Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In 154 games over the last 2 seasons, Galchenyuk has 48 ES points and 44 PP points.

Most of those PP points were scored on the 1st PP unit (2:56 per in MTL, 3:10 per in ARZ), where he lined up in the right half-circle, where one of Sid or Geno always sets up shop.

He's not getting that spot or that sort of time on our PP. How is Galchenyuk making huge strides in his production here, again?

Dude, the trade is done. Who cares what his stats were? They weren't with the Penguins.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
A little more from last Summer

Hulton said he saw progress in multiple areas of Pierre-Olivier Joseph's game.
"The most obvious thing was his shot, which became a valuable weapon," Hulton said. "He's still growing into his offense. I think there's another layer he can add, but we saw a new dimension this year in terms of him joining the rush and being way more confident coming from behind. That's what gets everybody excited is his ability to read the play and join the rush because that's the modern-day defenseman."

Joseph has taken notes from his past two development camps, among them the importance of stick and body positioning in the defensive zone, and the need to pounce on pucks.
"The guys are really fast here and you have to move your feet," he said. "I had the chance to work with the skating coach back in Charlottetown. That's what we were working on a lot, just quick feet and how to retrieve the puck as fast as possible because these guys are coming hard.
Joseph hoping heavier frame will lead to future Coyotes roster spot

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
6′2 and 76kg... do you even eat and lift bro?
:laugh:

"We had a running joke that every time we did a video meeting he'd have three or four peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in his hand," Charlottetown coach and general manager Jim Hulton said. "Every time I looked, this kid was eating."

Joseph, who stands 6-foot-2, lived with the team's nutritionist, who prepared meals. He also worked with Charlottetown athletic therapist Kevin Elliott to add bulk.
The outcome?
"I'll say two pounds," Joseph said, laughing.

Get this kid some roids.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Wouldnt Kessel's NTC have been a problem last year as well? Or did he basically make himself un-tradeable only this season?
He could always manipulate it to make it as hard as possible for the Pens, but last year there would have been more than 2 or 3 heavily-interested parties.

I also don’t fully buy the one tweet out there that it was Arizona and 7 teams the Pens won’t trade with. Mostly because I can’t name 7 teams they won’t trade with. It was probably Arizona and 7 teams who have no interest in Phil (Toronto and Boston were probably 1 and 2). Last year, I think it would have been harder to find those 5 (Toronto and Boston are the given two)

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Wouldnt Kessel's NTC have been a problem last year as well? Or did he basically make himself un-tradeable only this season?

JR had discussions with Nashville twice last season (2018 pre season and again in November 2018). Not sure why none of it didn’t go anywhere though (Vegas too at some stage before they got Stone).

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
For all the "Galchenyuk was on a bad team!" apologists, just keep in mind that he finished 10th on the Coyotes in ES points, behind such scoring luminaries as Panik, Cousins, Crouse, Richardson, and our old production powerhouse, Josh Archibald:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

But I'm sure Kessel only outscored all of them because he was playing with Malkin, too.
Kessel was an excellent playoff performer as well.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think theres a chance this is a better TEAM with Galy+Kahun added up front with Olli subtracted in the back.
They really gotta go in making JJ expendable/an extra tho.

If Galy doesn't work out, you can simply Brassard him so theres some flexibility there. If he does and meshes with Geno, then fantastic.

Again i'll remind people the leverage Phil had and another thing is all those GDT's where alot of us we're completely done with the guy(Phil). He most certainly wanted outta here AND he held all the cards.

I'm not super excited about Galy but willing to take him for a spin to see if things mesh.
I am happy a clearly unhappy Phil won't be causing issues anymore tho.
Onward we go...

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I was definitely in the keep Kessel in Pittsburgh camp, that being said much has come out recently and looks like the situation was unavoidable. It was more so not if but when.

Still think Phil will have some nice productive years moving forward and love or hate his laziness the guy didn't miss games. Was on a great contract. I was a pretty big Phil fan and wish him the best.

That all being said I'm ok with the return....Phil was't staying and we opened up some valuable cap space. Alex Galchenyuk was a highly rated player coming into the 2012 draft. If you look at the draft (it was a pretty weak draft) many of the stars from it have just hit their stride and made a name for themselves in the league. There is still time for Alex to live up to some of the expectations when drafted 3rd overall. I think there is some potential there. We also added a solid prospect in P.O. Joseph which helps because our D pool is pretty weak. Joseph has some promise, works hard, is a leader and plays a good all around game.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
I love how the **** are all like we are issue proof. We had issues on the team before kessel and we will after. Culture isn't new guys that need to be out.

People ****ting on Kessel, wow. Same dumb stupid ignorant ****s that rode his jock when the team won back to back.

Bunch of fair weather pieces of ****s.

Not to beat my own drum, but I said my peace on PK. He will be missed. Everyone remember the team in 2011-12? Welcome back to games were we need a goalie to stand on his head to win games again.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I feel this trade is a win-win for both teams. I love getting another defensive prospect for the pens since Addison is their top prospect not currently on the pens roster. Rutherford did well for having his hands tied with Kessel limited no trade clause plus if Galchenyuk doesn’t work out for the pens; he can be traded at the deadline or the draft. I agree with others on this site that Rutherford is going to make another trade prior to training camp.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Finally a lot of people with the level-headed approach. It's done now and we all knew it could go down like this as soon as we traded for him. In fact.. a lot of people called this the best case scenario. Win cups with him and move on before it gets too late. We shall see. Like @3ladesof5teel - i was in a "keep kessel" boat but I was also okay with a move like this if it got us younger and made sense. To me - this makes lots of sense because our "risk" of Gals is so f***ing tiny. If he sucks this year, oh well. Move on. If he clicks w/ G.... wonderful. Awesome stuff.

I know we are like 3 days from this being ruined, but I see a lot of under 26 guys and I like that. But we HAVE to get JJ out of here.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For all the "Galchenyuk was on a bad team!" apologists, just keep in mind that he finished 10th on the Coyotes in ES points, behind such scoring luminaries as Panik, Cousins, Crouse, Richardson, and our old production powerhouse, Josh Archibald:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

But I'm sure Kessel only outscored all of them because he was playing with Malkin, too.

Since defensemen play more minutes than forwards, let's just look at forwards for ice-time for a moment.
Among Coyotes forwards, Galchenyuk was 9th in even strength scoring. He was also 9th in even strength time on ice.

As it turns out, despite there being 9 defensemen who averaged more even strength time on ice per game than Galchenyuk, only one (Ekman-Larsson) was above Galchenyuk in even strength points.

Galchenyuk was 3rd on the Coyotes for Power Play Time on Ice, though, at 3:10 per game, which helped contribute to him being tied for 2nd in points per game on the team.

Of course, Galchenyuk's 0.57 points/game would only place 5th on the Pens this past season (Crosby 1.27, Malkin 1.06, Kessel 1.00, Guentzel 0.93; Hornqvist was next at 0.54).

All of this goes to show that it's pretty easy to cherry pick stats to support whatever narrative you want. Yes, Galchenyuk is a downgrade from Kessel on offense. But he's not bad at even strength. Half his points came at even strength, after all.

Galchenyuk has never played with a center remotely close to the caliber of Crosby or Malkin, and since he's still in his prime, it's not unreasonable to think that his production should increase a little with the superior line-mates he'll have here. He won't match Kessel, but he should be better than he was in MTL or ARI.

Reactions: Riptide

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Hope JR has some more moves up sleeve because there will probably be a few more teams in the east who will be better than the Pens this coming season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why bother evaluating any move the team makes?

Why go on a message board at all?

Because right now you're arguing against a ghost. You can cite the fact that Galchenyuk scores less than Kessel. No one is going to debate it or argue it.

Doesn't change the fact that he's here and Kessel is gone.

Reactions: Dominance

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I almost carry an entire Post Office Joe in each hand when I do farmer's walk at the gym. That's terrifying.

This kid's going to get hit by someone like Clutterbuck and explode into particles like Mega Man when he dies.

Reactions: Doogle and gn2007

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Since defensemen play more minutes than forwards, let's just look at forwards for ice-time for a moment.
Among Coyotes forwards, Galchenyuk was 9th in even strength scoring. He was also 9th in even strength time on ice.

As it turns out, despite there being 9 defensemen who averaged more even strength time on ice per game than Galchenyuk, only one (Ekman-Larsson) was above Galchenyuk in even strength points.

Galchenyuk was 3rd on the Coyotes for Power Play Time on Ice, though, at 3:10 per game, which helped contribute to him being tied for 2nd in points per game on the team.

Of course, Galchenyuk's 0.57 points/game would only place 5th on the Pens this past season (Crosby 1.27, Malkin 1.06, Kessel 1.00, Guentzel 0.93; Hornqvist was next at 0.54).

All of this goes to show that it's pretty easy to cherry pick stats to support whatever narrative you want. Yes, Galchenyuk is a downgrade from Kessel on offense. But he's not bad at even strength. Half his points came at even strength, after all.

Galchenyuk has never played with a center remotely close to the caliber of Crosby or Malkin, and since he's still in his prime, it's not unreasonable to think that his production should increase a little with the superior line-mates he'll have here. He won't match Kessel, but he should be better than he was in MTL or ARI.

1. Galchenyuk's averaged 24 ES points per season the last 2 years, which isn't good by any scoring wing standard.

2. Last season, Galchenyuk played more ES minutes and was outproduced in absolute terms by the likes of Archibald and Richardson, and had comparable or lower ES points per minute than guys like Cousins and Panik.

These are not cherry-picked stats to support a narrative. These are numbers that show how Galchenyuk produced relative to his Coyotes teammates (who nobody would confuse with good scoring wings) outside of his inflated PP totals, which he won't have here.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1. Galchenyuk's averaged 24 ES points per season the last 2 years, which isn't good by any scoring wing standard.

2. Last season, Galchenyuk played more ES minutes and was outproduced in absolute terms by the likes of Archibald and Richardson, and had comparable or lower ES points per minute than guys like Cousins and Panik.

These are not cherry-picked stats to support a narrative. These are numbers that show how Galchenyuk produced relative to his Coyotes teammates (who nobody would confuse with good scoring wings) outside of his inflated PP totals, which he won't have here.

Again, so what? He's here, Kessel is with Arizona now.

What exactly are you arguing?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Sorry missed your response that Hornqvist has a full no trade clause earlier..Guess about exhausted the discussion out of this trade...Guess we gotta wait and see what Rutherford comes up with...As it currently stands this team got a little bit worse...Need to open up a bit more cap space with a trade JJ or Gud .

I feel like Hornqvist will go perma-LTIR before the end of the season, sadly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because right now you're arguing against a ghost. You can cite the fact that Galchenyuk scores less than Kessel. No one is going to debate it or argue it.

Doesn't change the fact that he's here and Kessel is gone.

Who's trying to change the fact that he's gone? I'm disputing people who were saying it's a good move based on the numbers, which is something people do on message boards.

Is this, like, a new development for you? Welcome to HF.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Get your rebuild pants on....

That's what they are closer to then winning another cup.

It's ova!!!

Nothing is ova!!!

It's ova!!!

Nothing is ova!!!

SHUT!!!!

UP!!!!

Get outta my head!!!!

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Finally a lot of people with the level-headed approach. It's done now and we all knew it could go down like this as soon as we traded for him. In fact.. a lot of people called this the best case scenario. Win cups with him and move on before it gets too late. We shall see. Like @3ladesof5teel - i was in a "keep kessel" boat but I was also okay with a move like this if it got us younger and made sense. To me - this makes lots of sense because our "risk" of Gals is so ****ing tiny. If he sucks this year, oh well. Move on. If he clicks w/ G.... wonderful. Awesome stuff.

I know we are like 3 days from this being ruined, but I see a lot of under 26 guys and I like that. But we HAVE to get JJ out of here.
Yup look at the roster now

Jake 24
Galchenyuk 25
Bjug 26

Rust 27
McCann 23
Kahun 23

Simon 24
Teddy 24
ZAR 24

Petts 23
Riikola 25

Dumo and Guds 27

Murray 25
Desmith 27

Only 5 players are above 30 and one of them is JMFJ. 32 is the oldest.
Bolded are new additions. Kind of impressive youth movement when you see it laid out

Last edited:

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Who's trying to change the fact that he's gone? I'm disputing people who were saying it's a good move based on the numbers, which is something people do on message boards.

Is this, like, a new development for you? Welcome to HF.

Just so we're clear, what did you want JR to do with Phil? And if the answer is keep him, where would you have played him if you were Sullivan?

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->