Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If Kessel was the still the same guy that helped us win the Cups, I don;t think he would have been traded. Organizations will only tolerate so much BS.

Don't kid yourself, Kessel did himself zero favors to try to stay in Pittsburgh.
I completely disagree with this.

I would characterize it like this:

The penguins are the dude who knows he has to say goodbye to a friend, but he can’t really handle it, so he starts picking fights over every little thing until he and the friend don’t want to be around each other anymore.

Kessel is who he is. He just put up 82 points while the overall team floundered. Team defense, not Kessel defense, suffered this past year. The criticisms of Phil’s game this past year are the same ones you could make when he was a leaf. The Penguins only care now because they need something else.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Sorry missed your response that Hornqvist has a full no trade clause earlier..Guess about exhausted the discussion out of this trade...Guess we gotta wait and see what Rutherford comes up with...As it currently stands this team got a little bit worse...Need to open up a bit more cap space with a trade JJ or Gud .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The money is on the youth and this is the gamble I wanted to see the team take. The reason we struggled during the Sid/G era is not having that 3rd elite forward to kill it. 81 came in and we won Cups. No shock. Jake can be that guy now. And then we have Gals, McCann, Kahun, and even Bjugs. All 26 and younger. It's insane to think that the team has that many youngins. Teddy B and ZAR are also young. Simon is young.

Now please keep this the focus.

Well, it will at least exist as the focus for JR for longer than the now defunct rebooted HFWF exist.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We've been having this discussion for the last two years, so I know for a fact you thought the right time to move him was much earlier (last summer at latest).
Yeah, but I can understand why they didn’t after a 92-point season. But he had real, window-altering value last year. Now the Pens just parlayed his production and contract into cap space. Doesn’t exactly move my needle.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but I can understand why they didn’t after a 92-point season. But he had real, window-altering value last year. Now the Pens just parlayed his production and contract into cap space. Doesn’t exactly move my needle.

No, but it probably was the best they were going to do under the circumstances.

Still curious (and scared) as to what JR does on Monday. And I still think moving Jack Johnson is a big key to the game, regardless of what happened with Phil or happens on Monday.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The penguins are the dude who knows he has to say goodbye to a friend, but he can’t really handle it, so he starts picking fights over every little thing until he and the friend don’t want to be around each other anymore.

Kessel is who he is. He just put up 82 points while the overall team floundered. Team defense, not Kessel defense, suffered this past year. The criticisms of Phil’s game this past year are the same ones you could make when he was a leaf. The Penguins only care now because they need something else.

I'll agree to that to an extent. I'd just add "The friend is picking fight over stuff that's been bothering them for quite awhile but are just now bringing up".

I certainly don't think the angst against Phil is being made up out of thin air.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Weird comparison but it's like a relationship ending so you pick apart small thigns to end it when it was really just ending regardless. Totally had that feel.

And yeah the one thing that drives me up a f***ing wall is when 81's defense was blamed when it was a team defense issue. And Sid was seriously one of the laziest at the end of the season.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019

I agree with you

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Im looking/hoping for an impact similar to that of that Neal trade

I think JR said something like that earlier this week in his press conference too. Which also gives me a weird feeling that Galchenyuk is gonna be flipped.

Pens at the time had a glaring need for a net-front presence and some grit. Dealt Neal to land the prototype.

Pens now have a glaring need to get back to having elite skaters up front. Dealt Kessel for (assets to get) a guy known for his skating in Zucker? We'll see!

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
We all better hope Sully shows his worth with Chucky. If he does not get that player going then this trade is an absolute bust. He has a lot of versatility/options with the forward group so there really should be no excuse.

POJ is a good project, but he's a project. Always was a project and he still needs to add considerable weight before we even think of slotting him into the lineup.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Weird comparison but it's like a relationship ending so you pick apart small thigns to end it when it was really just ending regardless. Totally had that feel.

And yeah the one thing that drives me up a ****ing wall is when 81's defense was blamed when it was a team defense issue. And Sid was seriously one of the laziest at the end of the season.
Every single Pens forward is capable of being a hard worker, but their defense stems from their puck possession flow. I think Malkin is the one exception, where he can struggle with the puck and then flip a switch and just be a dog on a bone in the d zone all night. But the rest of em, if they aren’t touching the puck, getting it with speed, controlling it, etc... they really start to check out. Sid is definitely the worst. You can watch the first 5 minutes of a game and have a decent feel for how Sid will play

Reactions: BillPrep and KIRK

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Every single Pens forward is capable of being a hard worker, but their defense stems from their puck possession flow. I think Malkin is the one exception, where he can struggle with the puck and then flip a switch and just be a dog on a bone in the d zone all night. But the rest of em, if they aren’t touching the puck, getting it with speed, controlling it, etc... they really start to check out. Sid is definitely the worst. You can watch the first 5 minutes of a game and have a decent feel for how Sid will play
Oops, meant to tie it into how poorly the Pens D retrieved and moved the puck last year. Sid pouts.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We all better hope Sully shows his worth with Chucky. If he does not get that player going then this trade is an absolute bust. He has a lot of versatility/options with the forward group so there really should be no excuse.

POJ is a good project, but he's a project. Always was a project and he still needs to add considerable weight before we even think of slotting him into the lineup.
Sullivan's proven he's an awesome coach for players who are new to him and his voice. We've seen it time and time again. It's only when that initial phase wears off and they get bored of him regurgitating the same crap repeatedly...that's when he loses a good soldier.

I expect a strong year from Galchenyuk.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
This trade kind of reminds me of Edmonton trading Eberle for Strome. Trading away a pure offensive player who sucks at defense looks lazy for the same thing with half the offense. Hope we have a plan to make up for that secondary scoring loss. At least we got a prospect who may be decent.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
A few quotes

“There’s not enough that can be said about P.O. Joseph,” assistant general manager Guy Girouard said. “He’s such a great person, not to mention his hockey abilities.”

“He’s been great to the organization,” Girouard said. “He came in with no big expectation as a fifth-round pick and just kept surprising everybody.”

Joseph, a six-foot-two, 168-pound, left-shot defenceman from Chambly, Que., has seven goals and 18 assists for 25 points in 27 games this season. He is well known for his charismatic smile and demeanour, his work ethic and leadership ability.

“He sets the tone in the dressing room,” Girouard said. “He’s a competitor. . . (and) his hockey IQ is off the charts.”
Charlottetown Islanders trade P.O. Joseph to Drummondville | The Guardian

Reactions: Peat and Dominance

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The money is on the youth and this is the gamble I wanted to see the team take. The reason we struggled during the Sid/G era is not having that 3rd elite forward to kill it. 81 came in and we won Cups. No shock. Jake can be that guy now. And then we have Gals, McCann, Kahun, and even Bjugs. All 26 and younger. It's insane to think that the team has that many youngins. Teddy B and ZAR are also young. Simon is young.

Now please keep this the focus.
They have to do this with the D, first one down Maata..But more gradually.

Reactions: ColePens

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In 154 games over the last 2 seasons, Galchenyuk has 48 ES points and 44 PP points.

Most of those PP points were scored on the 1st PP unit (2:56 per in MTL, 3:10 per in ARZ), where he lined up in the right half-circle, where one of Sid or Geno always sets up shop.

He's not getting that spot or that sort of time on our PP. How is Galchenyuk making huge strides in his production here, again?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This trade kind of reminds me of Edmonton trading Eberle for Strome. Trading away a pure offensive player who sucks at defense looks lazy for the same thing with half the offense. Hope we have a plan to make up for that secondary scoring loss. At least we got a prospect who may be decent.
What concerns me is that Galchenyuk is horrible defensively too, up to this point. Maybe Sullivan can get more out of him.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Wouldnt Kessel's NTC have been a problem last year as well? Or did he basically make himself un-tradeable only this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad