright. A slight discount over ufa but nonetheless a fair deal.

Durkin67

I don't see this as a very realistic scenario at all.

These competitive types you describe usually put a lot of responsibility on themselves to lead their teams to success, (the good ones do anyway) and I think it means something for them to be the centerpiece of a winner. Look at a guy like John Tavares who is loyal to a fault to his doormat franchise. He's taking the long view and imagining himself in a Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman type guy. Considering the whole team is built around Phil, the success of the Leafs says a lot more about him as a player than if he were to go all Marian Hossa mercenary and join a successful team elsewhere.

You just dont win championships by being an army of one. I am suggesting that he wants to see the team built in such a way as to be able to compete over the long haul and you dont do that by being a one man show. Tavares is surrounded by some pretty nice talent, and they are growing as a group. The Leafs are in a similar position but after the way they lost in the playoffs, I think it's plausible that Kessel feels the organization has to demonstrate a serious commitment to success before he's comfortable with making a long term commitment. I think Nonis is motivated to keep Kessel and try to build a team around him where they can realize success as a group, and this theory explains the moves he made starting with Bozak.

Nonis doesn't expect Kessel to do it all by himself,and the idea that their success as a group is his personal responibility isn't at all realistic. He had a great season, and he acquitted himself well in the playoffs. That disheartening collapse occurred in spite of his efforts, and he likely wants to see the group make the changes necessary to prevent that kind of thing from happening again.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Incidentally, for those wondering, here's the section from Fluto Shinzawa's piece in the Boston Globe that deals with Kessel's asking price:

So, if this is accurate and Phil's asking price is $8.5M, then wouldn't it be likely that he would be willing to sign for slightly less?

nope. In most cases Leafs need to overpay to retain their players

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
One looking for a dynamic, top 10 scorer.

He would look amazing on Nashville. If we can't retain Phil, I hope he goes there. That D + G + Kessel + Wilson and Co can do some major damage.

They have 5 million in cap right now with Legwand coming off the books at the end of the year, plus 3 RFAs. How do you figure they'll fit Kessel in?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
They have 5 million in cap right now with Legwand coming off the books at the end of the year, plus 3 RFAs. How do you figure they'll fit Kessel in?

When you can add a player like Kessel without giving up assets then you ship out whoever you have to to make room.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Minnesota has Heatley's 7.5m cap hit coming off the books next year.

This is probably the most likely scenario. Going there with fellow USA guys, and closer to his home, while still playing in a hockey market.

Scary.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Read his grandparent died recently over the weekend - my condolences.

If he is serious about wanting to settle down, we can offer him the most term at practically whatever number he wants.

Would be nuts if he could re-up before the season starts since he doesn't want to do in-season.

Get it done, Nonis - two weeks away!!!

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
What team is going to give Phil over 8 million?

He's been top 5 in scoring the past 2 years... Do you have any idea how much money teams would be THROWING at him? I see a lot of teams that would LOVE to make space for an elite offensive player

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is probably the most likely scenario. Going there with fellow USA guys, and closer to his home, while still playing in a hockey market.

Scary.

What about Detroit ?

They qualify similarly to close to home in the USA and a real strong team and hockey market.

Then again Detroit is only paying their stars Datsyuk $7.5 and Zetterberg a little over $6 mil per so Kessel's desires of being one of the highest paid players in the game might not work as Holland is one of the best GMs in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad