Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Looks like his nickname can indeed be Gally. Seeing as his Twitter handle is AGally94.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tocchet was on Spittin Chiclets (recorded before the trade) and he told stories about how Kessel was key to that team because it was overly serious, and he always lightened the mood. He was huge to the team’s psyche.

Also, it seemed like Tocchet was the neutral party between the coaches and players. Sully would basically have Tocchet talk to the players for him. So now that falls on Recchi...scary thought

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
So fun fact Galchenyuk's career high (56 points) is only slightly above Kessel's career lows (well excluding his 37 point rookie season), and Galy's high was in 82 games while again excluding his rookie season (82 Games) Kessel's lows were in 48 (52 points) and 70 (55 points) games.

Basically Galy's ceiling is Kessel's floor.

In the two seasons that we won kessel averaged 64 points.

If Galchenyuk is a 50+ point winger we will be just fine

Reactions: Turin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tocchet was on Spittin Chiclets (recorded before the trade) and he told stories about how Kessel was key to that team because it was overly serious, and he always lightened the mood. He was huge to the team’s psyche.

Also, it seemed like Tocchet was the neutral party between the coaches and players. Sully would basically have Tocchet talk to the players for him. So now that falls on Recchi...scary thought

Covered in the OT thread, but certainly reasonable to think after listening that Tocchet was the Geno whisperer in addition to being the Phil whisperer.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How do Pens feel about Galchenyuk moving forward?

Yay or nay?

Don't think I'm adding much to the convo by saying; bought his jersey and was a huge fan as a kid hoping hed be the next best thing. Very good shot and release, poor accuracy. Seems like the guy just always went for top corner vs. Actually getting it in the net. Scored 30 as a Habs with no one to set him up other than Radulov and PP minutes. I think hes a really good passer and has vision in the offensive zone, but you don't see it very often.

Good solid hands, really was a dangler in mtl and tried to dangle his way out of everything. Especially in the offensive zone. He was a really flashy player that was too flashy and didnt get enough done for the team. Probably why management traded him in the end. Skates alright, a little slow.. We all know his defence and two way play thats why hes a pure winger not a C. Like he's the opposite of a 2-way centerman... Lol

With Crosby/Malkin he could make something good/better of himself. The two make everyone around them better, thats what #1C do in general.

That said, most likely won't match up to Kessel's production. Which is all that matters in galchenyuk's playing style. Could skyrocket, like Kessel did when he came to pittsburgh iirc. Hes younger tho? Plus you have a 1st round prospect. Enjoy

I'm intrigued by the idea that he could take the next step here in his career and become an elite scorer playing alongside our talent. If he can become the player he was expected to be when drafted, then this trade will be a huge steal for the Pens.

That said he has been in the league for 7 years now. Maybe he just is what he is which so far has been a 20-25 goal/40-50ish point guy. If that's what he ends up being here, then the Pens probably lose this trade unless PO Joseph becomes something because you can probably expect Kessel to out produce that type of pace even in Arizona.

What I'm curious about is how Gally will end up being away from the puck. I'm sure he will do at least what he has done so far in his career here, but if he can become a better player away from the puck then that is something that could be hugely beneficial to Geno/Sid. Kessel produces well but that's all he does. He's an abortion off the puck and defensively.

Gally doesn't have a much better rep there, but hopefully he can change all that here. We know Kessel is never gonna change at this point. He is what he is.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Again, not to be cynical, but the other way the Pens win the trade is if Kessel doesn't produce.

Not sure I necessarily buy that narrative. I could Kessel producing far less in Arizona and some people saying "see I told you so" when the reality is of course he's gonna produce less in Arizona when he doesn't have a powerplay with Crosby and Malkin on it. And Gally may well produce more than he did in Arizona for the same reasons.

Doesn't mean that if Kessel and Gally both played 82 games here that Kessel wouldn't outproduce him most of the time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not sure I necessarily buy that narrative. I could Kessel producing far less in Arizona and some people saying "see I told you so" when the reality is of course he's gonna produce less in Arizona when he doesn't have a powerplay with Crosby and Malkin on it. And Gally may well produce more than he did in Arizona for the same reasons.

Doesn't mean that if Kessel and Gally both played 82 games here that Kessel wouldn't outproduce him most of the time.

No, but if Kessel drops off a cliff, then the Pens sold at the right time. Again, I'm not saying it's likely, but it is possible, and it would be a win for the Pens, even if Sasha doesn't come close to replacing the offense.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I think had Kessel been kept it would be extremely hard to re-sign Murray/McCann and still retain Kessel. Other clubs would know this as well and the return for a year older Kessel when they need to move him to afford Murray/McCann would be much less.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No, but if Kessel drops off a cliff, then the Pens sold at the right time. Again, I'm not saying it's likely, but it is possible, and it would be a win for the Pens, even if Sasha doesn't come close to replacing the offense.

Agreed.

We do have cap flexibility too should Gally not work out here. We can just let him walk in that case since he's a UFA after this year. Although given JR's track record in free agency maybe I shouldn't view that as a positive lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It was time for both parties to move on. It sucks that the deal was essentially Galchenyuk, Tanev and POJ. But if one of those players pans out into a Penguins regular I'm okay with it.

Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It was time for both parties to move on. It sucks that the deal was essentially Galchenyuk, Tanev and POJ. But if one of those players pans out into a Penguins regular I'm okay with it.

Yeah, agreed.

And again, had Kessel not veto'd Minnesota, we potentially could have gotten a bigger return. Not his fault, really, I'm just saying that's an unintended consequence of exercising his right of refusal.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So fun fact Galchenyuk's career high (56 points) is only slightly above Kessel's career lows (well excluding his 37 point rookie season), and Galy's high was in 82 games while again excluding his rookie season (82 Games) Kessel's lows were in 48 (52 points) and 70 (55 points) games.

Basically Galy's ceiling is Kessel's floor.

It’s also just 3 points below what Kessel got in 16.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Covered in the OT thread, but certainly reasonable to think after listening that Tocchet was the Geno whisperer in addition to being the Phil whisperer.

I don’t think that’s reasonable at all.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think had Kessel been kept it would be extremely hard to re-sign Murray/McCann and still retain Kessel. Other clubs would know this as well and the return for a year older Kessel when they need to move him to afford Murray/McCann would be much less.
Or you know, stop making awful free agent signings...

Kessel was very far down on the list of overpaid Penguins. He’s just one of the few that is worth a damn.

It’s okay to admit it was a foolish trade; the Pens will still let you come to games if you criticize the team.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Or you know, stop making awful free agent signings...

Kessel was very far down on the list of overpaid Penguins. He’s just one of the few that is worth a damn.

It’s okay to admit it was a foolish trade; the Pens will still let you come to games if you criticize the team.
I’m not going to critizize anyone, I’m glad the lazy fat f*** is gone. He can go pout in Arizona.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Well, I liked Phil but it was time to go.

Our defense won't miss him, they called his defensive zone side , "The Black Hole", cause he was never there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad