Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do think the Penguins need a right handed, RW replacement for Kessel. I think Crosby's RW is only a slightly smaller hole than Malkin's LW, so you definitely have a spot for a RHS in your lineup. I just don't think Kessel was even remotely that, at least at ES. Kessel may be a big need on the powerplay, but at ES, he just didn't have a spot here.

In a perfect world, I think you need to get another Rust for McCann's RW, another Guentzel for Malkin's LW and a player like Marchand (a less good version of Marchand of course) for Crosby's RW.

For all the talk about Kessel's supposed ineffectiveness at ES, we're not going to be able to add anyone near as productive as Kessel at ES in that role. That ship has sailed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dont see why we couldnt gave played this way with Kessel here if we had the same injection of Marino, Lafferty, Blueger, Tanev etc.

Not like Galchenyuk has prevented it despite his shortcomings. Biggest difference is that one can score and the other can't.
By score you mean put up assists right? Because Kessel hasn’t been doing much scoring in 2019. 6 ES goals this year and 13 total goals in 63 games.

272nd in the league in terms of ES goals. Tied with.. Alex Galchenyuk in terms of total goals since January 1st... for 144th in the league.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
(Narrator)

"Emboldened by his powerplay success, the Soggy Biscuit proceeds to make the audacious argument that his favorite player remains good at even-strength. Danger lurks. Let's see how this ends."

(/Narrator)

Reactions: Tender Rip

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Oh, I'm not ripping on Geno or anything. He's still an elite talent when he's on. I just miss the days of him entering the zone, getting to the circle and cutting into the slot to fire off a shot topside against the grain.

I think that's the big thing he's really "lost", so to speak. He's far more prone to take long, looping routes before trying to find an open guy for a one-timer as opposed to trying to score himself on any given shift. Not that it's really bad, per se, but I do feel like he's lost a good amount of threat to score because of his inability or unwillingness to go for the throat and try to fire off a shot.
I think youe are onto something, There is a loss of explosivness no question, but there are also some creeping habits that are hard to explain. There was a play last night where he did exactly that, unleashed a wrister unfortunately missed the target,

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Geno hasn’t lost his shot...he just chooses not to use it...I love the speculation in here...the only thing Geno has lost is some foot speed and with it his confidence....when he can’t get around the D men, he doesn’t get into positions to score and he loses confidence in his shot...loss of speed is also directly related to the stick penalties he takes...let’s not just make up **** just make up ****
I think the same, its him not getting in position and awful PP that can't set him for a onetimer

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
just watch him...the last year + there are D men who play him tight...he looks like he’s being played much tighter than he was in the past...that’s not really because he is..it’s because the D men have gotten younger/faster and his speed has declined...he rarely gets a good look at the net and on the rare 2 on 1 , he’s usually being covered or it looks like he doesn’t think he can get the shot off quick enough... but you see him get off the shot off fine on the PP where he’s not pressured that directly...it’s really about his skating, not a physical problem with the shoulder...
absolutely right...I watch Kane the other night and he seemed always open...Geno always have someone in his nose....the other thing that does not help is our playing style, puck behind the defenders and grinding, like perfect game for Sid but not for Geno, I think Suly knows that and he was just the other day speaking about how actually he WANTS Geno to play East West (for lack of better words) just to be more responsible tracking back

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Gusev that is producing at the same level as Galchenyuk right now? That Gusev?

Yep that Gusev. Also the Gusev who's played 15 NHL games total, all with the worst team in the league rather than shotgun with an all-time great center.

By score you mean put up assists right? Because Kessel hasn’t been doing much scoring in 2019. 6 ES goals this year and 13 total goals in 63 games.

272nd in the league in terms of ES goals. Tied with.. Alex Galchenyuk in terms of total goals since January 1st... for 144th in the league.

rolleyes.gif

Score, as in score points. It is curious though to see the focus exclusively on goals when it comes to Kessel, and then see how the focus shifts exclusively to points when it comes to Gusev vs. Galchenyuk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yep that Gusev. Also the Gusev who's played 15 NHL games total, all with the worst team in the league rather than shotgun with an all-time great center.

rolleyes.gif

Score, as in score points. It is curious though to see the focus exclusively on goals when it comes to Kessel, and then see how the focus shifts exclusively to points when it comes to Gusev vs. Galchenyuk.

What do you mean by “roll eyes gifs”? Kessel has been junk for 60+ games and is not worth his contract.

Kessel is paid 8 million dollars to score goals. Not get secondary assists.

Galchenyuk and Gusev are 5 million dollar players that are expected to be support wingers.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Soggy:
fid19569_1.jpg

Pixies:
411full.jpg

The rest of us:
source.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What do you mean by “roll eyes gifs”? Kessel has been junk for 60+ games and is not worth his contract.

Kessel is paid 8 million dollars to score goals. Not get secondary assists.

Galchenyuk and Gusev are 5 million dollar players that are expected to be support wingers.

Kessel is paid to produce, which he does year-in and year-out no matter what arbitrary parsing you want to engage in that day, and your standard for offensive performance is changing depending on which player is being discussed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Are people gonna whine about Kessel not being on this team for years to come despite a growing mountain of evidence that it was the right move (and probably came too late, tbh), like people still whine about MAF not being on this team?

Kessel's gone, boys. He stinks it up in Arizona, with his preferred zoo keeper behind the bench. He got his name on the Cup to go with the ton of money he's made, and stopped giving a shit. I'd be willing to bet that if you could get one honest answer out of him in private and you asked if he'd rather be playing hockey and gunning for a Cup or playing poker, he'd pick poker 100% of the time. And that's not a ridiculous DK/Rossi/Mackey/Steve Simmons smear campaign angle. That's a legit, "Kessel won his Cups, made his money and stopped caring" take.

The dude cared for two seasons, the ones where we won back to back Cups, and hasn't given a damn since. :laugh: He quit on this team and was a temperamental headcase, but people still want him back for some reason. Again, give me POJ and the ~$7 million in cap space over keeping Kessel. Dude's a bum.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Drooling over a Galchenyuk for Gusev trade. JR should explore that. Goose is stuck on a bad team. Remember Geno and him having decent Chemistry in the worlds.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It'd be nice if the Devils weren't a divisional opponent with our old GM manning the ship. They've got a few guys I wouldn't mind trying to pry out of that sinking ship. Palmieri is right at the top of that list.

Reactions: Hamurai

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Even if the Penguins don't get much out of Galchenyuk, the trade was needed.

I've heard people say (Maybe not on this board) that we could've got more, how? He literally tied Rutherford's hands by only wanting to go to Arizona. Even if Galchenyuk is gone by next season, we got a good defensive prospect out of it. Once again, it was a decent move for both teams. Kessel gets a coach he likes, the Penguins look way better without Kessel.

Reactions: Factorial

DonCherryForever

Nov 17, 2019
Trade on paper wasn't great and I absolutely love Phil, but sometimes a shake up is needed. The team has been playing really good. Geno and Galchenyuk are just now getting healthy and getting going. The forward depth looks unreal right now. Guys like Tanev, Blueger, Kahun, McCann, Lafferty. It's been unreal.

It's early but I'm having that feeling of being deep enough for Sid to lead the team to another Cup again like they were a few years ago.

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
It'd be nice if the Devils weren't a divisional opponent with our old GM manning the ship. They've got a few guys I wouldn't mind trying to pry out of that sinking ship. Palmieri is right at the top of that list.
I’m sure the divisional opponent aspect factors in, but Shero seems like the type of GM that’s going to make a move if it helps his team. I don’t think him being our former GM hurts or helps any current deals.

I also completely agree on Palmieri. I’d love him on the pens.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think this trade was fine.

The real issue is what Pens did with extra cap room. Tanev is on the 4th line where he belongs. So you spent $3.5 on a 4th liner basically. That really doesn’t help you that much...he is replaceable.

what you needed was to use the extra cap for a good top 9 forward

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Tanev isn't that replaceable. He forechecks at an elite level, draws penalties at an elite level, penalty kills at an elite level, eats defensive zone starts for breakfast... 4th line or not, he gives Sullivan 14 great minutes every night. The dude is earning that paycheck and might find himself in a top-9 role as the season goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad