Sportsnet: Kessel and Leafs won't negotiate in-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burdzi52

Jul 25, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Dunno if anyone else has posted this yet, so i apologize if its a repost.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kessel-doesnt-want-to-negotiate-during-season/

Phil Kessel doesn’t expect to sign a contract extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs any time soon.

The Leafs forward told reporters at the U.S. Olympic Camp Tuesday that he has not discussed a new contract with the team and he does not want to negotiate during the season.

Kessel, 25, is in the final year of his contract and is scheduled to become an unrestricted agent after the 2013-14 season.

The American sniper led the Leafs in scoring last season with a team-high 20 goals, 32 assists and 52 points in 48 games. He also added four goals and two assists in seven post-season games.

He played a major role in helping the Leafs end their post-season drought as the club made their first playoff appearance since 2003-04.

With a new division and a full 82-game season, Kessel told the Sporting News on Monday it will be more difficult for Toronto to return to the playoffs in 2013-14.

But Kessel also said he’s pleased with the Leafs’ current roster and isn’t worrying about the ongoing Nazem Kadri negotiations.

“I don’t think it’s a big deal,†Kessel told Sporting News. “I think he’ll be signed here shortly. If he’s not, he’ll be (signed) close to camp. I don’t know—we don’t really talk about that stuff. I give him a hard time once in a while, but it’s not a big deal.â€

Thoughts?

Please discuss :)

- Burdzi52

Kessley Snipes*

Pretty much expected. Right now the priority is as follows:

Kadri
Franson
Kessel
Phaneuf

I fully expect Kessel and Phaneuf to get done before they reach UFA and doubt we see either moved at the deadline.

MrLegend28*

(on kadri resigning)

“I don’t think it’s a big deal,” Kessel told Sporting News. “I think he’ll be signed here shortly. If he’s not, he’ll be (signed) close to camp. I don’t know—we don’t really talk about that stuff. I give him a hard time once in a while, but it’s not a big deal.”

if hes bugging Kadri, it doesnt sound like someone who wants to leave this team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do they quote some of the things Kessel said but not all of them?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't personally think there's anything to worry about and this is just being blown out of proportion... There haven't been any rumours or rumblings about him wanting to go play for his home team or somewhere else which is a positive.

Anyways, right now Kessel can get a rather big deal and I believe that could be one of the reasons he's saying this (possibly told by his agent) as he has just had 2 ppg seasons and the cap is expected to jump huge next year. By him saying that he won't negotiate during the season it may be a tactic to get Nonis to sign him now.

If they wait until next year there's a little more risk. Kessel could have a poor year, get injured, the cap could jump less than expected, etc. While if he has a similar year to his last 2 (around a ppg and ~35 goals) he won't get too much more than he would right now (perhaps a little more, but nothing too significant).

IMO this could easily just be a tactic to get maximum $, but there's also the possibility he just doesn't want to be distracted with it (which most people would see as a good thing).

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Kessel doens't speak with subliminal messages but people constantly over analyze everything he says.

I think Kessel is sincere about loving the city and the fans but I think the success of the team next season may play a factor in his desire to stay in Toronto. If they do poorly, he may just let the money do the talking for him which could lead him elsewhere. If they do well, maybe it'll be enough for him to sign a deal that he feels is fair and not even bother hitting FA. I haven't seen the UFA list for next year but someone of Kessel's calibre, I would think he would be highly coveted if he made it to FA.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't personally think there's anything to worry about and this is just being blown out of proportion... There haven't been any rumours or rumblings about him wanting to go play for his home team or somewhere else which is a positive.

Anyways, right now Kessel can get a rather big deal and I believe that could be one of the reasons he's saying this (possibly told by his agent) as he has just had 2 ppg seasons and the cap is expected to jump huge next year. By him saying that he won't negotiate during the season it may be a tactic to get Nonis to sign him now.

If they wait until next year there's a little more risk. Kessel could have a poor year, get injured, the cap could jump less than expected, etc. While if he has a similar year to his last 2 (around a ppg and ~35 goals) he won't get too much more than he would right now (perhaps a little more, but nothing too significant).

IMO this could easily just be a tactic to get maximum $, but there's also the possibility he just doesn't want to be distracted with it (which most people would see as a good thing).

His agent would just tell Nonis this not hope that he reads Sportsnet.

Burdzi52

Jul 25, 2013
Toronto, Ontario

precisely... let him focus on scoring goals instead of dollar signs.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
He’ll get more if he waits till next off-season where he’ll likely have another PPG season under his belt, the salary cap will be known, and threat of hitting UFA is a lot closer.

I imagine he'll want to stay in Toronto compared to another team, but make no mistake, he will get paid. He might take a little discount, but he won't get less then $8 million.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
if the price is already at long term and around 8 per then whats the risk from the Leafs perspective to wait until next offseason

he walks for nothing but if he has on off year you might be able to get him for less. if he's ppg again you're still paying the same

tough one to judge , i'd take the year

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not exactly great news but if the Leafs continue to do well on the ice it's hard to see Kessel just walking out on the team that's been built using him as the foundation.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

This is a complete disaster! Everything I was afraid of is now coming true!!!

If Kessel wanted to re-sign here he would do it soon. He's going to leave next offseason, just watch, and we will be left with nothing.

This is so horrible. He's our best player and is probably tired of the *******s in the Toronto media and tired of the team not being too competitive. Watch him get crazy money from Philadelphia and go there or to New York or something.

He's my favourite player.

I'm so upset right now. :cry:

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Am I the only one who's not comfortable with contract talks being put off til after the season? That is a lot of time for things to go wrong imho...

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

If Kessel wanted to re-sign here he would do it soon. He's going to leave next offseason, just watch, and we will be left with nothing.

This is so horrible. He's our best player and is probably tired of the *******s in the Toronto media and tired of the team not being too competitive. Watch him get crazy money from Philadelphia and go there or to New York or something.

My sentiments are the same. We have seen this movie before with players telling the team that they won't negotiate, they want to focus on playing. The fact is, I think they made up their mind to leave town.

This will turn out to be another Parise, Sutter type of situation, where they'll walk for nothing.

If I'm Nonis, I would start making some calls.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

MOD

Saw this coming, guess we'll know by next off season if were going into another rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
His agent would just tell Nonis this not hope that he reads Sportsnet.

I do believe he wants to just focus on playing and that's why he said that.... but if what I said was true, why on earth would his agent say to Nonis "We want to sign now because this is when we can get the most money"?

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Saw this coming, guess we'll know by next off season if were going into another rebuild.

MOD

i am right to be upset about this. this is horrible. we finally didn't miss the playoffs again and it looked like the team was getting better. then this. this is the sort of thing that could set us back years.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
um, i'm not 13 and i'm not 14 either.

i am right to be upset about this. this is horrible. we finally didn't miss the playoffs again and it looked like the team was getting better. then this. this is the sort of thing that could set us back years.

"Then this"

what do you mean by "this".

It sounds like you're blindly assuming Kessel has stated he will refuse to resign in TO. Which couldn't be further from the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille