Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Tocchet was on Spittin Chiclets (recorded before the trade) and he told stories about how Kessel was key to that team because it was overly serious, and he always lightened the mood. He was huge to the team’s psyche.

Also, it seemed like Tocchet was the neutral party between the coaches and players. Sully would basically have Tocchet talk to the players for him. So now that falls on Recchi...scary thought

That’s what I was told from folks also re: Tocchet. It helped the team to have a coach they respected and be the intermediary between Sully and them. The team respects Sully because he is a leader and has their back he just needs someone to be the voice in between. He was good at focusing the emotion from the players on the game instead of becoming more focused on the emotion and becoming emotional train wrecks.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That’s what I was told from folks also re: Tocchet. It helped the team to have a coach they respected and be the intermediary between Sully and them. The team respects Sully because he is a leader and has their back he just needs someone to be the voice in between. He was good at focusing the emotion from the players on the game instead of becoming more focused on the emotion and becoming emotional train wrecks.

I've heard similar . . . :popcorn:

Definitely curious to see if Sullivan has had his own 'look in the mirror' moment this summer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've heard similar . . . :popcorn:

Definitely curious to see if Sullivan has had his own 'look in the mirror' moment this summer.

It would be nice if he hired another AC anyway, IMO, because Martin's a zillion years old, and Recchi's... well, Recchi.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

*stares at Mark Recchi*

Ho hum.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It would be nice if he hired another AC anyway, IMO, because Martin's a zillion years old, and Recchi's... well, Recchi.

giphy.gif

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
So,

There are plenty of spots on the now deeper roster to make those up. Not to mention you getting a bunch back defensively.

Deeper roster?

A bunch back? Galy is literally Kessel lite.... plus the Tanev signing puts Bjugstad or Rust at risk of being traded....

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Deeper roster?

A bunch back? Galy is literally Kessel lite.... plus the Tanev signing puts Bjugstad or Rust at risk of being traded....

1. Yes he Kessel Light lighter on offense but less horrendous on defense.

2. Bjustad and or Rust have not been traded. Even if they are traded, the thing about trades are that you get something in return.

3. We also got a pretty good prospect at the position of most immediate need and shallowest depth.

Reactions: Burn

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens had numerous reasons for trading Kessel. Cap room, declining play and just couldn't carry a third line. But the larger issue is refitting the roster to give Sid and a Malkin more help. I don't see Galchenyuk being the PP RH shot needed on the off wing but Bjugstad has the size and reach to be that guy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pens had numerous reasons for trading Kessel. Cap room, declining play and just couldn't carry a third line. But the larger issue is refitting the roster to give Sid and a Malkin more help. I don't see Galchenyuk being the PP RH shot needed on the off wing but Bjugstad has the size and reach to be that guy.

Except Galchenyuk can't carry a 3rd line either, Kessel's "declining play" saw him tie his 2nd highest point total ever and was oodles more productive than Galchenyuk has ever been in every situation, and we used the cap room we gained to sign Tanev.

So...that raises some questions.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just like James Neal was traded at the height of his production which got halved immediately.

It'd almost be analogous if Neal was traded for a similarly one-dimensional scorer who was paid slightly less money but was about half as productive and a UFA at the end of the year.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Just like James Neal was traded at the height of his production which got halved immediately.

Just like James Neal's production was only doubled by playing with Geno. He simply reverted to mortal James Neal. Kessel was at PPG for 3/4 seasons in TOR before the trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just like James Neal's production was only doubled by playing with Geno. He simply reverted to mortal James Neal. Kessel was at PPG for 3/4 seasons in TOR before the trade.
The biggest thing that gives me hope is that galchenyuk has a really good one timer. Much better than Kessel. So maybe it clicks just right and we can call his career away from us mortal galchenyuk like we do Neal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We didn't replace Neal until they traded for Kessel, who frankly is better than Neal by leaps and bounds.

If Crosby , Malkin and Kessel shot more, I have no doubts they "all" crack 100 points, but they refused to shoot when they could have.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel today is nothing even close to Kessel in Toronto, just looking at points is a very inaccurate measure. Kessel is a 65 point winger who farmed powerplay points for the Penguins in the last 2 years. If Kessel today was still Kessel of 2013, he would have put up 110 points with the Penguins. He was an absolute monster at ES while in Toronto, he's not that anymore. He's going to see the same decline in production that Neal had, his best is going to fall by about 20 points.

Neal had that fall in production due to a decline in powerplay production. Neal's ES production didn't change all that much after getting traded, he had 55 ES points in 99 games in his last 2 seasons in Pittsburgh followed by 77 ES points in 147 games the next 2 years with Nashville. That's not a huge decline, the huge decline came from him falling from 38 PP points per 82 games to 10 PP points per 82 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad