Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To the people who are crapping on this thread I ask this:

What did you want with Phil Kessel and his contract? Keep him throughout the contract? OR what did you want to trade him for?

To those who absolutely love this trade I ask this:

You do realize we lost an elite goal-scorer who could change a game in a blink of an eye, right? That is irreplaceable and the guy produced. Can't deny that.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I think the thing people need to take away from this deal and the way things have played out in and around Phil in the past.

The thing is there isn’t a right or wrong answer one way or another regarding Phil, the short comings, his attitude, etc are all somewhat true. Just like I’m sure he gets hammered on unfairly at times. If there is one thing now that we have seen THREE times, it’s that PK has a very limited shelf life. It is what it is.

This could go down as a “oh well we dumped him without a major anchor coming back” or it could be a “HOLY SHIT AG is awesome here with Geno!!” I’m fine overall we see how the TEAM shapes up... the key word is we need to build a TEAM not a collection of good players that don’t fit or have roles / function in the grand scheme of winning.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
There's still a move or two to come, before we bash this deal let's see how things play out over the next week or so. We got younger, added a good D prospect and gained cap space without having much leverage in the process. Yes we gave up the best player in the deal, and certainly that's a concern, but I still hold out some hope that when it's all said and done this summer, we're moving in the right direction.
Agreed. I'm not crazy about AG or his contract status but let's let this play out.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Btw if JR got younger just to sign a 30+ year old to some dumb contract, JR should be ridiculed for it. But if the idea was to open up cap space and continue the idea of young/speed... then i'm in. I understand the concept.

But if a guy like Simmonds is paid here.. YEESH.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For all the "Galchenyuk was on a bad team!" apologists, just keep in mind that he finished 10th on the Coyotes in ES points, behind such scoring luminaries as Panik, Cousins, Crouse, Richardson, and our old production powerhouse, Josh Archibald:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

But I'm sure Kessel only outscored all of them because he was playing with Malkin, too.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I do not like Galchenyuk. He was not a player I wanted to target for Phil at all. He has all of Phil's warts with none of his assets. I would be ecstatic if we somehow flipped him to Minnesota for Zucker.

I hope Joseph is good because otherwise I just can't see this as fair.

I also hope JR doesn't dump all that cap space on some top 9 forward on Monday.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Btw if JR got younger just to sign a 30+ year old to some dumb contract, JR should be ridiculed for it. But if the idea was to open up cap space and continue the idea of young/speed... then i'm in. I understand the concept.

But if a guy like Simmonds is paid here.. YEESH.

I would prefer not to feel a sharp blast of anxiety again like I just did, so if you could go ahead and not ever type that last sentence ever again that would be awesome. Thanks, ColePens.

Reactions: ColePens

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I look at it like this.

If the reports are true, it seems like both the Penguins and Kessel were sick of each other. Sullivan wanted Kessel to play on the third line, Kessel wanted to play with Malkin. Malkin didn't like playing with Kessel and that caused problems. We all know how much of a defensive albatross that line was, so it's obvious why Sullivan wanted those two apart.

I understand that Galchenyuk has similar issues to Kessel, while not being as productive. I think he's better defensively and I think as long as there's no rift between him and Malkin, there shouldn't be an issue. If worse comes to worse, you let the guy walk and hope Joseph turns into a good player. I think Galchenyuk is capable of 20-25 goals and 50-60 points on this team. While it's not close to what Kessel produced for the Penguins last season, it's most likely not much more than he'll produce in Arizona. Arizona needed a player to push them in the playoffs, the Penguins wanted to get younger and rid themselves of a disgruntled player. Simple as that.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Guentzel-Crosby, Galchenyuk-Malkin, and McCann-Bjugstad is a solid base for your top three lines. Galchenyuk may be similar to Kessel but I feel like we have the right RWers to make that line work. The only player I could see making Kessel-Malkin work was McCann.

It is too bad that Domi wasn’t still on the Coyotes. Switch him with Galchenyuk and I think people really like this trade.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I think Galchenyuk on his strong side feeding Geno is going to be good for both of them. I'm not sure if Geno has ever had a really good distributor on his left side to get him the puck in a better position to shoot.

Shoot-first/ goal scoring Geno is an engaged Geno, and engaged Geno is a MAJOR difference maker (Let's just hope Rust is up to the task of carrying those 2 defensively like Dupuis and Hagelin used to do for their lines).

This deal also gives the top-9 wingers more defined roles, which I don't think enough people are talking about. Rust, Guentzel and McCann shouldn't have to switch sides much, if at all, this year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The so-called drama thing never bothered me so much because I always saw Phil as almost an island unto himself in a way. Streaky player who will get you an average of a point a game. Very consistent, and I doubt that changes over the next couple of years. If you expect anything else be disappointed.

I think that he does fine in Arizona with the same caveats.

As for the trade it will hinge on whether P O Joseph developes. That he is 6'2" and 165 at age 19 doesn't bother me. It will be up to the Pens to put some weight on him. If he does develop then the trade will tilt the Pens way, but that is at least two years off.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
To the people who are crapping on this thread I ask this:

What did you want with Phil Kessel and his contract? Keep him throughout the contract? OR what did you want to trade him for?

To those who absolutely love this trade I ask this:

You do realize we lost an elite goal-scorer who could change a game in a blink of an eye, right? That is irreplaceable and the guy produced. Can't deny that.
Sometimes you can make the right move for the wrong reasons. I don’t know how the pieces the Pens acquired will work out. I do know that this was probably the Penguins last chance to move his contract as an asset and not a dump.

I think it was probably the right time to move him. I do not believe they moved him for the reasons I would have moved him, and that concerns me, because it smacks of something personal

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Guentzel-Crosby, Galchenyuk-Malkin, and McCann-Bjugstad is a solid base for your top three lines. Galchenyuk may be similar to Kessel but I feel like we have the right RWers to make that line work. The only player I could see making Kessel-Malkin work was McCann.

It is too bad that Domi wasn’t still on the Coyotes. Switch him with Galchenyuk and I think people really like this trade.

sorry we beat ya to him...we love our Domi lol

Gally27, defensive side of his game has always been the weak spot from day 1.... maybe the Pens head coach can fix that dunno. Hope he does well for you guys, i liked him in Montreal, but the coaches didn't ...lol

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sometimes you can make the right move for the wrong reasons. I don’t know how the pieces the Pens acquired will work out. I do know that this was probably the Penguins last chance to move his contract as an asset and not a dump.

I think it was probably the right time to move him. I do not believe they moved him for the reasons I would have moved him, and that concerns me, because it smacks of something personal

We've been having this discussion for the last two years, so I know for a fact you thought the right time to move him was much earlier (last summer at latest).

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Meh, Kessel = two Stanley cups.

We knew, the day he was traded to the Penguins that it wasn’t going to last, but acquiring the guy helped cement two more championships.

After everything, I think Galchenyuk and this prospect Arizona fans are pissed about giving up is a decent return for a guy like Kessel, who’s prime years are behind him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m just excited to see what JR does from here. Really hope it’s either crushingly depressing or just straight up genius.

I actually am fairly certain one of those things will happen. Which one?

giphy.gif

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The money is on the youth and this is the gamble I wanted to see the team take. The reason we struggled during the Sid/G era is not having that 3rd elite forward to kill it. 81 came in and we won Cups. No shock. Jake can be that guy now. And then we have Gals, McCann, Kahun, and even Bjugs. All 26 and younger. It's insane to think that the team has that many youngins. Teddy B and ZAR are also young. Simon is young.

Now please keep this the focus.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Kessel was the still the same guy that helped us win the Cups, I don;t think he would have been traded. Organizations will only tolerate so much BS.

Don't kid yourself, Kessel did himself zero favors to try to stay in Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad