Confirmed with Link: Kessel and a 4th to Arizona for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
By just stats watching, POJ’s production in junior the past two years is certainly underwhelming for a guy who was drafted for his offense.

Not sure that is accurate. Everything I've read indicates he is a defensive defenseman who can skate and handle the puck. We'll see how well he develops but I don't think anyone ever counted on him to make a huge impact offensively, even in his draft year.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Yup look at the roster now

Jake 24
Galchenyuk 25
Bjug 26

Rust 27
McCann 23
Kahun 23

Simon 24
Teddy 24
ZAR 24

Petts 23
Riikola 25

Dumo and Guds 27

Murray 25
Desmith 27

Only 5 players are above 30 and one of them is JMFJ. 32 is the oldest.
Bolded are new additions. Kind of impressive youth movement when you see it laid out
I see a bunch of bottom Sixers and bottom pair D. Sorry to ruin the party.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The advantage of youth is potential improvement and (usually) a cheaper contract, but the offensive gap between Galchenyuk and Kessel is too big for the former's reasonable potential to overcome, and the latter is on a sweetheart deal.

I don't see much reason to celebrate that. Younger does not automatically equal better.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just so we're clear, what did you want JR to do with Phil? And if the answer is keep him, where would you have played him if you were Sullivan?

Keep him and play him exactly where he played last season, but play one of Rust or McCann on his LW and healthy scratch JJ.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The advantage of youth is potential improvement and (usually) a cheaper contract, but the offensive gap between Galchenyuk and Kessel is too big for the former's reasonable potential to overcome, and the latter is on a sweetheart deal.

I don't see much reason to celebrate that. Younger does not automatically equal better.

The minute 81 was out of here we were going to be left with a huge gap between Kessel's production and anyone else. It is that simple. This was the classic idea of when we change... we are going to have to need the system/culture to be on point because we can no longer just let Sid/Kessel/G go do their thing.

System/culture/etc HAVE to be on point. We can't try to be big, fast, annoying, physical, and great on the boards all at once. We are going to have to pick whatever route we go and go all in at it. System/structure has to be there.

Reactions: Dominance

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Keep him and play him exactly where he played last season, but play one of Rust or McCann on his LW and healthy scratch JJ.

But that just is not based in reality. We all knew he was leaving.

You are living in a fantasy world if that was your plan, no offense.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA

Yeah, I'm more concerned with getting better not necessarily younger. For a team like the Penguins that wants to win now talent trumps youth.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The minute 81 was out of here we were going to be left with a huge gap between Kessel's production and anyone else. It is that simple. This was the classic idea of when we change... we are going to have to need the system/culture to be on point because we can no longer just let Sid/Kessel/G go do their thing.

System/culture/etc HAVE to be on point. We can't try to be big, fast, annoying, physical, and great on the boards all at once. We are going to have to pick whatever route we go and go all in at it. System/structure has to be there.

I simply don't buy into that. Kessel was there when we had an extremely well-defined identity.

We struggled because we had shitty players getting too much icetime and some truly baffling line choices. That the team figured a player who had been as productive and as big a part of our Cup wins as Kessel shows that their evaluating skills leave something to be desired. He didn't change, they did. Now we have a younger and far worse version of Kessel, and we're supposed to be better off for it?

People don't realize how much a team misses a player as dependable and productive as Kessel.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But that just is not based in reality. We all knew he was leaving.

You are living in a fantasy world if that was your plan, no offense.

None taken. We all knew the Pens signing JJ to a mammoth contract was a catastrophic unforced error.

That doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Reactions: Shady Machine

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Phew. Sometimes a GM need to sleep better. Positive dreams now. What to do with cap space.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Finishing the fix on D is a big part of the ballgame.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I'm more concerned with getting better not necessarily younger. For a team like the Penguins that wants to win now talent trumps youth.

Yes - to some extent. However I think Kessel being off the team is a good thing. The fact that we're getting younger is a good thing. Hopefully Gally can be an effective LW. If he can, that too would be a good thing for us.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
Gally - Malkin - Hornqvist
McCann - Bjugstad - Rust
Simon - Blueger - Reese

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I completely disagree with this.

Kessel is who he is. He just put up 82 points while the overall team floundered. Team defense, not Kessel defense, suffered this past year. The criticisms of Phil’s game this past year are the same ones you could make when he was a leaf. The Penguins only care now because they need something else.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Kessel didn't flounder worse then most. And yes his defense suffered this past year.

Reactions: Dominance and Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Kessel’s quote about Rutherford coming up to him and telling him “you’ll never be a Penguin again” means he’s either lying or probably did something that really, really pissed off JR.. which is saying something because Kessel was JR’s baby.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
This feels like a reset of some kind, where they're now more of a team overall, maybe more competitive, but not quite contenders. They really need another gamebreaker on offense or a good to great top 4 guy, kind of like when Kessel or Daley came in before. The metro is too much of a bloodbath to win with endless 2nd and 3rd line wingers, weird center depth (many centers who are not centers), and a weak d-core past the first line. Unless they get really, really lucky.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
My two cents.

From the outside, it seemed like a big rift between management and Kessel and from that point on, moving him was inevitable. Neither management (JR and Sully) nor Kessel seem like the type of dudes to genuinely go "all good, water under the bridge, lets do this". Again, based on my feeling from the outside.

Am I enthused by the return? Not at all. I think the most positive thing I can say about Galchenyuk is that he's UFA next summer and we can possibly clear his cap hit, and by extension, Kessel's cap hit. With that cap space, you can acquire someone you actually want. I understand that JR's hand was tied by Kessel's unwillingness (which is his right, no qualms about it) to move and that this might have been the only move available.

I don't necessarily think the Pens are worse off as a team, though. Kessel is a far better offensive player than Galchenyuk, but hopefully Galchenyuk comes in without the other stuff that, for better or worse, Kessel carries with him that rub some people the wrong way.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The Penguins lost this trade. I don't know much about Joseph, but if people really had a problem with Kessel, they are not going to love Galchenyuk's game either.

Usually, when you trade the best player, you lose the trade. That's what happened here. And for less than 2 million in cap saving (and for just one season!).

Hopefully JR has something up his sleeve.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
To the people who are crapping on this thread I ask this:

What did you want with Phil Kessel and his contract? Keep him throughout the contract? OR what did you want to trade him for?

To those who absolutely love this trade I ask this:

You do realize we lost an elite goal-scorer who could change a game in a blink of an eye, right? That is irreplaceable and the guy produced.
Can't deny that.

Sure didn't produce all that much over the 2nd half of the season at ES... over the final 41 games Blueger had just as many ES goals as Kessel. McCann was on pace for 2 less ES points as Kessel over that span.

Are we going to miss him? Absolutely. But I think that will mainly be restricted to the PP. At ES he's replaceable.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
"General manager Jim Rutherford said late Saturday night that Kessel, as controversial as he is gifted, asked the Penguins to be traded numerous times during the past season. "

It's Yohe, so I'm not sure how many here will believe it. Kessel's take (again from Yohe):

“I’m not sure that’s exactly what happened,” Kessel said. “Jim came to me one time and said, ‘(You’ll) never be a Penguin again.’ I think he’s mistaken a little bit there. But I don’t want to get involved in that. I’m not here to tell what really happened and the real truth, but whatever Jim wants to say.”

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
I would be shocked if Kessels career does not sink like a brick. Maybe he has 2 more years in him. That’s what AZ is banking on.

Kessel will go from top 6 winger to unable to play on the 4th line. It could happen at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad